Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

PC help. Quad/Duel Channel Memory

Hi guys

Just want to ask a PC question quickly, I currently have got a Duel Channel 4x4gb corsair xmas 1600MHz. I want to up grade my mother board to a 990fx to take advantage of Bulldozer 2nd Gen when it comes out, my memory will work on that board no problem.

But the new Bulldozer will have Quad Channel support which also means I can move up to 4x8gb sticks. But currently the 990fx boards only support Duel Channel.

So can you put Quad Channel Memory in a Duel Channel motherboard? Or can a bios update convert a Duel Channel Board to support Quad Channel? I seem to be getting mixed answers looking at google, so just want a strait answer.

Oh and I use my pc for 3D modeling and rendering so the more cores and memory the better, before someone tells me that I don't need that much ram.

Cheers
    sigpic

I would think it would really depend on the form-factor/pin configuration of the new gen memory when it comes out. If it were that same style, then I'm sure it would be implemented via a bios update. I'm outdated when it comes to building these new PCs.

Comment

Originally posted by Devil Inc View Post
      I would think it would really depend on the form-factor/pin configuration of the new gen memory when it comes out. I'm outdated when it comes to building these new PCs.
      I believe the pin layout is the same weather it is dual or quad, from what I can gather quad memory should revert dual channel in a dual channel board and dual channel should not matter in a quad channel board.

But I wanted to check just in case.
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Massimo View Post
        I believe the pin layout is the same weather it is dual or quad, from what I can gather quad memory should revert dual channel in a dual channel board and dual channel should not matter in a quad channel board.

But I wanted to check just in case.

Sounds like you got it :) I dont really think you will be taking much of a performance hit in the real world.

Comment

Ditch bulldozer, and go for ivy bridge.
          tasty

Comment

Working...
          X