The Alfa Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nope. I just liked that raw shape.

This is how he sits right now…starting on new suspension, brake system, fuel system. He's what, 40+ years old with original systems…it's time to rebuild some things. Rebuilt calipers, new rotors, all hoses, master cylinder. Newer LSD rear axle assembly. Bushings and control arms. New fuel lines, rebuild the Webers, maybe drop the tank and clean it. Looks like the rear main seal is dumping on the floor - maybe I should do the clutch if I have to take that apart. The top has faded from black to some sort of grey. The list gets longer, and I spend way more time on my son's E30!

It was painted a couple of years ago after someone tapped the trunk lid with a pickup. I had the rust taken out while we were doing it - new rear arches, rocker panels, rear lower quarters. They are not a restoration shop, but did a good job. They repaired the folded trunk lid as none are available anywhere - I was impressed. Someone in their shop bumped into the nose so they had to fix that, and we ended up painting the whole car for not much money.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Duettogarage.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	83.5 KB
ID:	7167745

Name:	Garage-Duetto up.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	59.9 KB
ID:	7167746

I've seen your avatar a few times. I race Lasers (not well). Do you know George at West Coast Sailing? Good guy, good shop.

Last edited by LateFan; 06-10-2014, 12:25 PM.

Comment

Holy Cow! That Duetto is gorgeous! They're out of my price range, but I think I'd like to get a mid-80s kamm tail again in the next few years. I used to have an '86 grad that was SOOO much fun. Only car I ever drove that you could FEEL individual wheels though the chassis locking at threshold braking. And with the Bosch injection she was rock solid. Had to push start it 30-40% of the time, but rock solid.

I don't know George. Lasers are fun. That boat in my avatar is my Lightning, hull #12871 built in 1976. I'm only in PDX for 2ish years and the boat stayed in CO, but is actively raced with the Denver Sailing Association and I'll be back on her in mid-July at the Aspen Open Regatta. Where do you race Lasers? I've been getting jonesing to get wet on a dingy.
      sigpic

2014 GTI | 2002 Land Cruiser | 1991 Volvo 745t

Comment

I saw one of the new Alfa 4C cars in Marin CA today. It was soooooo nice!
        sigpic
        "The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten."

Comment

goddamnit! i need to stop looking at this fucking thread! i want a gtv6 so bad!

kinda seems like a better sounding/poor mans version of an m3.
          sigpic
          Gigitty Gigitty!!!!

88 cabrio becoming alpina b6 3.5s transplanted s62
          92 Mtech 2 cabrio alpinweiss 770 code
          88 325ix coupe manual lachsilber/cardinal
          88 325ix coupe manual diamondschwartz/natur
          87 e30 m3 for parts lachsilber/cardinal(serial number 7)
          12 135i M sport cabrio grey/black

Comment

Originally posted by ajhostetter View Post
            Holy Cow! That Duetto is gorgeous! They're out of my price range, but I think I'd like to get a mid-80s kamm tail again in the next few years. I used to have an '86 grad that was SOOO much fun. Only car I ever drove that you could FEEL individual wheels though the chassis locking at threshold braking. And with the Bosch injection she was rock solid. Had to push start it 30-40% of the time, but rock solid.

I don't know George. Lasers are fun. That boat in my avatar is my Lightning, hull #12871 built in 1976. I'm only in PDX for 2ish years and the boat stayed in CO, but is actively raced with the Denver Sailing Association and I'll be back on her in mid-July at the Aspen Open Regatta. Where do you race Lasers? I've been getting jonesing to get wet on a dingy.

Out of my price range too! I paid $5000 in 1986 or so. Got a nice used sports car, a spare engine (original engine in mine), a rolling shell Giulia Super sedan (gave it away - apartment, no place to work on it), and boxes of parts. Still have everything but the Super (which would be worth $20-30k now…derp).

Not too many in this Graphite Grey color, but I've seen a few out there.

Interesting about the boats. When I was a kid in Colo, there were a lot of wooden Lightnings racing on the lakes in Denver and the mountains. Maybe yours is one of them! That's where I learned, in single-handed dinghies. I race on Flathead Lake in Montana, and have dragged it as far as Vancouver BC. I was lucky enough to sail in Yellowstone Park and Glacier Park - cold water!

Comment

Originally posted by LateFan View Post
              Out of my price range too! I paid $5000 in 1986 or so. Got a nice used sports car, a spare engine (original engine in mine), a rolling shell Giulia Super sedan (gave it away - apartment, no place to work on it), and boxes of parts. Still have everything but the Super (which would be worth $20-30k now…derp).

Not too many in this Graphite Grey color, but I've seen a few out there.

Interesting about the boats. When I was a kid in Colo, there were a lot of wooden Lightnings racing on the lakes in Denver and the mountains. Maybe yours is one of them! That's where I learned, in single-handed dinghies. I race on Flathead Lake in Montana, and have dragged it as far as Vancouver BC. I was lucky enough to sail in Yellowstone Park and Glacier Park - cold water!
              What a deal! Hang on to that little fella. I just missed a sweet '87 Spider that was for sale in Astoria for less than $3K. My wife would have killed me, but it would have been worth it. Some day...

My Lightning is a fiberglass Nickels & Holman, so it's not one you grew up with, but she's been raced in CO since new. When my buddy and I picked her up she'd been sitting in a field for about 7 years and was in so-so shape. We've replaced all the standing/running rigging, epoxied soft spots on the deck, and have done a fair amount of modernization to it. We now have a 40 year old boat that we can run toe to toe with guys who finish in the top 30 at worlds, so that's pretty fun. There's still a pretty active fleet of ~10 boats in the area.

If you can ever haul the Laser back to CO, this regatta is freaking awesome: www.aspenyachtclub.com

Aaaaand I've derailed the Alfa thread. Sorry.
              sigpic

2014 GTI | 2002 Land Cruiser | 1991 Volvo 745t

Comment

Not a problem!

Name:	ALFA CONETTA FIGLI.jpg
Size:	42.6 KB
ID:	7167753

Name:	Portello Works.jpg
Size:	58.0 KB
ID:	7167754

Name:	alfa-engine-sign.jpg
Size:	73.3 KB
ID:	7167755

Name:	alfa01_150583.jpg
Size:	42.4 KB
ID:	7167756

Name:	z_2127.jpg
Size:	41.5 KB
ID:	7167757

Comment

Your Duetto is beautiful. I´ve never seen one in gray.

I´ve got a ´81 Kamm Tail sitting in the garage that hasn´t moved in 3 years with rust in all the usual spots. I keep thinking, one day i´ll finish it.

These cars drive like they are on rails.

Nope. I just liked that raw shape.

This is how he sits right now…starting on new suspension, brake system, fuel system. He's what, 40+ years old with original systems…it's time to rebuild some things. Rebuilt calipers, new rotors, all hoses, master cylinder. Newer LSD rear axle assembly. Bushings and control arms. New fuel lines, rebuild the Webers, maybe drop the tank and clean it. Looks like the rear main seal is dumping on the floor - maybe I should do the clutch if I have to take that apart. The top has faded from black to some sort of grey. The list gets longer, and I spend way more time on my son's E30!

It was painted a couple of years ago after someone tapped the trunk lid with a pickup. I had the rust taken out while we were doing it - new rear arches, rocker panels, rear lower quarters. They are not a restoration shop, but did a good job. They repaired the folded trunk lid as none are available anywhere - I was impressed. Someone in their shop bumped into the nose so they had to fix that, and we ended up painting the whole car for not much money.

[ATTACH]85504[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]85505[/ATTACH]

I've seen your avatar a few times. I race Lasers (not well). Do you know George at West Coast Sailing? Good guy, good shop.

My new E34 525i Sport Limousine Blog
                  http://bmw525isportlimousine.blogspot.com.es/

Comment

Mine's been sitting for 4 or 5 years now. Sad, right? Body shop had it sitting outside so long I didn't trust the systems anymore. The top was still black when they got it.

But thanks! It's Graphite Grey 716 with burgundy interior.

Get working on yours! If you can find some decent euro bumpers, it'll look just like a '71!

rules:
                    (how to lower the spring pan)

Name:	shocks11.jpg
Size:	50.9 KB
ID:	7167763
                    Last edited by LateFan; 06-11-2014, 11:48 AM.

Comment

Mine's been sitting for 4 or 5 years now. Sad, right? Body shop had it sitting outside so long I didn't trust the systems anymore. The top was still black when they got it.

But thanks! It's Graphite Grey 716 with burgundy interior.

Get working on yours! If you can find some decent euro bumpers, it'll look just like a '71!

rules:
                      [ATTACH]85528[/ATTACH]
                      I´ve got a nice set of chrome bumpers for the front sitting in the garage as well. I just need the rear.

I can do the rest of the work on the car, but rust scares me. I also cannot find an honest body man to do the work.
                      It´s the only thing holding me back from getting started.

Silver Spider with Cromodora´s....mmmmmmmmm sacrilicious

Comment

Nice! Backs are easier to find I think. There's a company in Germany that sells them new I think, and Alfaholics, with all the brackets.

I'm with you - I'd try to rebuild a rear diff before I'd attempt bodywork. There are a million threads at AlfaBB.com by people learning how to weld and doing a great job. Take a look.

rules and silver Spiders..hmm…

Name:	71Nose.jpg
Size:	98.0 KB
ID:	7167764

This is a stock '81 euro Spider - they never got the big bumpers..

Name:	81euroblue.JPG
Size:	113.7 KB
ID:	7167765

A US '79 with retrofit SS bumpers..

Name:	79oldBumper.jpg
Size:	70.7 KB
ID:	7167766

The Alfaholics retro bumper kit.. (not cheap)

Name:	alfaholicsbumper.jpg
Size:	64.0 KB
ID:	7167767

Comment

The last time i contacted Alfaholics they told me they were out of stock for the time being. I seem to remember the rear was pricey, at about $700 but it´s worth doing the conversion. The rubber boat anchors Alfa tacked on, are horrible on so many levels.

To be honest i would rather have a solid rust free body first. The bumper can wait.

Shame we have such fine Italian machinery collecting dust.

Here´s what it looked like before i put it away

Comment

We had a sh!tty '78 silver Spider for about 3 months once. A friend bought it sight unseen for parts off ebay. Abandoned in CA, no title. Got it here, it was worse than his. He gave it to me so my older son could get it running and drive it in HS even if it was ratty - would have been cool.

He lost interest, and to be honest it was not worth saving. I put it on Craigslist for free to a good home and was swamped with offers. Another friend took it for HIS son to restore for HS.

He never got far. They gave it to another kid whose uncle had been an Alfa mechanic back in the day but was now disabled. I hope they got it running. Never heard the end of the story.

Name:	78right.JPG
Size:	60.3 KB
ID:	7167768

Name:	78front.JPG
Size:	61.5 KB
ID:	7167770

Name:	78rear.JPG
Size:	61.2 KB
ID:	7167771

Comment

Originally posted by spanish pants View Post

Here´s what it looked like before i put it away
                              That looks really good! Where is the rust?

Could be this! (same color?)

Name:	redEuro.jpg
Size:	53.3 KB
ID:	7167772

Comment

That looks really good! Where is the rust?

Could be this! (same color?)
                                [ATTACH]85537[/ATTACH]
                                Ha! You´ve been sent by Beelzebub to tempt me. God knows it wouldn´t take much. That´s just the look i lust after. It´s like a little Ferrari.

Looks good on the surface, but it´s got the typical Alfa rust; rear wheel arch, inspection hatch behind the front wheel, and bubbling along the sill on one side. I don´t like to think how bad it really is.

That Spider looks rough. What was wrong with it, besides the sad exterior?

Comment

Working...
                                X