No announcement yet.

Computer thread!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

was not digging the plain jane computer case idea so whipped out the dremel tool and a chisel, some velcro and made this.

need to find something to cover the crappy cut on the PSU fan hole since that was a late addition after my old PSU died. with only 1 120mm fan my GPU never gets above 60c and the cpu/mobo never above 56c

ALSO need a modular PSU! :hitler:

i plan on making a satellite power/reset button, USB audio box for the desk. like this video but without the amps or CD drive.
    Last edited by kickinindian; 04-03-2015, 11:19 PM.

Comment

My new shop computer:

Untitled by ericandshovin, on Flickr
      My E30 v1.0 | v2.0 | v3.0 | My E28 |My E34 | My feedback

Comment

Gonna order parts next week.

CPU: Intel Core i5-4690K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($226.69 @ OutletPC)
        CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($29.75 @ OutletPC)
        Motherboard: ASRock Fatal1ty Z97 Killer ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($95.98 @ Newegg)
        Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1866 Memory ($64.78 @ OutletPC)
        Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($105.99 @ Amazon)
        Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($52.65 @ OutletPC)
        Video Card: Asus GeForce GTX 970 4GB STRIX Video Card ($329.99 @ SuperBiiz)
        Case: Corsair Graphite Series 230T Black ATX Mid Tower Case ($69.99 @ NCIX US)
        Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA NEX 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($64.99 @ NCIX US)
        Total: $1040.81

Originally posted by SpasticDwarf;n6449866
        Honestly I built it just to have a place to sit and listen to Hotline Bling on repeat.

Comment

damn i really need to get a second monitor....

Comment

Originally posted by kickinindian View Post
            Same... The GTX970 is gonna be super overkill for a single 1080p monitor. But I'm building in anticipation of going either dual 2160x1440 or an ultra wide.

Honestly I built it just to have a place to sit and listen to Hotline Bling on repeat.

Comment

was not digging the plain jane computer case idea so whipped out the dremel tool and a chisel, some velcro and made this.

need to find something to cover the crappy cut on the PSU fan hole since that was a late addition after my old PSU died. with only 1 120mm fan my GPU never gets above 60c and the cpu/mobo never above 56c

ALSO need a modular PSU! :hitler:

i plan on making a satellite power/reset button, USB audio box for the desk. like this video but without the amps or CD drive.

Are you monitoring temps? Wood is a pretty efficient insulator, I would be concerned.... Looks cool though.
              No E30 Club
              Originally posted by MrBurgundy
              Anyways, mustangs are gay and mini vans are faster than your car, you just have to deal with that.

Comment

Just get one really big one. I prefer it to multiples... I hate bezels breaking up my screen area.

Now if you are using it for productivity then multiple monitors is a great idea.

I've seen that guys build before with the wood PC and remote box. He has since built himself a rather nice aluminum PC case that I prefer to the wooden one. Check out his channel.
                "A good memory for quotes combined with a poor memory for attribution can lead to a false sense of originality."
                -----------------------------------------
                91 318is Turbo Sold
                87 325 Daily driver Sold
                06 4.8is X5
                06 Mtec X3
                05 4.4i X5 Sold
                92 325ic Sold & Re-purchased
                90 325i Sold
                97 328is Sold
                01 323ci Sold
                92 325i Sold
                83 528e Totaled
                98 328i Sold
                93 325i Sold

Comment

Originally posted by Exodus_2pt0 View Post
                  Are you monitoring temps? Wood is a pretty efficient insulator, I would be concerned.... Looks cool though.
                  i am i have the widget on win 7 for core temp and gpu temp and the idle temps went up an avg. of about 5c but having alot smaller space inside with the large fan when i benchmark it it actually stays 10c cooler on the cpu side and the strix 960 i have wont ever go above 60c due to their sweet cooler setup.

Originally posted by Schnitzer318is View Post
                  Just get one really big one. I prefer it to multiples... I hate bezels breaking up my screen area.

Now if you are using it for productivity then multiple monitors is a great idea.

I've seen that guys build before with the wood PC and remote box. He has since built himself a rather nice aluminum PC case that I prefer to the wooden one. Check out his channel.
                  i would use the multiple monitors for Photoshop having tools on a seperate screen is hard to go without after having it! also monitoring temps and having a browser open when your full screen in something, plus gaming/baby sitting like above.

i did see the aluminum one but i love not using metal, making cool stuff with wood goes with the asthetics of my house better
                  picture from my desk window
                  Last edited by kickinindian; 04-04-2015, 11:27 AM.

Comment

Very nice view. If you prefer wood, then rock it. I've seen some really nice wood PC builds. With the right air flow they are no more prone to overheat than traditional cases. Old PC cases had such crappy venting compared to newer ones so as long as no hard core overclocking is taking place... you should be good.

Hell, look at my setup a page or 2 back. I have 2 computers INSIDE a wooden file cabinet and never have issues...
                    "A good memory for quotes combined with a poor memory for attribution can lead to a false sense of originality."
                    -----------------------------------------
                    91 318is Turbo Sold
                    87 325 Daily driver Sold
                    06 4.8is X5
                    06 Mtec X3
                    05 4.4i X5 Sold
                    92 325ic Sold & Re-purchased
                    90 325i Sold
                    97 328is Sold
                    01 323ci Sold
                    92 325i Sold
                    83 528e Totaled
                    98 328i Sold
                    93 325i Sold

Comment

Bumping this thread up ... thinking we should have a computer part swap / sell area in the for sale threads seeing as folks are serious about building computers.

Thoughts? Example I have an i7 processor unopened that I would love to sell, yet I feel it will just get buried in the other items for sale threads. It would probably be more if interest to those who like that sort of thing.
                      Parts Collector and Former Houndstooth interior junkie.

Comment

Originally posted by Gerta View Post
                        Bumping this thread up ... thinking we should have a computer part swap / sell area in the for sale threads seeing as folks are serious about building computers.

Thoughts? Example I have an i7 processor unopened that I would love to sell, yet I feel it will just get buried in the other items for sale threads. It would probably be more if interest to those who like that sort of thing.
                        If it's a 4790k I might be interested

Comment

Nope. Sorry Lambo. it's a i7-3770k LGA1555. 3.5ghz 77w Quad Core.

Comment

FYI I run a similar model in my home server and it runs fine even with heavy virtualization

Comment

My setup, 1tb. 125SSD, 2x gtx760 4gb, 16gb ram, i5, 750watt

Used to be crazy about gaming and built it with a friend, spent ~$1700 on everything probably a year back. Thats including a mic, mouse, mousepad, monitor, keyboard, cd drive etc. It's a beast!! I can't find a game it won't run on max settings
                              BMW tech
                              Umass Amherst
                              05 wrx sti

Comment

Well looks like everyone smart will be switching to AMD, Nvidia is going down the dark road with their practices now.

Its not a sham either, my 1 year old GTX 770 SC is super slow in pcars, but more then sufficient in other games. Meanwhile benchmarks show a $200 GTX 960 outperforming 780TI's and Titans....
                                1989 BMW 325is | 2019 Ford Ranger FX4
                                willschnitz

Comment

Working...
                                X