Any lifters/gym people here?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by RondoAcapriccio View Post
    If he keeps it short it shouldn't matter too much. I warm up with a 5-10min jump rope session and then hit the heaviest compound movements first (ie: Deadlift, Squat, Or Bench). Do this so that you have maximum energy to put into these lifts since these hit the most and most important muscles. Then if I am up to it I Run for 30mins or w.e. I mostly run on my off days and average about 3-6 miles a week regardless.
    ^^this seems like a very smart globo gym work out routine. crossfit and strength and conditioning gyms are expensive
    '01 e46 330ci blk/blk (GF stole from me)
    '90 e30 325i Traded
    '95 e34 540i/manual swap (electric fire)
    '96 miata M-edition (not quite an e30 so i got below car)
    '93 Audi Urs-4 (like the e34 but still not an e30)
    :hitler:

Comment

Originally posted by Bryan/// View Post
      Im a certified crossfit trainer and work part time at a strength and conditioning gym. my advice is stop reading muscle and fitness magazines and get as much information from the above websites as possible before you turn into a globo tool. As for doing "muscle groups" in the gym..its great youll get stronger and build show muscle but if your more intrigued about health and athletic performance then look up louie simons and pavel tsatsuline. These guys are real gym rats and you will learn a great deal from them too.

This. Those two guys still change my view on how to work out daily.
      Need a part? PM me.

Get your Bass on. Luke's r3v Boxes are here: http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=198123

Comment

Originally posted by samiam3356 View Post
        If your trying to get stronger, then save the cardio or elipitcal for after your workouts. Common theory used to be you "warmed up" before doing any lifting, however most people I talk to now consider that old school and that you'll get better gains by not doing it. Obviously everyone is different but I know I lift decently stronger when I do cardio at the end of my workouts. Not saying you don't warm your muscles up just don't go crazy onthe cardio before lifting.
        The 10 minute elliptical workouts is more to get my heart rate up to around 130 before I start lifting. All around gets me into the right mindset, maybe its just me. The real cardio i save for the end.

Originally posted by Bryan/// View Post
        Im a certified crossfit trainer and work part time at a strength and conditioning gym. my advice is stop reading muscle and fitness magazines and get as much information from the above websites as possible before you turn into a globo tool. As for doing "muscle groups" in the gym..its great youll get stronger and build show muscle but if your more intrigued about health and athletic performance then look up louie simons and pavel tsatsuline. These guys are real gym rats and you will learn a great deal from them too.
        Will do. Love to learn. As for "show muscle" I'm a little vain and want that too ... ;)
        Current: 1988 M3 - Henna/Black black alcantara

Guten Parts + Service
        ... When you care enough to only give the very best.

Previous:
        '87 S50 MTech 1 325is
        '07 DTM Audi S4
        '03 VF Supercharged M3
        '03 Lexus IS300 (615rwhp/512rwtq)

Comment

Originally posted by JeST View Post

My workout usually consists of 15 minutes on the elliptical to get my heart rate up to around 130, work out 2-3 muscle groups, followed by a 20-30 minute jog, and finishing with a 5-10 minute sauna. I give about a day or 2 for the muscle to recoup. .
          That aerobic base is pretty lame. You need to crank your heart rate up to 80% Vo2 max at least once a week. And do aerobic for at least 45 minutes. Your base is nothing with out that.
          dlm

Comment

^ whats the reasoning for that? to stay healthy? lose weight? Get a better muscle building workout?

I dont do much aerobics/cardio. I dont use it anymore sadly. I used to play lacrosse, soccer, swim, and do track. I never really had to go to the gym to get cardio lol.

Comment

Der, your tip with the upside down pushup kicked my ASS! I saved it for last, mistake on my part, and was barely able to do 3 sets of 8. It's definitely going first next week.
              Current: 1988 M3 - Henna/Black black alcantara

Guten Parts + Service
              ... When you care enough to only give the very best.

Previous:
              '87 S50 MTech 1 325is
              '07 DTM Audi S4
              '03 VF Supercharged M3
              '03 Lexus IS300 (615rwhp/512rwtq)

Comment

Originally posted by JeST View Post
                Der, your tip with the upside down pushup kicked my ASS! I saved it for last, mistake on my part, and was barely able to do 3 sets of 8. It's definitely going first next week.
                hahhah duuuuude, i do em after my pull up warm up haha. theyre rough the first few times. you get stronger and stronger. be prepared to be sore tomorrow!

Comment

Originally posted by dlmrun2002 View Post
                  That aerobic base is pretty lame. You need to crank your heart rate up to 80% Vo2 max at least once a week. And do aerobic for at least 45 minutes. Your base is nothing with out that.
                  dlm
                  Bringing yourself to 80% of VO2 max will have no benefit for someone who is not into slow twitch/endurance.

You gave a pretty broad statement there with no reasoning and nothing to back yourself up. aerobic exercise can be much less than 45 and be effective. All depends what you're going for.
                  http://www.steinbachphoto.ca

Comment

Originally posted by steinbachphoto View Post
                    Bringing yourself to 80% of VO2 max will have no benefit for someone who is not into slow twitch/endurance.

You gave a pretty broad statement there with no reasoning and nothing to back yourself up. aerobic exercise can be much less than 45 and be effective. All depends what you're going for.
                    I feel running a mile fast enough with 170 Bpm is a good aerobic exercise. Elliptical for 45 min however seems pointless
                    Originally posted by blunttech
                    r3v does not fuck around. First you get banned, then they shoot you

Comment

I've also recently returned to lifting. Since late October and already see good progress in strength and physique.

I just do the whole muscle groups thing and try to mix it up in order to not plateau, throwing in crunches here and there. I'll either jog, ellipsoid, mountain bike or do the female led whatever class once or twice a week.

I have to say my post exercise meals/meals period are just as important though. Didn't really see anyone bring diet/supplements up. Steaks, chicken breast, tuna, ground beef, boiled eggs, cottage cheese, and of course the ole protein shake. I try to get my carbs from whole rice, oatmeal, and salad. Sometimes from bread cause I love sandwiches. I try to allow myself to eat liberally this time around. Back when I was really into lifting I think part of me plateauing was because I wasn't eating enough. I believe I feel the difference because of it but I can't be sure as last time was a long while ago.

now if only I can further cut down on drinking and actually get the correct type and quantity of rest. It's help me cut way down on smoking, only smoke socially when drinking now.

Congrats to all who continue, are getting back into it, or will be soon. Cardio is a must as well, of course.

Comment

Originally posted by Killacortes View Post
                        I feel running a mile fast enough with 170 Bpm is a good aerobic exercise. Elliptical for 45 min however seems pointless
                        Elliptical is pointless yes, But running on a treadmill nice and slow for 45min will be much more aerobic than a mile sprint. It's strange but the science behind it makes sense. It's crazy all the stuff I've learned since I've moved to endurance sports.
                        http://www.steinbachphoto.ca

Comment

I go to the gym 3-4 times a week before work for around 45 minutes. I usually just do lite circuits. I don't do much of any heavy free weights or lifting. I started going alittle over a year ago, I was already in good shape but wanted to tone up and build some muscle in areas I my normal activities don't get to. I eat right and ride a ton of BMX and lots of road riding in the warmer months so cardio at the gym bores me to absolute tears. It's made a very noticeable difference and I feel so much better all the time. I lost 40lbs in less than a year about 3 years ago strictly off changing eating habits and have kept it off while getting in the best shape I've ever been in.
                          91 318is M50 swapped
                          05 Honda Pilot

24V swap thread
                          http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=302524

Comment

Just a runner. I try to run at least 2-3 miles every other day. I hope to start training for a 1/2 marathon, but we'll see how that goes once I get my 5k pace up.
                            '84 318i M10B18 147- Safari Beige
                            NA: 93whp/90ftlbs, MS2E w/ LC, 2-Step
                            Turbo: 221whp/214ftlbs, MS3x flex @ 17psi

Comment

seems like OP just wants to be healthy, why is everyone getting so detailed with this? it's a freakin simple energy equation. If your using more energy then you consume then you will lose weight, that simple, energy in to energy out.
                              "I wanna see da boat movie"
                              "I got a tree on my house"

Comment

Originally posted by Thizzelle View Post
                                seems like OP just wants to be healthy, why is everyone getting so detailed with this? it's a freakin simple energy equation. If your using more energy then you consume then you will lose weight, that simple, energy in to energy out.

Um... in the first post, He mentioned workout routines and supplements. So i think he's looking for information on that as well.

Its a "Lifter/gym people" thread, not a "lose weight, be healthy" thread.

Comment

Working...
                                X