No announcement yet.

Why convert EFI to Carbs!?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'd stay away from the old school webers/dellorto etc carbs,known a few guys run them on race cars they always need tweaking.

I'm an old school guy and just can't get confident in my abilities to install/tune/trouble shoot standalone set-ups.I've built race car projects with carbs and standalones and I always hate having to rely on others to sort my shit out.Once its sorted and all stays well without question EFI is the way to go.

The last models of sport bikes with carbs offered some very good working units,from a dead smooth idle to 12,000rpm with no issues regardless of air temps or throttle positions.Also very easy to set up a blow thru turbo set-up.

I built a supercharged 20v 4ag for my AE86,sponsored by a shop to supply/install/tune the standalone.Both they and I struggled with that engine combo until I got pissed off and pulled it,swapped the head back to a 16v and went carbs.I used Yamaha RX1 sled carbs(sidedraft vs downdraft the R1 used)I got for free from a cartwheeled sled,turbo from a wrx and built everything else myself.Car ran 1st try and took minimal effort to tune and never needed to be retuned with weather or boost changes as the charge pipe to the air box used a pitot tube which was plumbed to the fuel bowls....more boost simply meant more pressure to the fuel bowls forcing it thru the main jets under pressure.
    A properly tuned EFI would likely have been better but it wouldn't have offered much gain as it drove very damn well with lots of throttle manipulation not upsetting it at all.For sure an EFI set-up costing the same $$ as I had into wouldn't have worked anywhere near as well.

My ice racer tercel will be getting R1 carbs(they come with TPS)along with a big bump in compression with the new engine for next yr,I'll run the ignition with the stock ecu.Simple wideband gauge to tune afr's and it should offer a bump in power and response with the 4 throttle over the single throttle.

My supercharged Miata race car is standalone and will remain as such,as will my 24v swapped and sc'd e30 street car.

Each has their place,no need to fight and bash each other over it.;)

Comment

Originally posted by graveshaker View Post
      Side draft Webers are great, here's my built VW Rabbit GTI 13.1 compression 180hp dune buggy. The sound and throttle response like many mentioned is pure awesomeness....
      How long between rebuilds on that thing? Sounds beastly.
      Originally posted by StereoInstaller1
      Do you feel like something is trying to penetrate your butthole?

Comment

Originally posted by LJ851 View Post
        Have you ever driven a Bavaria? I wouldn't call that an "unhappy" engine. Not saying it's better than a sidedraft, but it certainly works just fine. So do 2002s.
        What's a small issue on a stock motor would probably be a larger issue on the motor being described. I had a 32/36 on my 2002 and liked it a lot. A pair of 45 DCOEs would have made it look silly, though. Good is good; great is better. :)
        Originally posted by graveshaker View Post
        Side draft Webers are great, here's my built VW Rabbit GTI 13.1 compression 180hp dune buggy. The sound and throttle response like many mentioned is pure awesomeness.
        What's that tower coming out of the cap above the main jets and air correctors?
        Interested in vintage cars? Ever thought about racing one? Info, photos, videos, and more can be found at www.michaelsvintageracing.com!

Elva Courier build thread here!

Comment

So this seems like a reasonable place to post a photo of my old AE86:

Are carbs a pain in the ass? YES. Would I do it again? YES.
          sigpic
          1991 325i Sport - Calypsorot Metallic - DAILY DRIVEN

WTB in SoCal: 8"/10" Lukebox, leather Sport steering wheel, 60L MotoMeter fuel gauge, Thule/Yakima roof rack

Comment

Very nice engine bay,AE86's were essentially the common mans E30 when new.

Mine wasn't as snazzy,more function over form...

I built the full composite body myself,along with the engine,cage,custom suspension etc etc.

Finished body(but with the supercharged 20v and w2a)

Ok back to carbs.....

Comment

Composite BODY!? Damn.

I bet yours was a lot faster, I was never happy with the performance of mine, not in the slightest. It might have done better with an experienced tuner but I couldn't find one willing to touch it, I was on my own. Only once have I bought a car worth more than what I lost on that 86, horrible decision all around, but the carbs had nothing to do with that.
              sigpic

WTB in SoCal: 8"/10" Lukebox, leather Sport steering wheel, 60L MotoMeter fuel gauge, Thule/Yakima roof rack

Comment

Yes mine made pretty decent power,leave tracks from a roll in 3rd gear on slicks.I twisted the T50 trans at 12 lbs and built my own adapter to fit eh W55 supra box...18lbs was a little nutty.

Car weighed 1800lbs even with the jungle gym.

Comment

A member on mye28 sold me a set of twin 2bbl manifolds for $40 I have a feeling that they aren't gonna clear the booster but I thought Id take a gamble and mock them up at least. Gonna keep my eye open for a 4bbl manifold.

Im pretty sure nobody has run a carbed M30 in an e30. I cant even find a mention of it anywhere on the internet. Maybe cause its a stupid idea. idk. Guess Ill find out here soon
                  = Heidi 1988 325 -> 335i. 7200rpm built M30

Comment

Originally posted by L8 apexr View Post
                    Yes mine made pretty decent power,leave tracks from a roll in 3rd gear on slicks.I twisted the T50 trans at 12 lbs and built my own adapter to fit eh W55 supra box...18lbs was a little nutty.

Car weighed 1800lbs even with the jungle gym.

Yeah mine wouldn't really spin the tires in any gear, which sucked considering my primary intentions for the car was learning how to drift. I probably wasn't hard enough on it though, stuff would break if you looked at it funny so I just cruised it and stuff would still always fail. I shoulda stuck with the Fox body notch I wanted in the first place.
                    sigpic

Comment

BRAAAAPPPPP

sigpic

Comment

^sex

Comment

Originally posted by xwill112x View Post
                          Since i've helped dyno tune several DEI cars to make over 850 horsepower.
                          Like this?

88 325is - S52 powered

Originally posted by King Arthur
                          We'll not risk another frontal assault, that rabbit's dynamite!

Comment

100% efficiency yo

Comment

Super egr bro

Comment

Update on my carb project. :Bought this sweet 4bbl manifold too. Going with an eddy 500cfm performer.

Comment

Working...
                                X