No announcement yet.

The Alfa Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GTV6 track car for sale in MI. With trailer.

SCCA ITS Class. From comments it sounds like people know this car.

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF1464.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	67.5 KB
ID:	7188002

Name:	DSCF1487.jpg
Size:	87.0 KB
ID:	7188003

Name:	IMG_2162.jpg
Size:	57.6 KB
ID:	7188004

Comment

^cool car. So driving that 4C yesterday made me start thinking about these again. The prices haven't yet hit the stratosphere, and it's literally the only car I've ever driven when you can feel individual wheels lock up through the chassis when threshold braking.

sigpic

2014 GTI | 2002 Land Cruiser | 1991 Volvo 745t

Comment

I'm the first to admit I'm really biased towards Duettos, and the the clean '71 Spider, which was a Pininfarina-designed evolution or "alternate" to the Duetto.

Name:	Euro blue.jpg
Size:	27.8 KB
ID:	7188005

Really has a clean "barchetta" look here..

Name:	71-1750c.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	45.3 KB
ID:	7188006

Original Cromodora Daytona wheels

Name:	redEuro.jpg
Size:	53.3 KB
ID:	7188007

But a later body can be made to look really good as well. Needs some low, more wheel & tire, and some tweaks here and there.

All black with the factory hardtop, Panasports..

Name:	black Spider.jpg
Size:	44.1 KB
ID:	7188009

There's a flat Zender rear spoiler that gets rid of the rubber tail. Looks good in body color, especially black. I think they're still available. There're some threads about trimming and pulling in the newer bumpers so they're tighter to the body.

Name:	Wheel:S3ZenderRear.jpg
Size:	35.7 KB
ID:	7188008

And then mechanicals - the choked down, leaned out newer systems can be modded to produce some nice performance. The Motronic engines (can't tell you what years those are) have pretty high compression and good piston shape, and can go pretty well. Just needs better breathing - it's a 50s engine design if you think about it. Like having a 283 or 327 Chevy SB.

This guy, Murray, took an S4(?) spider and kept the nice interior and AC, but built it into an emissions-legal hotrod track car with a removable roll bar. He did extensive work to the engine and got some real power out of it.

But like that one you're looking at, they can be had pretty cheap, in good condition, then you can have some fun with it. That interior looks nice! And driving at night with the top down is so nice.
        Last edited by LateFan; 08-11-2016, 02:27 PM. Reason: Kaint spel gude

Comment

[ATTACH]110033[/ATTACH]

Throttle bodies, custom ignition, big valve race head, 10.5:1 compression, custom variable valve timing, etc etc.

I think they got it to 200hp at the crank, from a 2 liter with 10.5:1, and it idled smoothly at 1000 rpm.
          Last edited by LateFan; 08-11-2016, 12:42 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by LateFan View Post
            But a later body can be made to look really good as well. Needs some low, more wheel & tire, and some tweaks here and there.

There's a flat Zender rear spoiler that gets rid of the rubber tail. Looks good in body color, especially black. I think they're still available. There're some threads about trimming and pulling in the newer bumpers so they're tighter to the body.

And then mechanicals - the choked down, leaned out newer systems can be modded to produce some nice performance. The Motronic engines (can't tell you what years those are) have pretty high compression and good piston shape, and can go pretty well. Just needs better breathing - it's a 50s engine design if you think about it. Like having a 283 or 327 Chevy SB.

Motronic was '82-'89. Super reliable, and yes, easy to squeeze a lot more out of them. And with the full wet-sleeve piston design...those motors are basically infinitely rebuild-able. I like Duetos as well, but the $$ they fetch is crazy. I'd be scared to really wail on one.
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by LateFan View Post

Throttle bodies, custom ignition, big valve race head, 10.5:1 compression, custom variable valve timing, etc etc.

I think they got it to 200hp at the crank, from a 2 liter with 10.5:1, and it idled smoothly at 1000 rpm.
              That build is crazy. I don't even want to know how much it cost him
              sigpic

Comment

Right?

I'd like to put that whole drivetrain in an earlier body....but then I want to figure out how to put a Montreal V8 in an S2 spider. It's a 105 chassis, it ought to fit, but how to get those air horns under the hood without screwing it up?!

Comment

Sorry you coupe guys.

Name:	sb16eb1.jpg
Size:	67.2 KB
ID:	7188015

Name:	motoring-graphics-2_839469a.jpg
Size:	20.3 KB
ID:	7188016

Name:	9-12-2014 025.JPG
Size:	21.7 KB
ID:	7188017

Name:	123mixz.jpg
Size:	32.9 KB
ID:	7188018

Name:	1967-alfa-romeo-spider-1600-duetto-5-speed-manual-2-door-convertible-4.jpg
Size:	23.4 KB
ID:	7188019

Comment

[ATTACH]110039[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]110040[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]110041[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]110042[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]110043[/ATTACH]

Comment

They were so simple - tach, speedo, three engine gauges pointed at you, and some lights & wiper switches. Shifter, ash tray. Pininfarina radio blank-out plate below the three gauges - radio optional and hard to hear anyway.

Name:	alfa_0004.jpg
Size:	53.9 KB
ID:	7188025

1966-67...15" wheels, teardrop repeater light behind the front wheel, headlight covers (Euro), 1600 with Webers. Did NOT come with middle-aged women or Samsonites.

Name:	alfa-romeo-duetto008-1000x600.jpg
Size:	69.7 KB
ID:	7188026

1969....14" wheels, no repeater light, side marker lights for US, 1750 with SPICA injection. Not actually called a Duetto, it's a 1750 Spider Veloce.

Name:	Screen-Shot-2012-12-09-at-4.59.02-PM.jpg
Size:	59.8 KB
ID:	7188027

Comment

[ATTACH]110047[/ATTACH]

Name:	66 Duetto at Rd America.jpg
Size:	49.6 KB
ID:	7188031

[ATTACH]110048[/ATTACH]

I believe this is the actual car from "The Graduate" movie. The McGowens in Denver raced it from nearly new after the movie people sold it.
                        [ATTACH]110049[/ATTACH]

Comment

1600 Spider. Air filter can in photo right, then the soft crossover hose to the aluminum airbox on the Webers (it's supposed to be raw aluminum, not black). The air inlet comes out the bottom of the filter can and goes forward under the battery so the horn sticks right out into the grille under the headlight. Note no brake booster, you're supposed to use your leg! (Later ones had boosted brakes)
                          [ATTACH]110051[/ATTACH]

Surgery. This car is finished and perfect now.
                          [ATTACH]110052[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]110053[/ATTACH]

They talked about building this before the Miata-Fiat deal.
                          [ATTACH]110054[/ATTACH]

Comment

[ATTACH]110068[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]110069[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]110070[/ATTACH]

Alfa factory, WWII
                            [ATTACH]110071[/ATTACH]

Comment

I've got one of those wheels, but mine is all restored. I haven't been able to see it yet, but I hear its pretty close to perfect. I can't wait to see it.

Its interesting to see they moved the battery back to the engine bay on that 1600 Duetto. The 101 cassis all had the batteries in the trunk and the air filter intake runs through the inner fender and down to the front of the car.

Will
                              '59 Alfa Romeo 101.02 Giulietta Sprint
                              '69 Alfa Romeo 105.51 1750 GTV (R.I.P)
                              '69 Datsun 2000 roadster Vintage race car
                              '88 BMW M3

Comment

I think all early 105s have the battery like that.

Name:	1600engine.jpg
Size:	38.0 KB
ID:	7188061

Comment

Working...
                                X