No announcement yet.

The Alfa Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

More progress on my car. The nose is looking closer to correct. Still a long way to go, but making headway.

Will
    '59 Alfa Romeo 101.02 Giulietta Sprint
    '69 Alfa Romeo 105.51 1750 GTV (R.I.P)
    '69 Datsun 2000 roadster Vintage race car
    '88 BMW M3

Comment

Anyone need a mystery Sprint? Vin says its a '57 750B, looks like a '59 transition car (like mine.) http://bringatrailer.com/listing/195...-sprint-coupe/

Will
      '88 BMW M3

Comment

^ Why did they cut out that angled strip? And is that new metal going back on? It looks like it has the same texture / patina as the old metal.

Comment

Originally posted by LateFan View Post
          ^ Why did they cut out that angled strip? And is that new metal going back on? It looks like it has the same texture / patina as the old metal.
          The area was cut out to gain access to the bent sheet metal below it. Also to allow the rebuilding of the air box on that side. The underlying structure was pretty badly crumpled. There is no other way to gain access there.

The area cut out might be salvageable, its seriously stretched so either he is going to reproduce the area with new metal, or he was able to reform it correctly. He isn't done with that area yet so time will tell what he does.

From the body guy: "Hi Will, for the moment, I'm using the piece as a template to gauge the straightening process of the surrounding areas, and then probably as a pattern for a new repair panel. I started to planish the damage out of it, but its pretty rough. In any case, it is on the brink of being corrected, with the proper contour. I've started on the lower valance. It had some serious creases and tears. I was able to save the driver's side bumper bracket opening, though the passenger's is pretty horribly deformed and will need a suitable patch panel fabricated. I will keep you posted"

Will
          Last edited by BlackbirdM3; 08-02-2016, 09:22 PM.
          '88 BMW M3

Comment

Sounds like the Doc coming out of surgery to tell you how it's going.

Comment

Well, the car is in surgery so I guess its fitting. I also just heard my Nardi wheel is done. I can't wait to see it.
              Wow, expensive week, $1500 for rent, $1000 to the body guy, $500 to the steering wheel guy, and I don't get paid till Friday. I wasn't expecting the steering wheel to be done till October, and the body guy asks for $ randomly. My bank account just shrank sizably.

Will
              '88 BMW M3

Comment

Welcome to the wonderful world of classic car restoration.

Any who made some GTA cutouts on a friend's super.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

NEW ERA AUTO GLASS - SFV SOCAL - 818 974-3673
                DREWLIENTE

1$ PShops PM me

Comment

may be visually a bit busy.....but I like
                  I love sitting down and just driving!

Comment

Needs the center heart grill piece. Any reason for the removal of the inner lights? I think Super Tis look better with all 4 headlights.

Will
                    '88 BMW M3

Comment

That's just the style he wanted to go with. Car will be used solely for road rally and canyon purposes. Has a full cage, bucket seats, fuel cell, and dual carb 2L.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

NEW ERA AUTO GLASS - SFV SOCAL - 818 974-3673
                      DREWLIENTE

1$ PShops PM me

Comment

Seriously thinking about one of these...

sigpic

2014 GTI | 2002 Land Cruiser | 1991 Volvo 745t

Comment

Originally posted by ajhostetter View Post
                          Seriously thinking about one of these...

they do look good and the prices are really coming down on them. that is by far my favorite color.

however, be sure to take one for a good long test drive before you buy it. the car has about the most god awful exhaust note of any vehicle on the market today. as i mentioned before, they sound like a tiny little guy with a very loose butthole ripping a sloppy fart.

i wonder who makes an aftermarket exhaust for them....
                          sigpic
                          Gigitty Gigitty!!!!

88 cabrio becoming alpina b6 3.5s transplanted s62
                          92 Mtech 2 cabrio alpinweiss 770 code
                          88 325ix coupe manual lachsilber/cardinal
                          88 325ix coupe manual diamondschwartz/natur
                          87 e30 m3 for parts lachsilber/cardinal(serial number 7)
                          12 135i M sport cabrio grey/black

Comment

really?.....not a fan at all...

looks very Lotusee..the exige?....I cant recall...the evora?...

either way...its just me...
                            I love sitting down and just driving!

Comment

I second the notion on the exhaust note. Not good. I'm also not sure if they handle all that well. I have a guy who autoXs with me who is a decent driver (had a 458 Italia prior to the Alfa) and he could drive the 458 quite well, but he really seems to struggle with the Alfa. I don't know if its him, or the car. I know he can drive as I've ridden with him a few times in the Ferrari, but the Alfa seems to be a bit squirrely and unbalanced.

In other news, I just got word that my Nardi wheel for the Alfa is done. I can't wait to see it all restored. I'm guessing its not perfect, but I bet it still looks amazing.

Will
                              '88 BMW M3

Comment

Originally posted by BlackbirdM3 View Post
                                I second the notion on the exhaust note. Not good. I'm also not sure if they handle all that well. I have a guy who autoXs with me who is a decent driver (had a 458 Italia prior to the Alfa) and he could drive the 458 quite well, but he really seems to struggle with the Alfa. I don't know if its him, or the car. I know he can drive as I've ridden with him a few times in the Ferrari, but the Alfa seems to be a bit squirrely and unbalanced.

In other news, I just got word that my Nardi wheel for the Alfa is done. I can't wait to see it all restored. I'm guessing its not perfect, but I bet it still looks amazing.

Will

when they are in the 10-15k price range in about 10 yrs or so, i will consider one. in the short term, they seem like a shitty investment.
                                sigpic
                                Gigitty Gigitty!!!!

88 cabrio becoming alpina b6 3.5s transplanted s62
                                92 Mtech 2 cabrio alpinweiss 770 code
                                88 325ix coupe manual lachsilber/cardinal
                                88 325ix coupe manual diamondschwartz/natur
                                87 e30 m3 for parts lachsilber/cardinal(serial number 7)
                                12 135i M sport cabrio grey/black

Comment

Working...
                                X