Anyone into Go Karts

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Restoman
    replied
    If you want to start the 5 hp Briggs & Stratton race series I'm in! 30 years ago go karts by I think Murray were the best: bench seat, 2 piece wheels brakes were mostly a metal shoe against the tire, no shifting, no cage, no suspension. That was a go kart that made Summers worth it.

    Leave a comment:


  • M-technik-3
    replied
    Don't need to spend a exorbitant amount of money just because the Jones are. My kids are happy racing a GX210 it keeps costs down and they are involved.

    The last two years of our recession has caused many to sell of their karts look around. I run a TAG kart and it's fun. I don't attend all races in our region and couldn't just due to nature of my line of work but a weekend out at the track is a lot of fun.

    Leave a comment:


  • Pantless Spency
    replied
    Originally posted by Fusion
    HAHAHA lmfao at that pic and that facial expression

    Leave a comment:


  • delfin
    replied
    This is a pretty depressing thread.

    Leave a comment:


  • george graves
    replied
    You guys are crushing my hope and dreams....again. Damit.

    Leave a comment:


  • payney8
    replied
    Sorry george you got it back to front. 90% of the classes are expensive and the other 10% are cheap for the very reason they are 10-20 seconds slower around a 60 sec track. All depends on your involvment and dedication to the sport. Its hardcore addictive and once you get passed once you will be looking at ways to get a better kart and that always equals $$$ then generally stepping up to a better class once you have modified your kart and then again more $$$ until you get to one of the a grade classes or unlimited. Then its huge $$$ until you get a sponsership then your on ur way to a career in racing :)

    Leave a comment:


  • george graves
    replied
    Something tells me there is one or two classes that are that way, but I bet most 90% of the kart racing is budget stuff. I just buy it - at least I sure hope it's not that way.

    Usually they start to put rules into place if too much money starts to ruin a class.

    Leave a comment:


  • smurfs_182
    replied
    well thanks guys i was sittin here all excited to get into karting,

    stoned ideas rarely work out

    Leave a comment:


  • fryerfighter94
    replied
    Originally posted by M-technik-3
    There's another thread that discusses it. But depending on class it can be inexpensive or down right expensive.
    If you want to race lawnmowers then sure, its probably less expensive. Anything serious, and even the 4strokes to an extent and its insane.

    Leave a comment:


  • M-technik-3
    replied
    There's another thread that discusses it. But depending on class it can be inexpensive or down right expensive.

    Leave a comment:


  • fryerfighter94
    replied
    Originally posted by j0oftheworld
    E30 track car would be less than almost any shifter/TAG kart I'm afraid to say..
    You need the Kart and if it's a TAG, a service center, or if not be able to rebuild and tune, SPARES galore, wheels, slicks, rains, clutches, brakes, axles, Micron dash?, plastics, a stand, a trailer, (or a volvo V70 wagon) :) Race gas/jugs, different gear/parts for different classes/clubs, personal race/safety gear.
    Not trying to sound scary but most people think their just cheap/easy.
    In fact they're high maintenance and tires will run you $200/event.

    On my E30 it's $250 brakes and $500 tires per year and ~$30 in gas/day. :)
    Originally posted by george graves
    No way. I mean, I'm not calling you a liar, but that's crazy. Karting is suppose to be the cheapest form of racing. I just can't see 99% of karters spending 200 on tires a weekend. Were is this info from? Are you racing?
    Its the truth. Having raced since I was 5 I can say that it is crazy expensive, and my brother is racing TAG this year. Not only that, but theres like 3 different types of tag motors depending on the class that you want to run, and of course you need spares and such. Tires are expensive and NEED to be replaced every race. /feelsbadman.

    I think that racing Legends would be nearly expensive as well, FWIW.

    Originally posted by payney8
    If you want to be serious and competitive you will change slicks every race because red type tyres (stickiest) are loosing their effectivness after about from memory 5 heat cycles after the first two you do to prime the tyres. Its serious business. When i was seriously racing i was spending upwards of $300 a meet overall before you get into the 10k a year for a new frame + 3-4k for a new engine. Its the cheapest form of racing yes. But you can race cars cheaper in sprints etc. Because techincally its not racing because they are road registered. Racing go-karts is proper racing because they are a racing vehicle.
    tru shit

    Leave a comment:


  • z31maniac
    replied
    Originally posted by george graves
    No way. I mean, I'm not calling you a liar, but that's crazy. Karting is suppose to be the cheapest form of racing. I just can't see 99% of karters spending 200 on tires a weekend. Were is this info from? Are you racing?
    It's true, I looked into when I had the 318. Nearly bought Turk's OEM tow hitch for it. Decided doing it cheaply and getting your ass kicked all the timed seemed like a shitty way to spend a Saturday.

    Leave a comment:


  • payney8
    replied
    If you want to be serious and competitive you will change slicks every race because red type tyres (stickiest) are loosing their effectivness after about from memory 5 heat cycles after the first two you do to prime the tyres. Its serious business. When i was seriously racing i was spending upwards of $300 a meet overall before you get into the 10k a year for a new frame + 3-4k for a new engine. Its the cheapest form of racing yes. But you can race cars cheaper in sprints etc. Because techincally its not racing because they are road registered. Racing go-karts is proper racing because they are a racing vehicle.

    Leave a comment:


  • george graves
    replied
    Originally posted by j0oftheworld
    E30 track car would be less than almost any shifter/TAG kart I'm afraid to say....
    No way. I mean, I'm not calling you a liar, but that's crazy. Karting is suppose to be the cheapest form of racing. I just can't see 99% of karters spending 200 on tires a weekend. Were is this info from? Are you racing?

    Leave a comment:


  • Fusion
    replied

    Leave a comment:

Working...