No announcement yet.

OFFICIAL Land Rover thread.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I will keep my eye open for some, they just tend to be more expensive.

What should I look for in a good rover? Low mileage? Maintenance records?

Comment

IMO maintenance > mileage.
      1974.5 Jensen Healey : 2003 330i/5

Comment

As always, but do these motors run a long time?

Also, reading some D1 vs D2 threads and seems as if it can go either way. You have owned both right? What makes you prefer the D2?

Comment

Land Rover dorks..
          -1976 2002 daily (Sold)
          -1986 528e 5 speed daily

Comment

I've slept in the back of my D2 on several occasions, it's not exactly comfortable but it is not bad. But i can literally sleep anywhere so idk if you'd like it.

the 4.0 motors are more reliable than the 4.6 in the 03-04 from what I've heard. The rover V8 is based on the Buick 215, it's a really good motor. But like any car if you don't take care of it, it'll give you hell.
            -Alex

Comment

I like the price range and simplicity of the disco 1's more. The D2's look nicer and more comfy, but they are a lot more expensive than the D2's.

Last edited by mbonanni; 04-29-2015, 06:34 PM.

Comment

Lol, looks like they got their interior mixed up.

Comment

Must be all those other cars for sale that got em mixed up. I have a couple weeks left in this semester and then I will be moving home for the summer. I should be able to pickup a rover then.

Comment

95 rrc

[ATTACH]96739[/ATTACH]
                    95 rrc swb
                    sigpic

Comment

I want a RRC but there are not many for sale across CA. Been checking CL everyday for disco's though. Lots for sale, but nothing special.

From the disc I to disco II are the motors different? Is there reliability difference from the I/II?

Comment

The DI and early DII had the 4.0 (except for the '94s I think had a 3.9), the later models ('03-'04) had the 4.6 which had more problems than the 4.0. Apparently when they get hot they like to drop a cylinder sleeve. I'm sure slammin will chime in with more accurate info. Also the DII has Bosch engine management instead of Lucas.
                        -Alex

Comment

Mother fucker. I had a whole nice reply typed and thought out and goddamn r3v logged me out.

I'm going back to Defender Source.

Comment

IMHO:

Early D2 is the truck to get. Best of all worlds. Suspension, has CDL, just need linkage. Bosch engine management (THOR V8). Various creature comforts. Great highway driver...even with my offroad tires and 1" susp spacers it just cruises.

D1, to me, seems a bit primitive. Although more offroad friendly. IDK. I used to like them....but since having the D2 I've been swayed.

D1 has 14CUX fuel management. Basically updated L-Jet.

D2 4.6 I think doesn't really deserve the bad rap it gets. If you know how to watch the temps you'll be okay.

2004 D2 is THE ONE to get. 4.6. CDL w/linkage, etc.
                            2000-2001.5 is next in line. 4.0. CDL, just need linkage, either from a '04 or a D1. Just MAKE SURE you crawl up under the truck and find the "nipple" on the T-case.
                            D1 would be next on my list....early one IIRC (up to 1995?)...before GEMS
                            Next up would be a GEMS D1...GEMS is garbage.
                            Lastly would be the 2002-2003 D2. Fuck those. No option of CDL unless you swap the T/C or the output.

Comment

our 4.0 p38 has 250k on the clock. Just did a slight overhaul. Timing chain and the rod bearings were worn out how fun. All in all it still runs with a whopping 14mpg highway

NEW ERA AUTO GLASS - SFV SOCAL - 818 974-3673
                              DREWLIENTE

1$ PShops PM me

Comment

Originally posted by E30_Pare View Post
                                our 4.0 p38 has 250k on the clock. Just did a slight overhaul. Timing chain and the rod bearings were worn out how fun. All in all it still runs with a whopping 14mpg highway
                                1st Timing chain?

I'm debating on doing the chain/oil pump when I do the waterpump. At 112k now.

Comment

Working...
                                X