Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by lambo View Post
    He's a noob. I bet he meant to post in the student thread. Fuckin' 2012's
    Maybe he cant put his desktop together right, cant count the number of ram sticks to install.
    1989 BMW 325is | 2019 Ford Ranger FX4
    willschnitz

Comment

He's a noob. I bet he meant to post in the student thread. Fuckin' 2012's

I'm new here. Just looking for the fs section.

Thx,

Mike
      Last edited by ST1G; 06-09-2015, 08:53 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Jb325is View Post
        I have a question regarding video cards. I am building a desktop that will be used for Solidworks and assetto corsa/iracing. I was planning on not getting a workstation video card, and going wth a gtx970 instead. Am I correct in assuming a "gaming" graphics card will run solidworks better than I workstation card will run assetto corsa?
        What are you doing primary if assetto corsa is just a side thing I would go workstation card. But if you are 50-50 then gtx 970 will do
        sigpic

Comment

Well I dont know, I guess it really depends how much solidworks your doing. Because the price is usually pretty extreme, thats why a lot of "developers" use those crazy 4x Titan (enterletterhere) builds, even though they are insane to use, 4x titans are cheaper then 2x quadros.
          willschnitz

Comment

So the R9 390 is on my radar now

Originally posted by SpasticDwarf;n6449866
            Honestly I built it just to have a place to sit and listen to Hotline Bling on repeat.

Comment

Anyone want to buy a Corsair Sabre?

Honestly I built it just to have a place to sit and listen to Hotline Bling on repeat.

Comment

Just picked up a SteelSeries Rival. Way more comfortable for my big hands than the the Corsair Sabre...

Comment

So the R9 390 is on my radar now
                  Meh.. It's currently just an overclocked 290 (Hawaii core) with double the ram for a lot more than a 290. If 8gb memory is what you are looking for (which is pretty useless for gaming really), then there are offerings of the 290 with 8gb.

I would wait for the next generation of chip (Fiji) family to drop first.

Comment

Originally posted by GAbOS View Post
                    Meh.. It's currently just an overclocked 290 (Hawaii core) with double the ram for a lot more than a 290. If 8gb memory is what you are looking for (which is pretty useless for gaming really), then there are offerings of the 290 with 8gb.

I would wait for the next generation of chip (Fiji) family to drop first.
                    Yeah looking at some of the recent benchmarks, it seems the 970 is still the way to go for me. I only plan on using a 1080p 60hz monitor so it should be pretty overkill.

Comment

Id wait dude, don't do what I did and buy a GPU right before the new chips come out, stack-able memory is already here with AMD's higher end cards, its only a matter of time before Pascal is out for Nvidia, and if it doesn't come out or Nvidia continues the shady game-works stuff you can always pick up a 980 or a Fury for a decent price in a few months.
                      willschnitz

Comment

The 290 is still a great buy right now if you want to keep your AMD/ATi status. I don't plan on doing 4k and the 290 is knocking it out of the park right now. I'm staged to purchase another on next build and cross fire it. Though, it does eat an epic ton of wattage just as teh nvidia cards do.

Comment

Yeah my 770 is starting to age way to fast.
                          willschnitz

Comment

Originally posted by Wschnitz View Post
                            Yeah my 770 is starting to age way to fast.
                            Seriously? I just want something that can push 1080p at high settings for the next 1.5 to 2 years. After that I can build a whole new system. Really don't want to wait another few months. From what I've read skylake won't do much for performance gaming-wise, just power consumption. Video cards will get better, duh. But as long as a 970 can comfortably push 1080 for that time frame, which I am sure it can, I'm just going to go for that.

Comment

Seriously? I just want something that can push 1080p at high settings for the next 1.5 to 2 years. After that I can build a whole new system. Really don't want to wait another few months. From what I've read skylake won't do much for performance gaming-wise, just power consumption. Video cards will get better, duh. But as long as a 970 can comfortably push 1080 for that time frame, which I am sure it can, I'm just going to go for that.
                              970 should be fine for 1080 on even a good gaming monitor (120hz+).

I just stepped up to a 960 from a 560ti and the gaming is great @ 1080p 60hz. Granted I am using 1080p LED TV's as monitors... the 970 should suit you just fine. Even my 560ti suited MOST of my needs... but was long overdue for an upgrade and my poor wife really needed an upgrade from her 550ti so we pulled the trigger.
                              "A good memory for quotes combined with a poor memory for attribution can lead to a false sense of originality."
                              -----------------------------------------
                              91 318is Turbo Sold
                              87 325 Daily driver Sold
                              06 4.8is X5
                              06 Mtec X3
                              05 4.4i X5 Sold
                              92 325ic Sold & Re-purchased
                              90 325i Sold
                              97 328is Sold
                              01 323ci Sold
                              92 325i Sold
                              83 528e Totaled
                              98 328i Sold
                              93 325i Sold

Comment

BF4 on Highest settings here, 90fps on a standard 1080p monitor, with a 970.

I'm sure it will do fine for another 2 years.
                                No E30 Club
                                Originally posted by MrBurgundy
                                Anyways, mustangs are gay and mini vans are faster than your car, you just have to deal with that.

Comment

Working...
                                X