Networking question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Networking question

Let me start off with I do not have that much experience with setting up wireless networks but I have a fair amount of technical ability. Now at my house we have a pool approximately 300 feet behind the house which is just out of the range of our wireless router, we cannot move the router since there are already a few things hardwired to it, and the location reaches everywhere in the house.

Now, my question is can we hookup another router out by the pool in order to have wireless access out there?
    Or if there is a better way, besides moving the router we already have let me know.
    sigpic

Easiest way? Get some big antennas for your current router that will go 300 ft. What kind of wireless router are you using?
    sigpic

Comment

You could set up a router as a wireless bridge, or upgrade to wireless-N if you aren't using that already. If you're using a bridge, you the bridge needs to be in range of the wireless of the main router, so it can boost the signal.
      Advanded Delphin Division
      My e30s: 1987 325i/1994 318iT

Comment

We are already using a wireless-N router in the house. The signal just won't reach through the concrete walls and all the way to the pool. Now it is very easy for us to get a cable out to the pool, since we are already running speaker wires and electricity out to it. if that helps with any options.
        sigpic

Comment

Just buy another access point and run cable out to the pool then.
          sigpic

Comment

Yeah just set up another router. You can run a router output to a router input and it should work just fine. Run some CAT 5 or 6 out to the other router.

Comment

The other option I have read about is a network switch can anyone tell me more about that option would it be best or?
              sigpic

Comment

I have very good experience with this...

And it does not need a cable run from your existing network to pick up and extend signal...its all done wi-fi, just plug in power, run through the wizard and you're good to go.
                - Frank
                '87 325ic M-Tech 1 For Sale!
                http://r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=407503
                Build Thread http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=229347

Comment

You don't need a switch for your home network. Switches are mostly for connecting networks and servers. A router is a smart switch and you'll want the wireless anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by achtunge30 View Post
                    I have very good experience with this...

And it does not need a cable run from your existing network to pick up and extend signal...its all done wi-fi, just plug in power, run through the wizard and you're good to go.
                    You want him to spend 180 dollars when you can do the same thing with a cheap router? I don't understand.

Comment

You do not want another router, if you want to have wired connected out there then put in a switch, if you want a wireless connection then put in an access point. Either way you need to run a network cable out there.

If you don't want to run another network cable to the pool, you need a wireless bridge which is going to cost more money than just running cable.
                      sigpic

Comment

This is my dayjob. I'd be happy to answer intelligent questions via PM (gotta run now, busy).

Ich gehöre nicht zur Baader-Meinhof Gruppe

Originally posted by Top Gear
                        Just imagine waking up and remembering you're Mexican.

Every time you buy a car with DSC/ESC, Jesus kills a baby seal. With a kitten.

Comment

Alright I like pureaudio's option best. As I said there is no issue with running a network cable out there we were planning on it we want a wired connection going to the house then wireless at the pool. What would be your recommended access point manufacturer/model.
                          Last edited by Car Addict; 07-23-2011, 04:01 PM.
                          sigpic

Comment

Access point is just going to give you Wi-fi, the router you have in place will still do all the work.

Explore a rich large library of games with the PlayStation 5 console. It offers multiplayer support, and provides online access to games and other media.

Now you have to decide what speed you want, you said you already have wireless N in your house so I'd probably get an access point that does N also but if you want to save some money then go with G. What are you going to be doing primarily with the connection?
                            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by delfin View Post
                              You want him to spend 180 dollars when you can do the same thing with a cheap router? I don't understand.
                              Yeah sure...he can load dd_wrt on some cheap routers and bridge them, but then he'll be power-cycling routers every few days and he has to have the ability to understand how to load hacked firmware.

My option costs $180 but it works, is stable, and easy to configure.
                              - Frank
                              '87 325ic M-Tech 1 For Sale!
                              http://r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=407503
                              Build Thread http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=229347

Comment

Working...
                              X