The Alfa Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BlackbirdM3 View Post
    I'd run like the wind from that car. The Rust Monster is strong with that one.

This is a little high, but its the best of the GTVs. Also the rarest as there were only 640 of them built. This is much like the GTV I had. Some day I will have another US spec '69 1750 GTV (105.51)

Will
    Yeah thought it was pretty nasty looking. Could sense the rust.

Saw that one too, I like it, but hard to tell if its also rusty without seeing the bottom of rockers.
    1989 BMW 325is | 2019 Ford Ranger FX4
    willschnitz

Comment

Originally posted by Wschnitz View Post
      Yeah thought it was pretty nasty looking. Could sense the rust.

Saw that one too, I like it, but hard to tell if its also rusty without seeing the bottom of rockers.
      The '69 barn find is likely a pretty solid car. The steel on the early GTVs and Spiders was better than the 71 and later cars. That said, they are not immune to rust if uncared for...

Considering the condition of the outside, the inside doesn't look that bad.

The car is currently on ebay for $1100.

Will
      '59 Alfa Romeo 101.02 Giulietta Sprint
      '69 Alfa Romeo 105.51 1750 GTV (R.I.P)
      '69 Datsun 2000 roadster Vintage race car
      '88 BMW M3

Comment

Poor thing, probably only worth the parts left on it.

Thought that looked kinda nice, even though its not exactly rare or anything. Rockers look a little wavy, probably old restoration?
        Last edited by Wschnitz; 10-21-2015, 11:58 AM.
        willschnitz

Comment

Poor thing, probably only worth the parts left on it.

Thought that looked kinda nice, even though its not exactly rare or anything. Rockers look a little wavy, probably old restoration?
          love that back seat
          “There is nothing government can give you that it hasn’t taken from you in the first place”
          Sir Winston Churchill

Comment

Alfa Romeo GTV 1750 by Alex Haala, on Flickr
            Alfa Romeo Giulia TZ by Kévin Goudin, on Flickr
            Alfa Romeo 1750 GTV - HistoRacing Festival 2014 - by Nicolas Serre, on Flickr
            Alfa Romeo T33/2 - 1968 by Ugo Missana, on Flickr
            Alfa Romeo Spider followed by a GT Junior 105-Series and a MiTo in Hong Kong by Ben Molloy, on Flickr
            willschnitz

Comment

I've been thinking about paint jobs for the sprint, I like the dark grey on this.

This one I've seen in person a few times. Not sure if I like the fender flares or not.

Blue wouldn't be bad either

Two tone?

Straight basic silver?

Single stripe?

Off topic, but I found someone else's pic of my GTV! God that was a good looking car. Original paint and interior. This was taken back in 2007.

I'm really liking the dark silver. I think that could be a great color.

Will
              '88 BMW M3

Comment

I vote silver too. or dark gray. But im biased towards gray colors.
                willschnitz

Comment

I like the dark grey. Mine is that color, 716 Graphite.

No flares. I vote Factory, with wider OEM (GTA?) wheels.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ALFA 001.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	61.8 KB
ID:	7180633

Click image for larger version

Name:	timthumb.php.jpeg
Views:	1
Size:	20.8 KB
ID:	7180634

Nice pics Mr Schnitz!

Comment

Originally posted by LateFan View Post
                    I like the dark grey. Mine is that color, 716 Graphite.

No flares. I vote Factory, with wider OEM (GTA?) wheels.

[ATTACH]101718[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]101719[/ATTACH]

Nice pics Mr Schnitz!
                    GTA wheels don't work on a Sprint. For that matter, very few wheels fit on a Sprint. Panasports, possibly a set of American Racing LeMans (rare as hens teeth, but they are out there and I would love a set), and the TZ1 replicas. Of the 3, the TZ1 replicas are my least favorite, the LeMans being my first choice, but SUPER rare (I had a line on a set last year but the guy never got back to me about the cost of shipping them.) The Panasports are good looking, and not overdone on Sprints, and are the easiest to get here in the states. At this point my car has 4 wheels, 1 doesn't match, they are all steel, and likely all rusty on the insides. I don't know that I want to even attempt to drive on them. The tires are also ancient, require tubes, and scary to look at let alone even thinking about being safe to drive.

I'm thinking the medium/dark metallic grey is the way to go. I don't want to duplicate the color I have on the Datsun (2003 Audi Dolphin grey) but something close to that, perhaps a couple shades lighter would look sweet. Perhaps run a bright silver stripe, or even a black stripe. (Haha, or commit the ultimate sacrilege, BRE stripes like what I have on the Datsun...)

Will
                    '88 BMW M3

Comment

I will take mine in dark blue, no stripes. I think these cars are so pretty that they do not need anything in the paint to take your eyes away from the design.
                      Past - 1991 318i, 1972 '02

Comment

Should def do BMW delphin grau ;P

Could you get some stock steelies and widen them a bit? Ones that dont look bad?
                        willschnitz

Comment

Should def do BMW delphin grau ;P

Could you get some stock steelies and widen them a bit? Ones that dont look bad?
                          That could be a good color. I like the dark blue idea as well. I was sort of thinking that Macau Blue might look fantastic. There is enough brightwork on the car to add a nice contrast to the dark color. One of the reasons I'm leaning toward a grey/silver metallic color is due to the damage to the nose. I don't know if it will be straight enough to pull off a dark color. It will have to be very straight for the grills to fit right, but its hard to say. The metallic color will hide imperfections.

Frankly, steel wheels scare me. They flex and are prone to cracking, not to mention heavy. One of these stock Fergat 15x5.5 wheels with 155 series tires weighs far more than my 16x8 inch BBS RKs with 225s on them.

Will
                          '88 BMW M3

Comment

Originally posted by BlackbirdM3 View Post

Frankly, steel wheels scare me. They flex and are prone to cracking, not to mention heavy. One of these stock Fergat 15x5.5 wheels with 155 series tires weighs far more than my 16x8 inch BBS RKs with 225s on them.

Will
                            How complicated is it to do a brake conversion on these cars so you can go with a lot more options?

I am thinking of doing that to my '67 step-nose, just to get out of the hard to find 15x4.5 steel rims - I have tons of extra rims from previous cars that just will not fit on this car. I am not certain however if it is worth the hassle over just restoring my old steel rims.
                            Past - 1991 318i, 1972 '02

Comment

A few things:

1) I really like the way the cars look in dark blue. Red is overdone, silver is common but looks nice. Stripe(s) are okay but I never liked the offset look which is common for these cars (when they have stripes).

2) You should look into VTO wheels. They're similar in design to the Panasports/Minilites, but inexpensive and readily available. We use them on a number of cars in the shop and like them quite a bit. Here's a couple examples:

3) I agree about steel wheels, especially from the era these come from. The same is true of the steel wheels on the Elva Couriers; they used to be pretty common because there were fewer aluminum choices and aftermarket aluminum wheels weren't necessarily always legal. The steel ones would break much more often than I find comfortable. Old steel+heavy usage+unknown metallurgy=no way.
                              Interested in vintage cars? Ever thought about racing one? Info, photos, videos, and more can be found at www.michaelsvintageracing.com!

Elva Courier build thread here!

Comment

The phreshkid here on r3v had some very nice 2002 steelies widened and restored in So CA just recently. Check out his thread.

I agree with you guys on stressed out steelies - I've read stories of disks breaking away from rims with track use, or bolt circles cracking. But a non-rusted restored steelie on the street wouldn't bother me. I don't drive the car like that anymore.

rloewy - do you have extra 4.5x15s in decent shape? I could use 3 or 4 to widen. I'm keeping my original 5 stock (with the original ancient Pirelli spare).

I'm swapping out the Dunlop rear axle for a newer 2-liter Ate axle with limited slip, as well as rebuilt front calipers and hubs. Better bigger brakes, bigger bearings, easier to adjust, WAY cheaper pads. But the bolt pattern stays the same. I don't think the Dunlops will be worth a fortune someday.

Comment

Working...
                                X