Computer Wizards - I need you help!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Computer Wizards - I need you help!

Okay, so the story is I need to build a basic computer for my dad. He will only need to browse the Internet, do some basic image processing and microsoft office stuff.

I need the computer to be as cheap (<$350aus) as possible so I am using an old case and his old hard drives(only because of the thailand floods, I know that this can hinder performance greatly and i will buy an ssd/hd once prices start falling again). Additionally, a bit of future proofing is nice so i will need a mother board with usb3 and hdmi.

This is what i've come up with so far, basically, i just need to know whether this will all work and run well.

AMD Athlon II X2 260

Gigabyte GA-880GM-USB3 Motherboard

Corsair CMV4GX3M2A1333C9 4GB (2x2GB) DDR3

Gigabyte 360W Superb Power Supply

ICY BOX 3.5in Multiport Panel with Card Reader(I know there are no internal USB3 connectors but that's ok)

I am open to suggestions, so please, dont hold back. I will be ordering from PC Case Gear so if you could recommend stuff from there, that would be great.

Thanks!

Seems good only suggestion would be a depending on his work load maybe an Mini ITX board like these

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Massimo View Post
      Seems good only suggestion would be a depending on his work load maybe an Mini ITX board like these

http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?...cPath=138_1019
      Thanks for the advice! but what would be the difference between a Mini ITX board vs a normal motherboard? They seem to have the same specs except for the type of processors they support

Comment

It's the physical size of the motherboard; mini compared to micro.

Comment

Originally posted by NitroRustlerDriver View Post
          It's the physical size of the motherboard; mini compared to micro.
          Oh ok, id rather the larger one then because of the added upgradability with the extra pci slots. Also, would a 360W power supply be enough? I have no idea on how to choose the right one.

Comment

One source I always turn to when I need to build a system is pcper (we'll not for myself, I have to spec systems to my software vendors for video editing). Anyways...It's one of the most knowledgeable online forums for hardware. These guys know their stuff.

Personally, if he could use a laptop (and a tower isn't really that great for a casual user IMHO) I'd get a thinkpad t60. They can be had second hand for cheap, and it an great machine.

Otherwise, here's a link for fool-proof systems that will be amazing.

Last edited by george graves; 11-21-2011, 01:37 AM.
            Originally posted by Matt-B
            hey does anyone know anyone who gets upset and makes electronics?

Comment

Yeah all that stuff will work.

Should be fine for what you wanna do.
              Although plan on replacing it in 2 years.
              1986 Plymouth Horizon. Base.

Comment

looks pretty good, the hardware config.
                gabriella psychic

Comment

never been a fan of amd processors. but seems as though it will be suffice for what it will be doing. i'm currently starting my 5th computer build. placed my first order yesterday on ram, 16gb ddr3.

'89 BMW 325is | '02 Mitsubishi Montero Limited | '2005 GMC Sierra 2500 Duramax | 2007 BMW M5
                  my feedback thread

Comment

Working...
                  X