Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

1st time shooting a pistol last night....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1st time shooting a pistol last night....

One of the guys I work with is a pretty accomplished marksman and invited me(and my wife who has always wanted to shoot as well) to his Shooting Club to try it out. Seeing as how it's something I have always wanted to try, we met up last night at his Club and did some work.
    I must first explain that this is one of the only Clubs in Germany that allows newbs to immediately begin shooting anything other than Air pistols. Usually, one must shoot an air-powered pistol for about a year, then if they like you, they allow you to move to a conventional .22 for another year. Then after that maybe they will let you join and shoot larger calibers.

I had already been reading up a bit on shooting and had an idea of what I wanted to try out. I rented a (shooting-range bitch)Glock 17 gen 3(9mm). He brought out a 9mm HK pistol also, but I didn't like the way it fit in my hand, I had to try to hard to hold it properly. We grabbed (2) boxes of 50 and we headed out. After a short safety briefing, we got started. It didn't have the huge kick I thought it would, but then again I didn't know what to expect. All sheets are from 10m back. We did (4) sets of 5 shots, here's the first sheet:

The (5) large shots are .44 Magnum. The guys next to us saw that it was my first time and that I was American and said, "Hey, you wanna shoot my .44?" I said yes and he loaded the cylinder. The one in the middle was my first shot, 'Damn, nice kick" was my first thought. His jaw dropped as I shot the other (4) more accurately than he had earlier.

2nd sheet:

20 with the Glock, and (5) with my buddy's Colt .45 APC. It's modded heavily for target shooting with a very nice trigger, light and nearly no travel vs the Glock which was easily 1/2".

3rd Sheet:

Finally really getting the hand of it. The 3 middle shots were spread between the 4 magazines.

^^^Those account for 60 shots, my Wife did the other 40.

Her first sheet:

There are also a few with the Colt .45 mixed in there also.

And the 2nd:

Then for the finally, he grabbed the S&W 500 5-shot revolver with 2.5" Barrel and bought one shot for it. I stood on the side of him about 1m away, the shock was pretty good. He likes to shoot that thing one-handed for fun.

So all-in-all I enjoyed it very much and plan to go again in 2 weeks when I don't have to work late-shift.
    Last edited by MikeDE; 11-19-2011, 12:19 PM.
    -03/2005 E46 330D Touring 6spd(204hp/410nM) Sapphire Black/Naturbraun Sport...300k KM & 35mpg(mixed)

Very cool, well done!

Shooting is a weird feeling when you first try it... but you'll get used to it, and eventually it becomes a "Zen" experience.

And then you'll get bitten by the Bug.... very similar to the E30 Bug....

Comment

Sounds like fun! Are you left handed?

Comment

Originally posted by mach schnell View Post
        And then you'll get bitten by the Bug.... very similar to the E30 Bug....
        Yes, I had that feeling already...

Originally posted by CabbE30 View Post
        Sounds like fun! Are you left handed?
        No, i'm a Righty. At first I tried to compensate for the low/left shots. Then by the third sheet, I was a bit more comfortable with my grip & breathing and the sights(non-adjustable) and was able to put them closer to where I wanted them.
        -03/2005 E46 330D Touring 6spd(204hp/410nM) Sapphire Black/Naturbraun Sport...300k KM & 35mpg(mixed)

Comment

Better than me... my Dad and I shoot often

Comment

Ah man, it has pictures... was gonna ask how much money you get off the person =(
            I can run Auto Checks on VINs for tips/donations:
            PM me VIN(s) and I'll get you ALL the public recorded info that I have available.
            paypal as gift to Mike@benzinkrieg.com

Information/Request sticky thread for Vehicle History Reports
            http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=216119

Comment

Looks like you're pulling the trigger with the joint of your finger rather than with the pad of your fingertip. That's why the shots are pulling down and to the left. The pistol is twisting in your hand as your finger curls around.

See if you can get your hands on a K- or L-Frame Smith & Wesson, a CZ-75, an M1911, or an H&K P7M8. That way, you can experience what a good trigger should feel like. Glocks and polymer H&Ks suck for trigger feel.
              sigpic
              1987 Mercedes 190E 2.3-16: Vintage Racer
              2010 BMW (E90) 335xi sedan: Grocery Getter

Comment

welcome to the disease!

This might help ya out on getting more in the middle. Its a bit harder than people think. Just takes time!

Build your own dreams, or someone else will hire you to build theirs!

Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

Comment

Originally posted by Emre View Post
                  Looks like you're pulling the trigger with the joint of your finger rather than with the pad of your fingertip. That's why the shots are pulling down and to the left. The pistol is twisting in your hand as your finger curls around.

See if you can get your hands on a K- or L-Frame Smith & Wesson, a CZ-75, an M1911, or an H&K P7M8. That way, you can experience what a good trigger should feel like. Glocks and polymer H&Ks suck for trigger feel.

You are dead-on Emre....I started pulling with the part between the joint and pad by the 2nd/3rd sheet. When I first tried using the pad, the trigger travel had my finger curled so far by the time the shot fired, that it became uncomfortable and compromised my grip.

I however had no-problem placing my shots with the Colt, with a very light trigger and little travel, it was much more comfortable.

Next time i'll see if they have what you recommended, thanks.

BTW the .44's owner shot a vid of me shooting it, I am still waiting for him to email to me.
                  Last edited by MikeDE; 11-19-2011, 01:36 PM.

Comment

If you think shooting a handgun is fun, go shoot some sporting clays with a shotgun. Now THAT is fun!

Comment

nice work for a first timer. low and left is jerking the trigger or anticipation of the shot. slow down, control your breathing, and try staging the trigger on the DA guns. also as stated above, were you place your finger on the trigger will also control the POI vs POA.

Originally posted by nwvb bmw
                      That guy is going to lock you in his basement and make you ware a little pirate costume.

Comment

Working...
                      X