This is Photography

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

To clarify,
    I've owned all of the lens's since I owned the rebel (2008 or so) except the 18-135 and the 40. I'm disappointed that I haven't used my 60d enough, I basically bought it and it has since sat in my bag save for a trip to Washington state. It seems that I had bought the camera and then kinda fell out of being interested in photography and now I'm trying to get back in.
    I understand that the lens' I have are not of the best quality/ might not hold up to the elements.
    I was mostly looking for suggestions on equipment, Lens' , filters etc.

Flickr

@michael.colby on Instagram

"All he needed was a wheel in his hand and four on the road"

Comment

Originally posted by almostacrayon View Post
      You've got a good panning technique, the cars are nice and crisp and the bg is blurred enough. If you want more blur without slower speeds a longer lens would help.
      Thanks yeh all I currently have is a 24-70mm f2.8 L and a sigma 150-500mm the sigma was to long for where I was standing so I was limited to the 24-70. I really keen on getting a 70-200 to fill the gap, but can't afford the canon so I am looking at getting the sigma 70-200 simply because it has outstanding AF.

defernelty want more more bg blur with a higher shutter speed the picture with the porsche was at 1/60
      sigpic

Comment

man I have not been able to get out and do anything with any of my gear that is worth posting at all. Even fall time in OH/IN was so blah its not worth breaking out the camera. And working 7 days a week where a real camera can get you run off the job if the wrong thing is photographed but I digress

On that note this is about the best thing I have shot in the last 2 months
        Originally posted by Fusion
        If a car is the epitome of freedom, than an electric car is house arrest with your wife titty fucking your next door neighbor.
        The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money. -Alexis de Tocqueville

The Desire to Save Humanity is Always a False Front for the Urge to Rule it- H. L. Mencken

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants.
        William Pitt-

Comment

Originally posted by noE30 View Post
          To clarify,
          I've owned all of the lens's since I owned the rebel (2008 or so) except the 18-135 and the 40. I'm disappointed that I haven't used my 60d enough, I basically bought it and it has since sat in my bag save for a trip to Washington state. It seems that I had bought the camera and then kinda fell out of being interested in photography and now I'm trying to get back in.
          I understand that the lens' I have are not of the best quality/ might not hold up to the elements.
          Since its a full frame camera, your lens choices will change pretty drastically from what you're used to. I would start with a 35 or 50 prime.

Canon makes a good cheap 50mm prime http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...f_1_4_usm.html

Sigma makes an epic 35mm prime
          http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc..._4_dg_hsm.html

I would also consider a fader filter, or a set of good ND filters. There are plenty, but remember you get what you pay for, I personally like Light Craft brand.

This website is great for previewing lenses http://pixel-peeper.com
          Now look, I am not evil. My loan officer said so.

Comment

Originally posted by thearkitekt View Post
            Since its a full frame camera, your lens choices will change pretty drastically from what you're used to. I would start with a 35 or 50 prime.

Canon makes a good cheap 50mm prime http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...f_1_4_usm.html

Sigma makes an epic 35mm prime

I would also consider a fader filter, or a set of good ND filters. There are plenty, but remember you get what you pay for, I personally like Light Craft brand.

This website is great for previewing lenses http://pixel-peeper.com

The 60d isn't full frame, although I think the 6D is.

Flickr

@michael.colby on Instagram

"All he needed was a wheel in his hand and four on the road"

Comment

^

yes 60d is a generation old now 1.6 Crop sensor camera and yes the 6D is full frame
              Originally posted by Fusion
              If a car is the epitome of freedom, than an electric car is house arrest with your wife titty fucking your next door neighbor.
              The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money. -Alexis de Tocqueville

The Desire to Save Humanity is Always a False Front for the Urge to Rule it- H. L. Mencken

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants.
              William Pitt-

Comment

Originally posted by pantelones View Post
                I'm sorry, but I had to quote this in regards of utter bullshit...

First off, the 50mm 1.8f is an extremely versatile lens, and it weighs nothing/takes up barley any space; same with the "pancake" lens. Prime lenses promote creativity, they don't allow you to "point and shoot". They force you to use your head when composing a shot, as apposed to getting all excited and rushing to click and stare at the back of your camera...

The 18-135 kit lens was a lot better than I expected it to be. Good coatings, color correctness, and sharpness. Barely any PS in this shot...
                i laugh. you have posted some good advice above...especially about the tripod and the filters. i can agree to disagree with you about the lens choices. its pretty bold to say my advice is bullshit because you were taught or prefer something else. no offense, but the pics you posted lack the artistic quality to back up your boldness behind your computer screen.

true bullshit is that nonsense about being forced to take time to compose and be artistic with primes. that is amateur jibberish that teachers tell their students before they know how to shoot. most of your comments above sound like you are mimicking whatever some photography instructor told you when you first started.

don't get me wrong, i am all for prime lenses. i own 6 focal lengths for my 4x5. good for you for carrying a 50mm in your slr kit and enjoying its use. however, it is redundancy in regard to the zooms that he already has. can you get better photos with the 50mm prime? perhaps....what difference does it make if you don't know how to compose a photograph? the wider aperture is nice but the tripod you suggest negates most of them. its just extra weight rolling around in your pack taking up space.

one thing is for sure, i won't be wasting space in my backpack to carry cheap normal primes around with me when i can get better utility with a good quality zoom. perhaps an 8mm f3.5 fisheye, 20mm f2 or an 80mm f1.4 for certain situations.

you mention that his wide sigma zoom and the two normal primes are the lenses he will use the most? how in the world can you say that? perhaps they are the ones YOU would use the most. this factor depends on the type of pics he likes to take. i, personally, shoot very few photos in the normal range. since i shoot mostly landscapes and environmental portraits, the wide spectrum and the tele spectrum suit me best. you don't see me making bold generalizations about which lenses will or will not find useful because i have the experience to know every photographer is different.

oh....kit lenses ARE crap. can you take acceptable photos or snapshots with them under normal circumstances? sure. the example you posted is a decent photo i suppose but will it win a contest? i suggest cropping it. consider taking off the dark areas on the left and right because they don't add to the pic.

you certainly have some good points, but it just seems like you are disagreeing with pretty much everything i said just for the sake of argument. i have been shooting for over 20 years now. i have been through a few college classes in photography just for the basics. the knowledge that came from there could have come from no where else. there is no way i would be the photographer i am today without that experience. anyone who reads this can take or disregard my free advice for whatever it is worth.....
                Last edited by flyboyx; 11-13-2013, 12:37 AM.
                sigpic
                Gigitty Gigitty!!!!

88 cabrio becoming alpina b6 3.5s transplanted s62
                92 Mtech 2 cabrio alpinweiss 770 code
                88 325ix coupe manual lachsilber/cardinal
                88 325ix coupe manual diamondschwartz/natur
                87 e30 m3 for parts lachsilber/cardinal(serial number 7)
                12 135i M sport cabrio grey/black

Comment

Originally posted by noE30 View Post
                  To clarify,

My bad for not looking through your flickr first; I must have over looked that... You seem to know what your doing and have a good eye. So, pretty much get a set of GND filters that are quality. Again, the glass you already have is fine... Count on spending a couple hundred dollars on the filter set. Have you used KEH.com? They sell very, and I mean very good quality used equipment so I would take a look to see what they have available in your lens mm diameter. Also consider the square type of filters; they can be moved around, and set either horizontally,vertically, or rotated to your liking. A good article...

sigpic

A man chooses, a slave obeys... Would you kindly?

Comment

Originally posted by flyboyx View Post
                    i laugh.

Me too... None of the shots I posted were meant to show my artistic ability, they were just examples. I pretty much gave up shooting a few years ago and have not been able to show my visual and spacial progression. I have a few physical shots that I am proud of, but most are still in my head. Honestly... :wgaf:
                    sigpic

A man chooses, a slave obeys... Would you kindly?

Comment

Originally posted by Nsquared97 View Post
                      How do you like that lens? I have been looking into that as most likely my next lens.
                      it depends on your needs. generally higher end sigma zooms have really good glass and the lowest aberation/distortion of the aftermarket lens companies. do you need f2.8? how many lenses are you willing to carry? if that is the focal length you need, i would say its a good choice. if you want wide apertures, and the best quality, you might be better served with canon "L" series lenses if they fit your budget at 3x the price.
                      sigpic
                      Gigitty Gigitty!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by mrsleeve View Post
                        ^

yes 60d is a generation old now 1.6 Crop sensor camera and yes the 6D is full frame
                        damn it all and my inability to read! really read that the first time as 6D...my bad!
                        Now look, I am not evil. My loan officer said so.

Comment

Comment

^i like the avant garde under exposed look of these pix.
                            sigpic
                            Gigitty Gigitty!!!!

Comment

I'll share some of the stuff I've been doing lately.

Details:

Nikon F3
                              400ISO
                              35mm
                              35-105mm lens

Taking a B/W film class at school right now and I'm really enjoying it. I've dabbled with it in the past, but this is the first time I've put much effort into my shots. All the pictures were developed by me and are 8x10 format. Scanning them lost some detail in the dark areas of the print, which sucks, but oh well!

Let me know what you think! *boarders are a little funky from scanning them*

320I - under construction

Comment

Originally posted by Massimo View Post
                                Thanks yeh all I currently have is a 24-70mm f2.8 L and a sigma 150-500mm the sigma was to long for where I was standing so I was limited to the 24-70. I really keen on getting a 70-200 to fill the gap, but can't afford the canon so I am looking at getting the sigma 70-200 simply because it has outstanding AF.

defernelty want more more bg blur with a higher shutter speed the picture with the porsche was at 1/60
                                Nice stuff, I wish I had 500mm reach!! That would have been sick for Time Attack!!

Here is one of them fangled B+W images... I'm still not sure how to correctly do the high impact style ones but I'll keep trying.
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X