Calling 135i owners and/or BMW techs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Calling 135i owners and/or BMW techs

I already put a post up on my 1 series forum but thought I would put something up here as well, as I know there are other 135i owners and some BMW technicians on R3V.
    Our 135i has been having a recurring problem for a bit over a month now. The car has no tunes or modifications of any kind what so ever besides a few small cosmetic mods like lights and wheels. It is only two years old, has only been auto crossed ones, and sees mostly highway driving. It has had all its servicing done at Sonnen BMW in San Rafael CA, and has had all the recall work done.
    The "service engine soon" light comes on along with a very poorly running engine and rich smelling exhaust. When these symptoms start occurring they last for about a minute, and over a period of about 3-4 days start lasting longer until they occur all day long.

We have had the car in three times now, and just brought it back in for the third time yesterday.
    The first time they replaced the valve cover gasket and told us it was most likely a vac leak.
    The second time they replaced the cat, because they found it was COMPLETELY destroyed. They tried to blame it on us and told us we had most likely tuned the car. We had at no point and time done so.
    Now it is in for the third time. We will see what they find. I wonder what the cat will look like. Burned out again? The service adviser took the car home to drive for a day or two so he can experience the car for himself.
    Oh yeah. I forgot to mention that the second time we got the car back, it came back with a weird suspension noise. When the wheels are turned lock to lock in ether direction something makes a weird dull twanging noise like when you pluck a guitar string at the very very top of the fret board right below the tuning knobs.
    If the car comes back after the third time and has the same problems, I think my girl friend is going to return it to BMW. The adviser already told us he would help with the proses if it came to that.
    Any advice or experience would be appreciated.

Cheers
    sigpic
    "The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten."

What's the code?

Comment

what codes are coming up?
      Build your own dreams, or someone else will hire you to build theirs!

Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

Comment

fuel pump failure?

Comment

I cant plug in my code reader right now. I am in WA and the car is in CA till the 31st.
          Sorry. I should have done that the first time I took it in.

They have replaced the fuel pump in the recent passed along with injectors and plugs.
          sigpic
          "The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten."

Comment

Lots of OEM's that have gone to the direct injection are having big issues with carbon deposits on the intake side of things.
            Originally posted by Fusion
            If a car is the epitome of freedom, than an electric car is house arrest with your wife titty fucking your next door neighbor.
            The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money. -Alexis de Tocqueville

The Desire to Save Humanity is Always a False Front for the Urge to Rule it- H. L. Mencken

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants.
            William Pitt-

Comment

has your 135i had the high pressure fuel pump replaced yet?

Comment

Originally posted by mrsleeve View Post
                Lots of OEM's that have gone to the direct injection are having big issues with carbon deposits on the intake side of things.
                True but that would limit flow not increase it.

I would instantly suspect a/f sensor.

Originally posted by ATLe30 View Post
                has your 135i had the high pressure fuel pump replaced yet?

If the fuel pump was failing it would not be running rich. And even if the pump was over pressurizing the FPR would keep that in check.
                sigpic

Comment

I have a friend that had a 135 that had similar issues. I just tried to put a call into him to find out what ended up happening. I want to say he had to replace his turbo and maybe something with a cracked manifold.
                  Build your own dreams, or someone else will hire you to build theirs!

Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

Comment

Originally posted by Massimo View Post
                    True but that would limit flow not increase it.

True but when you have enough carbon hanging the intakes open slightly, it will run like shit an smell like gas as its not burning well.

I would be leaning towards HP fuel pump, or FPR, or turbo related 1st though
                    Originally posted by Fusion
                    If a car is the epitome of freedom, than an electric car is house arrest with your wife titty fucking your next door neighbor.
                    The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money. -Alexis de Tocqueville

The Desire to Save Humanity is Always a False Front for the Urge to Rule it- H. L. Mencken

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants.
                    William Pitt-

Comment

when i was at Nalley bmw here in ATL there was a 1/3/535i every day with these issues. MOST of the time it was the HPFP.

soon it will start...run like crap for a minute or 2 then stall out.

has your significant other been putting premium in it?

from legit gas stations? not from backroad marathons and whatnot?

our high ethanol over here KILLS those pumps. we had a 135i that had 3 hpfps before it hit 35k

Comment

I'm interested in the codes also.

I has a e90 328xi come in with a bad running issue, replaced plugs/coilpacks, and found out the owner had been running 85octane for the past two years. Two fillups of ethanol free 93 and her issues are gone.

I'm betting you are not anywhere near any of these stations...

Pure-gas.org is the definitive web site listing stations that sell pure gasoline in the U.S. and Canada.

Comment

Originally posted by Vedubin01 View Post
                          I have a friend that had a 135 that had similar issues. I just tried to put a call into him to find out what ended up happening. I want to say he had to replace his turbo and maybe something with a cracked manifold.
                          Thanks for making a phone call on my behalf!

Originally posted by ATLe30 View Post
                          when i was at Nalley bmw here in ATL there was a 1/3/535i every day with these issues. MOST of the time it was the HPFP.

soon it will start...run like crap for a minute or 2 then stall out.

has your significant other been putting premium in it?

from legit gas stations? not from backroad marathons and whatnot?

our high ethanol over here KILLS those pumps. we had a 135i that had 3 hpfps before it hit 35k
                          The high pressure fuel pump has been replaced before.
                          I have been reading a bit and seeing if other people had/have the same problems. I only found one other guys and he only had problems like this during partial throttle before the turbos kicked in at all. Ours happens all the time at any speed and throttle position.
                          I have ready everything from engine sludge to a leaky intake manifold or leaky turbo seals can cause this kind of thing.
                          Usually I am the one who fuels up the car. We only use 91 and I try and only use Chevron. I am not sure if Chevron is any good but I figured sticking to one brand would be better then using a bunch of different fuels.
                          I hope the service adviser calls us tomorrow with updates.
                          sigpic

Comment

Geez and here I was thinking of checking out a used 135. Perhaps not.
                            sigpic

Comment

I work on these things all day every day. the symptoms you are talking about would have nothing to so with the turbos. you have a N54 or N55? I would bet it's the high pressure pump is failing again- if it was done at the begining of the recall timeframe, most of them were crap too. have had a few with bad coils, but alot of bad injectors too. the low pressure fuel sensors go bad too.

without knowing what fault codes it's setting off, it's really hard to say what it is.
                              I've also replaced ALOT of cams with cam trays on those motors too, the ring on the cam wears out the cam tray, and doesn't let the oil pressue build for the vanos to function correctly.

now that I read it again, I bet you have a dying injector.

Comment

Working...
                              X