Garage's?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Garage's?

Has anyone recently built one? Looking to sell my oversized storage unit/garage and demolish my current garage to build a newer and functional one here at home.

Thinking either 24x36 with 12 foot ceilings and small man/cave upstairs or do a 32 x 28 with a high bay and the other side having a traditional standard door of 16x8.

I am sick of using jack stands and the max jack while nice I never could truly work under it. The town zoning laws have restricted me to a 25 foot height for my area. That bites.
    https://www.facebook.com/BentOverRacing

I'd much rather have a garage attached to the house. You can make the ceiling much higher than that too because if will be part of the house. I would want it insulated, heated, and cooled just like the rest of the house as well. And get a 2 post lift.
    Zinno '89 <24v swap in progress>

Comment

pics of what you are selling?

Comment

Number 3 is what it looks like. minus the few details.

Looks like this but the double door is at the opposite end and the windows are on the opposing side of the personnel door. Has a insulated garage door as well.

Paid 5800 for it at here, http://www.thebarnyardstore.com/

Comment

my brother and i built his detach garage a few years ago, 25x20. its not bad. a few help from friends and family goes a long way

make sure you follow all your local building codes
          1990 325is -- all stock
          1988 325ix -- Gone
          1990 325i -- Gone
          1990 325is -- Gone
          1988 M3 -- Gone
          1989 325i -- Gone
          1991 325ix -- Gone

Comment

Originally posted by highlife View Post
            my brother and i built his detach garage a few years ago, 25x20. its not bad. a few help from friends and family goes a long way

make sure you follow all your local building codes
            Dealing with that now.....

Originally posted by VinniE30 View Post
            I'd much rather have a garage attached to the house. You can make the ceiling much higher than that too because if will be part of the house. I would want it insulated, heated, and cooled just like the rest of the house as well. And get a 2 post lift.
            Have heat, have insulation in my current unit. Can't follow the roof, house is on property in odd shape, will build on same foot print only slightly larger. I am 24 wide and 26 deep with an 8 foot ceiling as mentioned. Structure is OLD and honestly needs improvements.

Comment

I miss my dads old garage. 2 stories, downstairs was massive. He built it to fit 4 1948 buick roadmasters with room to spare. 12 foot ceilings, heated, well lit, etc...

Upstairs was essentially my high school party loft. fit 100 people, fooseball table, stereo, lots of naked women.

If i ever build one it will be modeled after that.

Current Car: 2011 BMW 135i, M-Sport, 6 speed

Originally posted by lambo
              Sounds like you need a massage.
              Originally posted by kpeng
              Who the hell is Vlad?

Comment

Prepare to spend in the 60k range for a structure of size.

Comment

most old 2x4s are actually 'stronger' than new ones due to how fast we grow trees these days.

I work at a engineering firm now and deal with expansion/remodels everyday~ codes are never the issue.... usually the code inspector is the issue. That book is pretty thick and they cant memorize everything, so usually each inspector has a section he/she is a stickler about. Around here it is retaining walls and foundations which they can be picky about. My old job was hvac/mechanical and they had no clue about any of it so people got away with murder all the time.

The easiest thing to do is just show the code folks exactly what you are planning on doing and making sure it is 100% legit before you build anything. In NC you only need to doodle a sketch on a napkin and show how many sq ft to pull a permit if you are the homeowner, but after that they will have to inspect whatever the heck you build up to code. Not a big deal~ if a meth addict and someone who cant even speak english do it so can you!

We built a 20ishx20ish carport for a friends 80s porsche 911 last summer~ 6 8x8 posts and cement- 2x8 rafters with purlins and metal roof - the basic structure was probably $1500-2k in materials and 2k in labor... covering the whole thing is ceder later was what really blew the $ amount up.

You can build stuff CHEAP if you have friends that know how to build stuff- use their help to get the hard stuff out of the way and let you take care of what your skill level can handle. Or you could pay a crew to have it all done in a weekend and not have to lose sleep over it all.

Garages are cheap, but adding 900sq ft of insulated and conditioned space plus a loft is going to hit the $$ sign hard. It is almost impossible to get anything residential done around here for less than $150 a sq ft ~ garages drop that easily in half since you dont need floor/insulation or as annoying codes (outlets every 6 feet? wtf are people plugging in!)

You could def get it done for 60k~ and remember that the 'loft' area would be adding sq footage to the resale value of the house so a bank may even give you a loan to buy a car lift ;)

After I finish my current un-garage remodel I will be adding another garage to the back yard. The 10ft setback from property edge is what I am struggling with now.

We should probably get together and design the ultimate e30 man cave / garage.

Pic: I will probable end up with something like this but site built instead of prefab and less horrible color choices.

I actually like this styling better but it is only for a 85mph wind zone, so the inspector would make us run some numbers on it if he knew it was a 'kit'
                  http://www.barnpros.com/products/gar...se-garage.html
                  I would also size some beams in there so you didn't need those posts in the middle~ pretty annoying for shops and pretty good for denting your doors.
                  Last edited by Q5Quint; 02-08-2012, 01:19 PM. Reason: pic

Comment

That structure is basically what I am looking at. That can be built from www.84lumber.com for about 7.1K + extra windows. I have doors and plan to reuse them plus fixtures. I will need to bring my foundation up to current codes.

Comment

You can do it man! Although I haven't seen the house since last itme I'm sure you're beasting it!

SC*AR (Schwarz Army)
                      No longer stock ride height, rolling as low as a daily driver in New England should without worrying about breaking an oil pan. :up:

Comment

Kitchen is done except trim and vinyl floor.

Comment

Is your yard flat? You shouldn't need much of a foundation if there isn't going to be anything other than snow loads sitting on top of it.

7-10k for materials seems right~ is that concrete for the floor included? Is that finished walls or open? I think our codes changed and we cant leave open stud cavities anymore, everything has to be plywood or drywall.

Most of our local lumber yards do framing packages as well~ if you just give them dimensions and roof type it spits out the required materials, cost, and cool 3d renderings of how everything should go together. Neat.

Looks like this:

I am looking at that 84 lumber site~ looks pretty legit and has some good plans too. Cant tell if they are using let in bracing or something instead of sheathing since it only says 'roof sheathing', you would still need to concrete the floor, code guy might want gutters, you might want a taller than 7ft door if you work on big trucks, might need to finish the inside a bit but looks like most stuff is there. I would seriously recommend running the plans by a local lumber yard to price out in order to compare $ as well- a 2x4 stud is running around 2.80ish here

Found this~a 24x24 with a normal roof. Has a good plan detail in the beginning and good materials list on the last page. Most of the stuff I deal with is on page 12-20... the 'fun' calculations to make sure it isnt going to fall down if you use a 2x10 instead of a 2x12.http://www.cadnw.com/images/FreeGarage.pdf

Comment

was actually at a company last night to talk about a 33 foot by 50 foot garage in my yard. looks like it is going to come out to about 45,000 euros. plans are going with a flat roof of 10 feet to 13 feet to be able to run a lift with a complete roof of 150° meters of solar panels so the building will pay for itself hopefully. gonna see what the bank says later this week. shoud be able to hold atleast 12 cars with a wall to seperate storage (8cars) from work area!!!! my dream.

Comment

84Lumber is literally right next door to my work. We do a lot of business together since I work for a company that does doors, door hardware, and metal door frames. They're complete asswipes to work with sometimes but they know their shit. They'll be nice to direct homeowners, but they rightfully hate some of our Project Managers, lol. Good company for the most part. I will say, at my location(Central Indy), about 40% of their wood is kept indoors, 40% is kept sheltered outside, and 20% is outside with no covering year round.

Originally posted by Ryan...
                              It now emits a beautiful blue-ish yellow/green smoke from the exhaust?? No idea what would cause that color, but I assume its good.

Comment

Working...
                              X