Garage sale score!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Garage sale score!

My wife and I went to a subdivision-wide garage sale today, where almost every other house in the development has a garage sale on the same day. So as we were leaving, and not really finding anything worth buying, we checked out one last sale, at which a high-chair caught my wife's attention. But this story is not about the high chair.

There was a medium-sized glass door stereo cabinet in the garage, with a few components, and 2 speakers on top of the cabinet. There was a price sticker for a reasonable price on the cabinet, which I figured was just for the cabinet itself. Upon talking to the seller, I found out it was for the whole system. This is a list of what I just bought. Listed after each one are the relative retail price at the time they were new, and what they are worth now. Prices obtained using the Orion Home Stereo Blue Book.

Onkyo Integra Integrated Amplifier/Reciever / $590 / $100
    Yamaha CD player / $100 / $30
    Yamaha Stereo Tuner / $100 / $30
    Two Infinity RS 5000 speaker enclosures / $560 / $150
    Glass door component cabinet / $150 / $50

The Onkyo Intergra Amplifier was top of the line when it was new, and is still considered to be a very high-end amp, over 10 years later. The 2 Infinity speaker enclosures are each about 3 feet tall, and have an 8 inch woofer, very high end tweeters, and tons of features.

So we're looking at nearly $1600 (new) / $400-500 (used) worth of equipment here.

I got it all for 20 dollars.

I got it all for 20 dollars.
    nice....
    Originally posted by Matt-B
    hey does anyone know anyone who gets upset and makes electronics?

Comment

Great find! My home theater components are Yamaha. Can't say enough good things about them (Yamaha). Excellent performance for the price. Of course they have the really pricey, high end stuff too, but their middle of the line, price point is just as good. I'd highly recommend them to anyone looking to get into a new (or used) home audio system.
      sigpic

Comment

That is literally what I did when I saw that price... I recently picked up an LCD moniter and a TV for $55. The LCD alone is $150 new. Pretty good deal if I don't say so myself.
        PNW E30 CREW ///

Comment

ebay

Comment

^^^^ Shit I don't know if I would sell it. Granted you could get 500-600 bucks. What would you replace it with? Keep it. $20
            Estoril E36 M3/4/5 | Toledo E53 X5 3.0 | LeMans E90 335D M-Sport

Comment

There's no way in hell I'm selling any of this stuff.

Comment

I've been looking for a deal like that forever. My stereo is very incomplete.
                The BMW 318 is back. With a vengeance.

Comment

Are there garage sales on Sundays?

Comment

awesome score.
                    -alex
                    i take pictures.

Comment

What's the model # of the Onkyo?
                      Originally posted by Gruelius
                      and i do not know what bugg brakes are.

Comment

Originally posted by kencopperwheat
                        What's the model # of the Onkyo?
                        A 8180. It was produced 87-91, when Onkyo and Integra were one company. Now they are separated, but still owned by the same parent company, I believe.

Everything is hooked up, and it all sounds AMAZING. My friend that hooked it all up for me, who works in a home theater shop, said that it sounds better than some of the high-end Integra stuff they have in there now. The cool thing about high-end stereo equipment, especially a lot built in the late 80's/early 90's, was very high quality, and withstands time quite well. Most components were greatly over-engineered, so they really have lasting value and quality.

Comment

I have a hitachi from the 19xx (hippie times) Still blasts like crazy!

Comment

Working...
                          X