No announcement yet.

Computer thread!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

+1 on the i5 vs i7. One thing people do not realize is that to really take advantage of the extra power of the i7 over the i5's will require specific models of the chip which are all high voltage units and produce epic shit tons more heat than the lower power units.

Comment

Originally posted by GAbOS View Post
      +1 on the i5 vs i7. One thing people do not realize is that to really take advantage of the extra power of the i7 over the i5's will require specific models of the chip which are all high voltage units and produce epic shit tons more heat than the lower power units.
      Comparing the i5-4690k and the i7-4790k I didn't see that huge of a difference in power consumption?

Originally posted by SpasticDwarf;n6449866
      Honestly I built it just to have a place to sit and listen to Hotline Bling on repeat.

Comment

Computer thread!!!

I wouldn't worry about %20 more power and heat in a desktop, but I would in a laptop. And the %20-%30 boost in performance when the app can utilize it seems like a nice payoff. I guess it just depends if you want to wait and extra two hours to encode that video.

Just google "best cpu for this program" and see what everyone else has already figured out.

Comment

The thing that amazes me is the difference in power consumption between an intel/nvidia build versus an amd/radeon build

Honestly I built it just to have a place to sit and listen to Hotline Bling on repeat.

Comment

which is which? In my budget build I chose the amd/radeon and haven't noticed any cooling issues or extra in the electric bill... lol but I dunno I would or not anyways lol.

I bought a AMD 760K Richland Quad-Core 3.8GHz back in the beginning of 14' and thats a 100w chip.

Comment

more cores for multithreading vs single threading with intel
              2014 Alpine White 335i MSport
              (Daily Driver)
              Full Mperformance Aero

2007 Black Sapphire Metallic E92 335i (6MT)
              KW V2 Coilovers
              VRSF Catless Downpipes

Comment

Computer thread!!!

Power is so cheap you wouldn't see a difference in your bill. Run it hard for a few hours a day and that's only a few kWh a day, and at 15 cents a kWh you'll never notice it.

Comment

Originally posted by Dozyproductions View Post
                  which is which? In my budget build I chose the amd/radeon and haven't noticed any cooling issues or extra in the electric bill... lol but I dunno I would or not anyways lol.

I bought a AMD 760K Richland Quad-Core 3.8GHz back in the beginning of 14' and thats a 100w chip.
                  The Intel build (http://pcpartpicker.com/p/B2WFqs) I made has an estimated wattage of 367W compared to the less powerful AMD build (http://pcpartpicker.com/p/NCrZvK) I made that had an estimated wattage of 429W. It's just interesting.

Originally posted by Navarone View Post
                  Power is so cheap you wouldn't see a difference in your bill. Run it hard for a few hours a day and that's only a few kWh a day, and at 15 cents a kWh you'll never notice it.
                  I would mostly be concerned with the extra power becoming heat.

Comment

Originally posted by nando View Post
                    I got a really cheap 27" display so i can remote in from home. Now my 24" at work seems so small! might buy a second one and use my 24" as the second display. :)
                    When I first got the 27 inch display for work I though it was bordering on too big on my desk.

Once I got used to using it, I couldn't go back, so got the 27 inch iMac for home!

So much more convenient having one big screen vs two smaller ones - I used to use two 20 inch mac cinema displays at work - they now look tiny.

As for the 15 inch macbook... I barely use it now - it's more of an emergency / on the road / presentation computer.
                    My e30: OEM+ with M30B35

Comment

This is why I'll never go back to single monitor.

Baby Einstein for her, with audio routed through standard speakers. BF4 for me, audio through my headset. We don't have cable so the few times she gets to watch anything resembling television she loves it.

I've fallen in love with dual monitors for more than this, actually just discovered this use for it last night.
                      No E30 Club
                      Originally posted by MrBurgundy
                      Anyways, mustangs are gay and mini vans are faster than your car, you just have to deal with that.

Comment

OMG....im doing this!^ duaghter can watch netflix ill play Total war or ESO or something

Comment

Originally posted by Exodus_2pt0 View Post
                          This is why I'll never go back to single monitor.

Baby Einstein for her, with audio routed through standard speakers. BF4 for me, audio through my headset. We don't have cable so the few times she gets to watch anything resembling television she loves it.

I've fallen in love with dual monitors for more than this, actually just discovered this use for it last night.
                          dual/triple monitors seriously change people's lives. Beats alt+tabbing to different applications
                          2014 Alpine White 335i MSport
                          (Daily Driver)
                          Full Mperformance Aero

2007 Black Sapphire Metallic E92 335i (6MT)
                          KW V2 Coilovers
                          VRSF Catless Downpipes

Comment

Each to their own.

I'd rather alt tab between applications or flick between windows with Expose.

I guess this is one of the differences in workflow between Windows & OSX.

My pet hate is losing the mouse on multiple screens :)
                            My e30: OEM+ with M30B35

Comment

atl tabbing or switching applications will never be the same as having true dual screens

Comment

Originally posted by kickinindian View Post
                                atl tabbing or switching applications will never be the same as having true dual screens
                                Yep.

Comment

Working...
                                X