Need help from IT guys

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need help from IT guys

I have 2 computers at home and am having issues with internet connectivity. We have 1 laptop and 1 desktop. Both are using wireless to connect through our Linksys router.

The issue is that when I'm on my computer (desktop) and my wife powers on her laptop or wakes it from sleep we lose internet for a couple mins. After a short period we will both have access to it.

The same issue occurs if her and my computer switch roles. Either way, we are annoyed with having to wait or having to reset the modem to get on the internet. Most of the time she just waits for me to finish what I'm doing until she even opens hers.

Any ideas on how I can fix this?
    Estoril E36 M3/4/5 | Toledo E53 X5 3.0 | LeMans E90 335D M-Sport

Buy a non-cisco router.

Or, if you don't want to. Set up the router with static IP addresses for your respective computers MAC cards, instead of it choosing one for you.
    A quick rundown of my network looks like
    MAC xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx = 192.168.1.110
    MAC xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx = 192.168.1.111
    MAC xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx = 192.168.1.112
    MAC xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx = 192.168.1.113
    MAC xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx = 192.168.1.114
    MAC xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx = 192.168.1.225

My 225 is my media server and game computer. Which is in the DMZ.

Wow.... Mac address fail

Leave Me Transaction Feedback

Comment

plug the desktop in with Ethernet and see what happens.

if it still does it, return the router, if it's still under warranty.

and only buy expensive cisco/rinksys gear, cheap stuff is nasssty.

Comment

More than likely an IP address conflict. You can manually assign them through your router's settings.
        Advanded Delphin Division
        My e30s: 1987 325i/1994 318iT

Comment

That should be the router's problem.

1. Try to look for an updated firmware for your router's version.
          2. If it still occurs then do post above (manually assign router's settings)
          3. If not then reset the router and redo your whole setup (with password and assigned IP address)
          Good judgment comes from experience, and experience comes from bad judgment.

Comment

Originally posted by r4y_m4n View Post
            That should be the router's problem.

1. Try to look for an updated firmware for your router's version.
            2. If it still occurs then do post above (manually assign router's settings)
            3. If not then reset the router and redo your whole setup (with password and assigned IP address)
            yeah, I agree.
            gabriella psychic

Comment

1) Reset yout router to factory settings (there is a little button you can press with a paper clip inside a little hole behind the router).

2) Once the router is reset to factory settings, (you will know because the wireless network you used before dissapeared).

3) Connect to the wireless network (leave it open, without a password).

4) Now connect the other computer to the wireless network.

NOW, if both your computers are connected and you did not have to reset the router, this means there was a security issue with the wireless network.

If this is the case, i recommend that you set up the password in the router as WEP, or WPA Personal not WAP2 or the others.

To configure your pass open a browser and go to 192.168.0.1 (or check the manual of the router for the correct ip.

If when you connected the second computer the same thing happens, then go to the store where you bought the router and have them replace it.

regards.

Comment

Thanks I'll try that
                Estoril E36 M3/4/5 | Toledo E53 X5 3.0 | LeMans E90 335D M-Sport

Comment

Working...
                X