• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by InuFaye View Post
    I thought E90 bumpers were plastic.
    Originally posted by 10Toes View Post
    lolololololol, FIBERGLASS
    I have no clue what its made of lol. Took a wild guess.

Looked it up and its polypropylene. Well still dont what the damage is. Would like a new bumper but if it can be returned to a "like new" state I will accept that.
    SO MUCH MORE TO DO!!
    IG: ohthejosh

LEGIT CHECK ME BRUH
    BUYER FEEDBACK THREAD

Comment

The bumper plastic will stretch and will be reasonably hard to fix with a heat gun. They can try to fill it in with flexible body fillers, but my feeling is that they'll likely end up replacing the bumper. Either way, it'll probably be close to 1k in damage.

(Got rear ended one time, damage was similar, quoted $6xx to fix-and that was on a '96 Honda)
      The first car I ever rode in was an e30

Originally posted by Cabriolet
      Wish you the best and hope you don't remember anything after 10pm.

1992 Mauritiusblau Vert
      2011 Alpinweiss 335is coupe

2002 540i/6 Black/Black
      2003 GSX-R 750 (RIP)

Comment

Make her insurance pay whatever it costs to get fixed. For the future, possible look into off-street parking.
        "I think we consider too much the good luck of the early bird and not enough the bad luck of the early worm."
        -Franklin D. Roosevelt

Comment

Originally posted by Vivek View Post
          The bumper plastic will stretch and will be reasonably hard to fix with a heat gun. They can try to fill it in with flexible body fillers, but my feeling is that they'll likely end up replacing the bumper. Either way, it'll probably be close to 1k in damage.

(Got rear ended one time, damage was similar, quoted $6xx to fix-and that was on a '96 Honda)
          watch out guise, professional body filler toddler Vivi is in the house

Comment

Professional? No. Experience? Yes.

And for most bumper damage they just replace the bumper, I was surprised that they were planning on filling it in my case.

1992 Mauritiusblau Vert

2002 540i/6 Black/Black
            2003 GSX-R 750 (RIP)

Comment

Originally posted by Morrison View Post
              Make her insurance pay whatever it costs to get fixed. For the future, possible look into off-street parking.
              Thats the thing, I always try parking at the end of any parking lot so that way damage if it were to happen can only be one side vs both, same goes with street parking if I can get an end spot like I did that day I thought I was safe.

I was wrong, I saw it that day and was dumbfounded at the extreme lack of respect for the law and my property. I was furious but previous experiences have told me to keep my cool in situations like this and just work out as professionally as possible like an adult.
              SO MUCH MORE TO DO!!

LEGIT CHECK ME BRUH
              BUYER FEEDBACK THREAD

Comment

Originally posted by Vivek View Post

Professional? No. Experience? Yes.

And for most bumper damage they just replace the bumper, I was surprised that they were planning on filling it in my case.
                If they were to fill dents on plastic bumpers which are relatively flexible, would it not crack if it were to flex again even the slightest bit?
                SO MUCH MORE TO DO!!

LEGIT CHECK ME BRUH
                BUYER FEEDBACK THREAD

Comment

Originally posted by ohthejosh View Post
                  If they were to fill dents on plastic bumpers which are relatively flexible, would it not crack if it were to flex again even the slightest bit?
                  it depends. I believe the correct procedure in your case is to actually drill a few holes surrounding the dented area. that way, once the flexible epoxy is applied it will be secure and won't fail under stress. At least, thats how you fixed cracked bumpers. Then they would sand into a smooth finish. Finally, a flex additive would be mixed into the paint (which they should anyway if you have any plastic bumper).

Shops and insurance would usually weigh this options as to whether or not it be more practical and less risky if you were to simply just replace the entire thing.

Again, if you are firm with wanting to retain the resale value of your car, you can make the case for them to replace it. That's what I did when my 3 month old e46 got dent on the bumper. Well, they actually cut me a check for $1000 but I only ended up spending about $300 to patch it up

Comment

This reminds me of a letter I saw at the gym a little while back. It was someone asking for whoever dinged his door on his brand new car to come forth and be respectful and pay for the damage they produced. Just like any of use we don't want our cars to look like shit. Don't know what happened out of it but some fucking asshole hippe writes on it "get over it, these things happen and you'll never be able to keep your car perfect". Just always think people like this are disrespectful assholes and probably door ding peoples shit on purpose. Same people who suck at driving like this girl.
                    "I wanna see da boat movie"
                    "I got a tree on my house"

Comment

But you guys being from Norcal can relate when I say the Prius drivers/owners here tend to be smug, wreckless, and arrogant. I am by no means saying EVERY Prius owner out there is like that but the majority I see on the roads around here are.
                      Last edited by ohthejosh; 07-18-2012, 10:28 AM.
                      SO MUCH MORE TO DO!!

LEGIT CHECK ME BRUH
                      BUYER FEEDBACK THREAD

Comment

Good on you for getting the cops involved. I just was recently was in a fender bender, and before she got out of her car I was on the phone with the cops.

Comment

Originally posted by ohthejosh View Post
                          But you guys being from Norcal can relate when I say the Prius drivers/owners hear tend to be smug, wreckless, and arrogant. I am by no means saying EVERY Prius owner out there is like that but the majority I see on the roads around here are.
                          doesn't have to be prius. pretty much any driver up here in norcal is wreckless and inconsiderate. just get on 101, 880, 680 and you'll wonder how some of these idiots pass a driving test.

Comment

This shit makes me rage...

Young, old, in between, people are inconsiderate disrespectful a-holes.

I was in my e92 m3 last week waiting for my pops to finish up in the hardware store. I was in the end spot of the row and all the way in the far side of the spot next to the curb.
                            This old guy (probably about 75 years old) in a 70s ford pickup pulls in next to me close, decides he's not close enough, backs out, pulls in CLOSER, then WHAM, intentionally slams his door open into the side of my car about as hard as one can open a door.

I immediately got out and he looks at my door, then his and laughs. Said, "don't worry sonny, my doors fine! I put these protector strips on it for when i hit bmws." Then starts walking away. I was fuming as i went to see if there was any damage.
                            Luckily it hit the plastic handle on my car perfectly on the rubber door strip of his shitty pickup and didn't leave a mark, not for his lack of trying.
                            Guy then says, "you a lawyer? I told my wife i better be careful parking next to this bmw because this guys probably a lawyer..." and he just walks away w/ his wife then into the hardware store. WTF.

Recap: fuck people

Comment

Originally posted by Hansel View Post
                              fuck people
                              SO MUCH MORE TO DO!!

LEGIT CHECK ME BRUH
                              BUYER FEEDBACK THREAD

Comment

Originally posted by Hansel View Post
                                This shit makes me rage...

Young, old, in between, people are inconsiderate disrespectful a-holes.

I was in my e92 m3 last week waiting for my pops to finish up in the hardware store. I was in the end spot of the row and all the way in the far side of the spot next to the curb.
                                This old guy (probably about 75 years old) in a 70s ford pickup pulls in next to me close, decides he's not close enough, backs out, pulls in CLOSER, then WHAM, intentionally slams his door open into the side of my car about as hard as one can open a door.

I immediately got out and he looks at my door, then his and laughs. Said, "don't worry sonny, my doors fine! I put these protector strips on it for when i hit bmws." Then starts walking away. I was fuming as i went to see if there was any damage.
                                Luckily it hit the plastic handle on my car perfectly on the rubber door strip of his shitty pickup and didn't leave a mark, not for his lack of trying.
                                Guy then says, "you a lawyer? I told my wife i better be careful parking next to this bmw because this guys probably a lawyer..." and he just walks away w/ his wife then into the hardware store. WTF.

Recap: fuck people
                                I woulda keyed the hell out of his car.

1992 Mauritiusblau Vert

2002 540i/6 Black/Black
                                2003 GSX-R 750 (RIP)

Comment

Working...
                                X