Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Do it. You will not regret it one bit.

Comment

Just bought one. so stoaked. 09 klx250s $1690 rebuilt title.

Should have some action pics for you this summer ;)

Comment

Originally posted by jaywood View Post
        I made your caliper ;)

You like the kenda big blocks? We sell them at work think ima grab a set.

Comment

EDIT: Posted and saw how F'ing long this post is. Cliff's notes: I'm a beginner. From what I gather, a SM bike would be a decent bike to learn with. I'd like something powerful enough that I won't get bored of it quickly, durable enough to take a little bit of abuse (I'm sure I'll lay it town on one or more occasions), and something that will be reliable and not extremely high maintenance. Don't want/need a brand new bike. And from what I gather, a bike that is already converted or a factory SM bike would be the most cost effective way to go. What would you recommend?

/Cliff's

I am looking to pick up a bike this summer. I had a '94 CR250 back in college for a year or so, but I didn't really ride it very much. I bought it for basically nothing with a blown engine, rebuilt the engine with a friend of mine and sold it. I only owned it in running form for 6 months or so. So although I've ridden before, I still consider myself a beginner (and I've never legally ridden a two-wheeled vehicle on the street).

I'd be using the bike 90% of the time to commute to work. I live just under 5 miles away with no freeway in between, so it is an easy in-town commute. I would also like to be able to take it on trails and logging roads without too much hassle. Once I get more experience and am comfortable on the bike, I'd go for some more "spirited" riding.

I was thinking that I would buy a dual sport bike. But reading through this thread and talking to a friend of mine has made me thing that a supermoto would be better. Everyone I've talked to says that they are the most fun bike -- friend said that if he was only allowed to have one bike, he'd sell all except for his Husky SM. One thing is for sure -- I like the idea of a light, durable and fun motorcycle.

I'll just go ahead and say that I am pretty green when it comes to knowledge about bikes. I definitely like to know what I'm talking about when discussing things, but I'll just admit that I don't know much at all. I'm not even 100% sure what qualifies a bike as a supermoto. I've done some quick reading and I see that SM's have 17" wheels and street tires. Everyone mostly says that they have "different suspension and gearing" but I haven't seen anyone go in to much detail as what exactly is different about the suspension vs. a moto-x or dual sport bike. I assume taller gearing and not quite as soft of a suspension as a motox bike?

Being a beginner, I definitely don't think I need a ton of power. But I'd also like to buy a bike that I won't get bored of after I get comfortable on it. So would you guys think that a 250CC is a little underpowered (I'm 6'1" and 200-210 lbs BTW)? The DRZ400SM seems like a good choice from what I've read here and from a little bit of searching the interwebs.

Basically, I want a bike that will be good for a beginner and have the capable to keep me interested once I get more skilled at riding. I'd like something that is tough as I'm sure I'll lay it down once or twice. While I am very mechanically inclined and actually would enjoy working on my bike (I feel that the best way to get intimate knowledge about something mechanical is to take it apart and put it back together), I'd still definitely lean towards something with a good track record for reliability and relatively low maintenance requirements. I read through this thread a while back so I don't remember a ton, but one of the things I gathered is that Husky's would require more maintenance than the DRZ.

Cost is a factor as well. I'm paying cash for a boat this week, so my "fun/toy" money is definitely limited. I realize you get what you pay for, so I'm basically looking for best fit for my situation as well as the best value -- definitely won't be buying a brand new bike.

So I'll defer to the "experts" for a little guidance... what would you guys recommend as my first bike?

Comment

Originally posted by motomaster99 View Post
            Just bought one. so stoaked. 09 klx250s $1690 rebuilt title.

Should have some action pics for you this summer ;)
            My wife rides one of those, good fun just a bit underpowered when my 230lb ass is on it.

Comment

Originally posted by TwoJ's View Post
              EDIT: Posted and saw how F'ing long this post is. Cliff's notes: I'm a beginner. From what I gather, a SM bike would be a decent bike to learn with. I'd like something powerful enough that I won't get bored of it quickly, durable enough to take a little bit of abuse (I'm sure I'll lay it town on one or more occasions), and something that will be reliable and not extremely high maintenance. Don't want/need a brand new bike. And from what I gather, a bike that is already converted or a factory SM bike would be the most cost effective way to go. What would you recommend?

/Cliff's

I am looking to pick up a bike this summer. I had a '94 CR250 back in college for a year or so, but I didn't really ride it very much. I bought it for basically nothing with a blown engine, rebuilt the engine with a friend of mine and sold it. I only owned it in running form for 6 months or so. So although I've ridden before, I still consider myself a beginner (and I've never legally ridden a two-wheeled vehicle on the street).

I'd be using the bike 90% of the time to commute to work. I live just under 5 miles away with no freeway in between, so it is an easy in-town commute. I would also like to be able to take it on trails and logging roads without too much hassle. Once I get more experience and am comfortable on the bike, I'd go for some more "spirited" riding.

I was thinking that I would buy a dual sport bike. But reading through this thread and talking to a friend of mine has made me thing that a supermoto would be better. Everyone I've talked to says that they are the most fun bike -- friend said that if he was only allowed to have one bike, he'd sell all except for his Husky SM. One thing is for sure -- I like the idea of a light, durable and fun motorcycle.

I'll just go ahead and say that I am pretty green when it comes to knowledge about bikes. I definitely like to know what I'm talking about when discussing things, but I'll just admit that I don't know much at all. I'm not even 100% sure what qualifies a bike as a supermoto. I've done some quick reading and I see that SM's have 17" wheels and street tires. Everyone mostly says that they have "different suspension and gearing" but I haven't seen anyone go in to much detail as what exactly is different about the suspension vs. a moto-x or dual sport bike. I assume taller gearing and not quite as soft of a suspension as a motox bike?

Being a beginner, I definitely don't think I need a ton of power. But I'd also like to buy a bike that I won't get bored of after I get comfortable on it. So would you guys think that a 250CC is a little underpowered (I'm 6'1" and 200-210 lbs BTW)? The DRZ400SM seems like a good choice from what I've read here and from a little bit of searching the interwebs.

Basically, I want a bike that will be good for a beginner and have the capable to keep me interested once I get more skilled at riding. I'd like something that is tough as I'm sure I'll lay it down once or twice. While I am very mechanically inclined and actually would enjoy working on my bike (I feel that the best way to get intimate knowledge about something mechanical is to take it apart and put it back together), I'd still definitely lean towards something with a good track record for reliability and relatively low maintenance requirements. I read through this thread a while back so I don't remember a ton, but one of the things I gathered is that Husky's would require more maintenance than the DRZ.

Cost is a factor as well. I'm paying cash for a boat this week, so my "fun/toy" money is definitely limited. I realize you get what you pay for, so I'm basically looking for best fit for my situation as well as the best value -- definitely won't be buying a brand new bike.

So I'll defer to the "experts" for a little guidance... what would you guys recommend as my first bike?
              DRZ400sm, it's not the best at anything except for taking a beating and being able to sell it for what ya paid for it two years from now when you think you might want something a little more cutting edge ( and in reality, you won't be that much faster than a guy on a well ridden DRZ).

Comment

I made your caliper ;)

Thanks, it works great!! :p

They aren't the big blocks...I'm running Distanzias. I do like them. I don't really know how much they work on the dirt however. If I give it any throttle I'm spinning tire.

Comment

Originally posted by TwoJ's View Post

/Cliff's

DRZ400. You really cannot go wrong with that bike.

Comment

I made your caliper ;)

Dude. You have a PM! Haha
                    Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

Comment

Originally posted by jaywood View Post
                      drz400. You really cannot go wrong with that bike.
                      +1
                      Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

Comment

Fuck me I need to buy one of these...

Originally posted by SpasticDwarf;n6449866
                        Honestly I built it just to have a place to sit and listen to Hotline Bling on repeat.

Comment

Ugh
                          I want one

mtech1/2jzgte/r154/275tire
                          function>form

Comment

Originally posted by lambo View Post
                            Fuck me I need to buy one of these...
                            Originally posted by dmoney(AB) View Post
                            Ugh
                            I want one
                            :up:

Comment

Do it dudes! Won't regret it.

Comment

I made your caliper ;)

So what you're really saying is that you're our sumo hookup? That's perfect because i need a new set of treads and a chain/sprocket before spring lol.

Comment

Working...
                                X