No announcement yet.

This is Photography

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I originally did B&W photography back in high school... but that was about 9 years ago, and I stopped for several years in between so I've forgotten a lot. I do miss developing film in the darkroom though...
    aka denyo77

Originally posted by Andy.B
    Give it five years, and kids might be covering their cars with Astroturf. Style is relative.

Comment

Originally posted by lambo View Post
      Any suggestions for reading material to help me learn concepts on how to really utilize a DSLR's abilities?

Also, how many of you guys actually took classes for photography and how many of you are strictly self-taught?
      I'm 100% self taught. I started shooting when I was about 10 years old using a Miranda 35mm full manual camera (from the early '60s). The curtin gave up and I didn't have a camera for years till I got a Nikon FM10 full manual SLR in college. I shot that till I wore it out and got a cheap point and shoot digital one. It wasn't till I bought my D7000 that I really got back into shooting decent pictures. I've been lucky enough to have a few pictures published, and a few others used on websites. I'd love to try selling a few, but I don't have a venue to do so.

My best advice is to go out and experiment. Its not like you are wasting film. If the picture sucks, delete it and try again.

Will
      '59 Alfa Romeo 101.02 Giulietta Sprint
      '69 Alfa Romeo 105.51 1750 GTV (R.I.P)
      '69 Datsun 2000 roadster Vintage race car
      '88 BMW M3

Comment

100% self taught although I would love to spend more time shooting or even take a class if I had the time. When I first started I was on youtube all the time but I still go back or google stuff and spend hours reading up and watching videos before I try a new type of shot.
        sigpic
        TRANSACTION FEEDBACK HERE
        FOR SALE ITEMS HERE

Comment

Originally posted by strang3majik View Post
          Its funny because I go back and look at the images and they don't seem all that grainy...lol Many have a minor blur as well...even if using a tripod.

Its mostly when editing them that I see it, especially in paint and in the greens of trees, shrubber, etc. I'll try to find a good example.

As far as how I shoot...I'm almost always in full manual mode. ISO almost never leaves 100 unless its a low light situation, then I hate going anymore than 400, 800 if its necessary, and even then I usually throw out those images.

Only thing I usually have on AUTO is white balance, and unless theres an issue, usually auto focus. My camera also has noise reduction, which I have on. I haven't tried shooting with it off before,nor have I ever switched the VR on the lens off.

So, I'm not sure if any of that has anything to do with it.

But let me hunt for a good pic. Photobucket and/or Flickr will downgrade them quite a bit but I'll try. Lol.

Thanks though guys...I'll look into those lenses.
          if your shooting from a tripod there is your problem, because the Image stabilization is still hunting even though its stationary. Try your tirpod shots with the VR/IS off, I assume your using a release or shutter timer right.

Originally posted by lambo
          Any suggestions for reading material to help me learn concepts on how to really utilize a DSLR's abilities?

It really helped me brush back up when I got back into the photo hobby after being out of it for better than a decade. Other wise I learned much of it from my grandpa as a youngin
          Originally posted by Fusion
          If a car is the epitome of freedom, than an electric car is house arrest with your wife titty fucking your next door neighbor.
          The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money. -Alexis de Tocqueville

The Desire to Save Humanity is Always a False Front for the Urge to Rule it- H. L. Mencken

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants.
          William Pitt-

Comment

Originally posted by mrsleeve View Post
            if your shooting from a tripod there is your problem, because the Image stabilization is still hunting even though its stationary. Try your tirpod shots with the VR/IS off, I assume your using a release or shutter timer right.

It really helped me brush back up when I got back into the photo hobby after being out of it for better than a decade. Other wise I learned much of it from my grandpa as a youngin
            I don't know if that is the issue or not. I shoot all my shots with the VR on and never have the issue that occurs in the pic in question. Often in the low light situations I'm somewhere there is a breeze and the camera might be moving just enough to appease the VR. That said, all the black and white pics of the ships I posted earlier were shot using a tripod due to the very dark IR filter I had on the camera. Its almost like a back focus issue with the lens, not the settings. I'd try a different lens and see if it does the same thing.

Will
            '59 Alfa Romeo 101.02 Giulietta Sprint
            '69 Alfa Romeo 105.51 1750 GTV (R.I.P)
            '69 Datsun 2000 roadster Vintage race car
            '88 BMW M3

Comment

yeah very well could be the lens has its own issues. I have had similar soft slight OOF issues with my 28-135 USM with longer tripod exposures with the I/S on. Might as well eliminate the easy stuff 1st before we start talking about a lens being outta cal or having its own issues, or a camera or sensor issue it self...... Yes I would second the trying another lens as well to see if the issue persists

Originally posted by BlackbirdM3 View Post
              I don't know if that is the issue or not. I shoot all my shots with the VR on and never have the issue that occurs in the pic in question. Often in the low light situations I'm somewhere there is a breeze and the camera might be moving just enough to appease the VR. That said, all the black and white pics of the ships I posted earlier were shot using a tripod due to the very dark IR filter I had on the camera. Its almost like a back focus issue with the lens, not the settings. I'd try a different lens and see if it does the same thing.

Will
              Originally posted by Fusion
              If a car is the epitome of freedom, than an electric car is house arrest with your wife titty fucking your next door neighbor.
              The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money. -Alexis de Tocqueville

The Desire to Save Humanity is Always a False Front for the Urge to Rule it- H. L. Mencken

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants.
              William Pitt-

Comment

I've barely started getting into photography myself.
                Always wanted to, but couldn't pay to play. Now I can, so my teachers are:

Google
                Forums
                YouTube
                Friends
                Etc.

Oh and practicing, it's amazing how much you learn from just going out and doing it.
                sigpic

Comment

Really nice photos. I enjoyed the pic with the lambhorgini Diablo..
                  BacklinksVault

Comment

LOTSA nice images in this thread! Tuesday in atl.

Attached Files
                    grain of salt:p

http://https://youtu.be/H8gOAzYchAE:ot:

Comment

A few from this morning, no editing as of yet.

DSC_2774 by E30Maniacs, on Flickr

DSC_2810 by E30Maniacs, on Flickr

DSC_2754 by E30Maniacs, on Flickr

DSC_2751 by E30Maniacs, on Flickr

Been shooting pure manual. Turns out I still need a lot of practice...

Go here be happy!

Ratchet Garage e30 V8 build.

Comment

Just picked this case up for my S95. I brought my dslr with me camping and got sand in the lens and decided I need to bring my P&S and a good water case for when we spear fish, kayak etc.

Some test shots in the pool.

sigpic
                        FOR SALE ITEMS HERE

Comment

do they make a better front lens? bc that once is distorting your pics pretty bad.
                          Much wow
                          I hate 4 doors

Comment

Hmmm, I dont know, I should check in to that. This is a $125 chinese case so I wasn't expecting perfection.
                            sigpic
                            FOR SALE ITEMS HERE

Comment

Follow my IG @bouchezphotography

Comment

Flare in that first pic is coming off very fake and overly distracting IMO.

Comment

Working...
                                X