No announcement yet.

This is Photography

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Did some shooting the other night at my friends workshop for the UT FSAE team. First shot is of the German team (I forget the university) but theyre backed by Audi. Amazing car, very very fast

Shot of my friend

Edited

Him welding

Question: who has done welding shots? what setting do you use? I've tried a few different ones but I'm still not thrilled with the results.

Shots were done with a Nikon D40 body and Sigma 70-300 Lens
    Last edited by thearkitekt; 05-05-2011, 06:45 AM.
    Now look, I am not evil. My loan officer said so.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike325 View Post
      Nice pics. What are the settings you used?
      Thanks!

I shoot with the best primes that I can get a hold of for my friend's band that I shoot pretty consistently. Renting lenses for a weekend is something I've been doing for awhile since I can't afford to drop the coin for the lenses I really want. Plus if it's not a 2.8 or better then results won't be so great since the venues are almost always pretty dimly lit.

That night I was using the 50mm 1.4G and the incredible 24mm 1.4G. I shot mostly wide open but stopped them down to 2.8 for some shots. The ISO and shutter speed wasn't consistent either since I was playing with them some since the lighting had awesome moments to the not so awesome - and I don't like using my speedlight at venues. They had an extremely short set too, so by the time I eventually liked what I was shooting it was over - but that happens.

Camera was my new baby, D700. I still have a lot to learn about her.

Originally posted by thearkitekt View Post
      Question: who has done welding shots? what setting do you use? I've tried a few different ones but I'm still not thrilled with the results.
      Welding shot not what you're looking for detail wise I'm sure but I like it for it's purpose.

(with my old D60)
      Project Thread | Instagram | Phoenix, Arizona Events Thread

Comment

I need new a new body so bad. My Ive been shooting my D90 for like 2-3 years, its got like 100k clicks and I BEAT on my cameras. Not literally but I shoot in the rain, snow, dirt, and most of the time its just carried around in a generic backpack gettin slammed around. The AF is working at about 25% of how quick it was when i first got it. It can barely focus my AF-D lenses. IMO I dont wanna get another camera unless Its upgrading to full frame. I had my hopes on the D700 price dropping to where the 5D is once the d4/d400 were dropped but with the tsunami prices sky rockets on everything. I really dont wanna have to bite the bullet and get a d7000 and be stuck with crop sensor for another 2 years. I hate the fact that you cant get wide primes unless your shooting FX.

In other news I think Im going to trade my 17-55 2.8 for the 135 f/2. Ive drooled over that 135DC forever and once I got my 85 1.4 I wanted it even more becuase its basically the same lens just longer (long lenses<3). But like I said I like to go wide too and If i go through with this my widest lens will be my 35 wish isnt wide at all on DX.

Comment

I'm jealous of y'all and your portrait work
          Jason
          flickr

Comment

Originally posted by Jafxod View Post
            I need new a new body so bad. My Ive been shooting my D90 for like 2-3 years, its got like 100k clicks and I BEAT on my cameras. Not literally but I shoot in the rain, snow, dirt, and most of the time its just carried around in a generic backpack gettin slammed around. The AF is working at about 25% of how quick it was when i first got it. It can barely focus my AF-D lenses. IMO I dont wanna get another camera unless Its upgrading to full frame. I had my hopes on the D700 price dropping to where the 5D is once the d4/d400 were dropped but with the tsunami prices sky rockets on everything. I really dont wanna have to bite the bullet and get a d7000 and be stuck with crop sensor for another 2 years. I hate the fact that you cant get wide primes unless your shooting FX.

In other news I think Im going to trade my 17-55 2.8 for the 135 f/2. Ive drooled over that 135DC forever and once I got my 85 1.4 I wanted it even more becuase its basically the same lens just longer (long lenses<3). But like I said I like to go wide too and If i go through with this my widest lens will be my 35 wish isnt wide at all on DX.
            I'm planning a 5d switch for this very reason. Plus 28 1.8 is great and like 400 bucks... 5d+24L is the same price as just a d700...
            Originally posted by z31maniac
            I just hate everyone.

No need for discretion.

Comment

Originally posted by 87e30 View Post
              I'm planning a 5d switch for this very reason. Plus 28 1.8 is great and like 400 bucks... 5d+24L is the same price as just a d700...
              I know its insane, and the 5d is a SOLID camera, full frame, lots of awesome primes to pick from. I already ALMOST made the swap. I sold half my stuff gone but I had a wedding creeping up and wanted to stick with a system im used to. I <333 nikon and i wish there was another way but it doesnt look like it. Might have to rent a 5d and nice prime for the weekend and see if i could make the switch.

Comment

I know its insane, and the 5d is a SOLID camera, full frame, lots of awesome primes to pick from. I already ALMOST made the swap. I sold half my stuff gone but I had a wedding creeping up and wanted to stick with a system im used to. I <333 nikon and i wish there was another way but it doesnt look like it. Might have to rent a 5d and nice prime for the weekend and see if i could make the switch.
                Yeah I totally agree. I've shot a 5dII a bunch but not sure if I can handle 3fps and the 5d1. I have a d300 now so there is a nice set of features I'll be giving up. :(

On the plus side you know you want that 135 f/2 on full frame... mmm.
                I just hate everyone.

No need for discretion.

Comment

Ff omnomnomnom

Comment

yessssssss, it's drawing you in.
                    Jason
                    flickr

Comment

Originally posted by VicSkimmr View Post
                      yessssssss, it's drawing you in.
                      Nikon is better, Canon is cheaper. :p

Even with the money for a d700 I can't justify it... just not worth it when it's a casual hobby for me.
                      I just hate everyone.

No need for discretion.

Comment

I make a good amount of my 18 year old income from photography but the truth is ill make the same amount no matter what body I shoot as long as it work.

But i mean have you ever shot a d700? OM FUCKING NOM NOM NOM. Its a small D3....

Comment

I make a good amount of my 18 year old income from photography but the truth is ill make the same amount no matter what body I shoot as long as it work.

I envy you. I keep telling myself to become more proactive with this stuff but there is always other things going on (school, work, job hunting etc). Do you have a website? Shoot senior photos? weddings?
                          I just hate everyone.

No need for discretion.

Comment

Originally posted by 87e30 View Post
                            I envy you. I keep telling myself to become more proactive with this stuff but there is always other things going on (school, work, job hunting etc). Do you have a website? Shoot senior photos? weddings?
                            Trust me I'm no where no where near where I could be If I put anytime at all toward marketing myself. I see kids with half my talen (not being cocky) straight BANKING off shoots becuase they market the shit out of themselves. I havent got a job yet NOT from just a referall from friends/family. Ive shot 2 weddings but both were in the same family. Ive done a few small shoots. Weddings can be worth it if you take the time to prepare for them properely. Yeah I made 1900 bucks in a matter of hours but the meetings and scouting leading up to it and the weeks of PP afterwords definetly had them getting their money worth.

For now Im trying to keep my work and pleasure seperated, and photography is pleasure for me. As soon as it becomes not fun I dont wanna do it, which is why Im scared to start pushing paid stuff.

Never ever try to shoot a wedding without an assistant. HUGE help. So nice having another set of hands.

Comment

Who uses manual focus?

Comment

^you're back again?!?! I didn't realize you shot as much as you do. Pretty cool, I'd like to do portraiture for fun, weddings seem too stressful for me. I guess some people are okay with mediocre wedding photos but I couldn't be, and I know there are people with so much experience that they will blow me out of the water... even if they cost more it's worth it.
                                I just hate everyone.

No need for discretion.

Comment

Working...
                                X