Online Dating: A Whole New World.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Online Dating: A Whole New World.

Cliffs - Who has tried online dating? How did it go? Are you killing it? Did your ego get checked? Are you married to the chick now?

In the past 10 years I have experienced significant changes in the way girls react to getting in touch with them. I’m not talking Men are from Mars, I’m literally referring to communicating outside of person-to-person conversation.

When I was in high school, calling a girl at her house was normal. Setting plans a few days in advance was normal. Soon enough, cell phones were the main form of communication between people. Calling the house, was still ok, and making plans with less notice moved to the norm. Shortly after calling someone was popular, texting took precedent as a primary form of communication. Looking back, it seems silly, because lobbing out a text back then wasn’t as easy as it is today. “Hey!” was literally 10 taps of the thumb: 2-H 2-E 3-Y 1+1+1…until you found “!”. Don’t even think about auto-spell, or missing the explanation point – you had to click through the roll call again. Yet people loved texting.

In between the development of the smart phone, facebook experienced a crazy amount of organic growth. Within a few years, if you weren’t in the know on FB for some sort of social event, you weren’t going to call some one’s house to figure out what was going on – because calling a house was no longer appropriate and you’d be the lesser for it.

It all hit me a short time ago. “It” being the new world I live in. I was at a bar, talking to a good looking girl, she was into it we were having fun laughing etc. I literally talked to her for a couple of hours. The foundation and framework of a legit interest were being laid out; dudes were trying to hit on her, she wasn’t having it. I was buying her drinks, she was buying me drinks, we were mixing and mingling with each other’s friends – all was well. Considering how the night was playing out, I figured it was cool to ask for her number before we parted ways. In my experience, most girls would probably be aggravated if you didn’t grab their number after such an engagement. However, when I asked for it, she hesitated and downgraded me to “look me up on facebook”. I didn’t get it. I thought it was a brush off. I didn’t realize facebook was the new “let me get your number”.

Coming out of a 5 year relationship, it was a good slap in the face to prepare me for the new world ahead. I still don’t entirely get it, but that’s ok, I don’t need to. I just have to accept it. Social media is apparently a safe zone and it has become the normal way we communicate with each other. LinkedIn for your professional life, FB for your social life, forums for your hobbies…twitter… pintrest… blogs and what this thread is about: Match.com for your single dating life.

It took me a while to summon a reason to join Match.com. I eventually realized it was the new FB for hitting on women. Poking is now called Winking, and since it is a dating website, all intentions for communication are obvious. However, what I have come to realize, in my short time of using it thus far, is that it trying to meet people online and then in person doesn’t translate as well as meeting someone in person and then viewing their life online. I feel Match.com is an entirely different ball game than other social media for this reason. It has certainly afforded me some entertaining stories. I’ll be happy to explain, but I’ll stop here – who the heck write this much in OT anyways?

So who has tried online dating? How did it go? Are you killing it? Did your ego get checked? Are you married to the chick now?

okcupid.com its free and people will reply in they are interested.

Comment

Cliff notes please. After the first paragraph it's all rambling to me.

NEW ERA AUTO GLASS - SFV SOCAL - 818 974-3673
      DREWLIENTE

1$ PShops PM me

Comment

met a really cute girl from one and i was just looking for a fuck buddy but i really like her actually

e24 e9 e30
        IG: peterkaczynski

Comment

Originally posted by xxx-Lost-Soul-xxx View Post
          okcupid.com its free and people will reply in they are interested.
          Interesting. I heard about plenty of fish too. I'll have to check it out.

Originally posted by E30_Pare View Post
          Cliff notes please. After the first paragraph it's all rambling to me.
          Cliffs are the first sentence.

Originally posted by teh_activ View Post
          met a really cute girl from one and i was just looking for a fuck buddy but i really like her actually
          awwww haha, Nice.

Comment

I totally agree with you. I know what your talking about, it's frustrating. I deleted Facebook, I'm done. If a girl likes me she'll make an effort too or else she's not worth it. It does mean however I have to put forth 10x the effort then in the old days.
            disregard women, acquire currency.

Comment

Meet some guy who wanted to practice massage in his basement on people for free seemed legit and all.
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by teh_activ View Post
                Thats sooo totally cute.

Comment

I started online dating when I moved to DC back in '07. The first year I did it I was on Match.com and ended up hooking up with a lot of girls. I did find 1 girl that I ended up dating for a few months.

The biggest issue I've run into is that in my career (opera) it's difficult to maintain a relationship when I'm generally out of town 8-10 months out of the year. Pretty obvious.

I just started back up on it this year since I'm taking the year off from performing to work on new repertoire. I'm on Okcupid right now and have had a few dates. I really like that Match.com started their new social outings so I'm considering signing up for some of those.

I pretty much leave facebook out of it, if someone isn't willing to give me their phone number then they aren't worth my time.

Essentially, Okcupid is for hookups. Match.com is for dating and short term relationships and Eharmony is for serious relationships.

Overall I've had some great experiences but I've also had some of the worst dates in my life with girls I've met online. I also know a number of friends who met their wives and long term girlfriends online.
                  stephenbrody.com

Comment

i actually just signed up for one.... curious to try it out
                    Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

Trust me it stock :yawn:

Comment

Originally posted by Massimo View Post
                      Meet some guy who wanted to practice massage in his basement on people for free seemed legit and all.
                      I lost it.

I can't see paying to have random people contact you.

Just go to a bar and get toasted. You'll meet someone then.
                      1974.5 Jensen Healey : 2003 330i/5

Comment

Originally posted by achtung911 View Post
                        I totally agree with you. I know what your talking about, it's frustrating. I deleted Facebook, I'm done. If a girl likes me she'll make an effort too or else she's not worth it. It does mean however I have to put forth 10x the effort then in the old days.
                        I haven't deleted facebook yet, I have certainly thought about it. Though, I have scored some dates from it.

Originally posted by Massimo View Post
                        Haha. I almost put him in the OP.

[QUOTE=TexasTerp;3397093]I started online dating when I moved to DC back in '07. The first year I did it I was on Match.com and ended up hooking up with a lot of girls. I did find 1 girl that I ended up dating for a few months...[./QUOTE]

I can't imagine having "I'm an opera singer" in my back pocket. haha

The time to dedicate to dating seems to be the main reason why people say they are on a dating website. I too, have friends who have met their wife's from an online source. So far, for me, it's not looking like that.

Originally posted by knuklehead92 View Post
                        i actually just signed up for one.... curious to try it out
                        Nice. I think less is more in the profile.

Originally posted by slammin.e28guy View Post
                        I lost it.

I can't see paying to have random people contact you.

Just go to a bar and get toasted. You'll meet someone then.
                        I think most people still do that, the online aspect is supplemental. It does work for you while you're not at the bar.

Comment

Originally posted by PeteD View Post
                          I think most people still do that, the online aspect is supplemental. It does work for you while you're not at the bar.
                          What single guy is not at the bar?
                          1974.5 Jensen Healey : 2003 330i/5

Comment

Considering I don't drink, I don't.
                            1985 M10b18. 70maybewhpoffury. Over engineered S50b30 murica BBQ swap in progress.

Originally posted by DEV0 E30
                            You'd chugg this butt. I know you would. Ain't gotta' lie to kick it brostantinople.

Comment

When he is at work. That is what I am trying to say. It just opens up your face time, allowing you essentially do two things at once.

Comment

Working...
                              X