No announcement yet.

OFFICIAL Land Rover thread.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It's going to be a ways off before I get to put it in. My Borg leaks like a sieve. I'll reseal the LT while it's out. Too bad this rust free frame won't fit my truck...
    1974.5 Jensen Healey : 2003 330i/5

Comment

Mang. That was fun. It's a little more bare than I though. DS are gone, but the LT230 is in good working order, as well as the trans. Even looks like the LT may have already been resealed. Rear axle has new brakes and has been resealed with new fluid in it. Frame is rust free free.

My Rover towed it like a champ....and beaten, tired, and out of shape champ.

We've got some plans for this frame too.....long term, but epic.

May try to hit the pick-n-save and nab the axles, range selector console, and other bits on an "all you can carry day". They have a 96, 97, and 98 Disco.

Comment

Originally posted by slammin.e28 View Post
        Mang. That was fun. It's a little more bare than I though. DS are gone, but the LT230 is in good working order, as well as the trans. Even looks like the LT may have already been resealed. Rear axle has new brakes and has been resealed with new fluid in it. Frame is rust free free.

My Rover towed it like a champ....and beaten, tired, and out of shape champ.

We've got some plans for this frame too.....long term, but epic.

May try to hit the pick-n-save and nab the axles, range selector console, and other bits on an "all you can carry day". They have a 96, 97, and 98 Disco.
        How many rover v8s can we "carry"?
        1986 Plymouth Horizon. Base.

Comment

Originally posted by InuFaye View Post
          How many rover v8s can we "carry"?
          How ever many we have to.

They're about 320lbs bare.

Found this gem:

Gives me ideas.....
          Last edited by slammin.e28; 06-26-2013, 07:55 AM.

Comment

Finding info online has been tough and I'd prefer not to just buy parts to tinker.

Disco 2 ZF 4H22, has anyone tossed an E30 Bellhousing on it + torque converter? My headgaskets need to be done at some point and I have a nice M50 sitting on a stand...

I could wrecking yard a disco transmission and test it with some E30 Auto parts, but I'd prefer to see if anyone has.

Comment

Originally posted by James Crivellone View Post
              Finding info online has been tough and I'd prefer not to just buy parts to tinker.

Disco 2 ZF 4H22, has anyone tossed an E30 Bellhousing on it + torque converter? My headgaskets need to be done at some point and I have a nice M50 sitting on a stand...

I could wrecking yard a disco transmission and test it with some E30 Auto parts, but I'd prefer to see if anyone has.
              ME ME ME ME!

That's exactly what I have on my truck, well, M52 on OBD1, but retained the OBD2 intake mani to try to salvage as much torque as possible.

Also, South African Defenders (circa late 90s) got M52s from the factory.

Comment

ME ME ME ME!

That's exactly what I have on my truck, well, M52 on OBD1, but retained the OBD2 intake mani to try to salvage as much torque as possible.

Also, South African Defenders (circa late 90s) got M52s from the factory.
                Shit! I thought you had a manual for some reason!

So E30 Bellhousing, flex plate, torque converter, and unmolested transmission from the rover?

Sweet.. I know what I'm doing instead of headgaskets when they pop!

Comment

So E30 Bellhousing, flex plate, torque converter, and unmolested transmission from the rover?

I want to see what kind of MPG a Disco gets with an M50.

Comment

It's all from an M20. Rover TQ converter bolts were wrong, so you want the M20 ones. You will have to modify the fire wall a bit. Exhaust is a bit challenging. Wasn't really room for the stock manifolds, so we put a turbo log mani on upside down and tied it into the stock Rover exhaust. Fuel lines have to be brought up over the engine to the rail, as they come up on the passenger side of the truck. Custom mounts arms, of course, but I've got the stock Rover rubber engine mounts. Have to get creative with the belt routing and accessory placement because of the steering box. Oil pan IIRC is a rear sump to clear the axle.

Originally posted by 10Toes View Post
                    I want to see what kind of MPG a Disco gets with an M50.
                    I get maybe 17 on a good day in my RRC. I daily the thing. I've been battling vacuum leaks and the such, so that's probably not too accurate.

I've been told it's quicker than a Rover V8, but IDK. It def needs to be rung out a bit to get going quickly, but it's not bad at all. I cruised about 80 up I81 no problemo to pick up a Disco 1 frame, trans, LT230 TC.
                    Last edited by slammin.e28; 07-02-2013, 10:12 AM.

Comment

I think it's all from an e30. I'll have to ask my friend who actually did the swap. I know it's an e30 flex plate (I supplied that), so I assume bell housing and TQ converter. There was an issue with some bolts being too long. Also, you will have to modify the fire wall a bit. Exhaust is a bit challenging. Wasn't really room for the stock manifolds, so we put a turbo log mani on upside down and tied it into the stock Rover exhaust. Fuel lines have to be brought up over the engine to the rail, as they come up on the passenger side of the truck. Custom mounts arms, of course, but I've got the stock Rover rubber engine mounts. Have to get creative with the belt routing and accessory placement because of the steering box. Oil pan IIRC is a rear sump to clear the axle.

I get maybe 17 on a good day in my RRC. I daily the thing. I've been battling vacuum leaks and the such, so that's probably not too accurate.

"creative" , lol

Lorin

Originally posted by slammin.e28
                      The M30 is God's engine.

Comment

Originally posted by LJ851 View Post
                        "creative" , lol

Lawl, that's all gone now.

Old pics, but it's all together now. Ditched the AC as it was R12 and I didn't feel like messing with it. I drive my M3 on hot days. Put the PS pump where the A/C compressor was on the M52, as you can see with my adapter.

Comment

Saw this last weekend:

Comment

So, went on an impromptu expedition today. Inufaye and I went to find the start to the Big Levels trail in Sherando. Ended up running the whole trail. Took about 2 hours. Realized my Rover needs drastically more torque, and I need to water proof the engine bay, particularly the O2 sensor and MAF wiring. Got stuck dead in 2+ feet of water when the O2 sensor wiring got soaked. Unplugged it and it ran like a champ all the way to the end of the trail. Plugged it back in on pavement and ran just fine all the way home. Also, couldn't get the damn thing to shift into low range. Almost saw us turning around and going back down, but we managed to Rove on in high. Cannot wait to slap this LT230 in.

Didn't really get any pics but a few when we got to the parkway, at the trail exit. Some say this trail would be fine for stock trucks, etc....nope. No way. It was fun though. Kinda of a de-bugging run because I now know what to focus my attention on to make the truck more off road friendly.

Comment

Out of curiosity, what suspension are you running?
                              1985 M10b18. 70maybewhpoffury. Over engineered S50b30 murica BBQ swap in progress.

Originally posted by DEV0 E30
                              You'd chugg this butt. I know you would. Ain't gotta' lie to kick it brostantinople.

Comment

Originally posted by Holland View Post
                                Out of curiosity, what suspension are you running?
                                Old man emu medium duty springs with bilstein shocks with stock size BFG M/T tires.

Comment

Working...
                                X