Why do American Cars Suck So Bad?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why do American Cars Suck So Bad?

Over time I've noticed a tendency for American cars to be infested with cheap, flimsy plastic and handle like absolute turds. Fit and finish is notably absent, and reliability seems substandard.
    I also find most of the designs pretty tasteless, but this is probably just my own problem.

I have driven more American cars than I can count, it is part of my job, so please don't try to attribute my opinion to a lack of experience

I find it hard to agree with my tax dollars being used to bail these car companies out, while imports are taxed (so these shitboxes can compete) leading to me having to pay a premium for my BMW or other quality automobile. There's a reason why nobody will drive an impala in Germany..

I have always attributed this to whiny union workers and extreme cost cutting as a consequence, but is there anything else I was missing? I really can't seem to figure this out...

1988 BMW 325 - S50B30US
    Instagram "Build Thread" - http://instagram.com/jfchiu

Fords seem to be looking nicer by the day.

Comment

Because pushrods.

Bailing out a company that is too shitty to survive on it's own should be infuriating to the average taxpayer.

Comment

Because they're not made in China.

Unions go up, cost goes up, so quality goes down to keep costs down.

Not saying unions are a bad thing, but in the 1890s they weren't.
        1974.5 Jensen Healey : 2003 330i/5

Comment

Unions - Allowing people to make more so they can work less.......

It's only fair....right?
          sigpic

Rebellion Forge Custom Fabrication

1988 325is - TrackRat in progress

Instagram @rebellionforge

Comment

Originally posted by evandael View Post
            Fords seem to be looking nicer by the day.
            I agree, I put a 1000 miles on a Focus rental car last summer, I would definitely consider the hatchback for a daily driver. Interior quality is excellent, much nicer than any of the japanese cars or the current crop of VWs.

Comment

We've been through the union discussion before with the Hostess thread... Sometimes they're helpful, sometimes not.

Comment

The car companies make what the consumers want. Most people in the US treat cars as appliances, thus the attitude ford has taken.
                1986 Plymouth Horizon. Base.

Comment

Originally posted by InuFaye View Post
                  The car companies make what the consumers want. Most people in the US treat cars as appliances, thus the attitude ford has taken.
                  This. The current cars are shitty, because no one seems to care about driving a shitty car. The consumer will get what they ask for.

Comment

True story.

American cars in the late 80s and 90s were especially bad. I used to work at a body shop and did work on these American cars, and I was continuously astounded and disgusted by the terrible design and excessive use of space and weight at the cost of efficiency in every way.

Even the way trim and lights were attached to the car, just utterly flimsy and un-robust.

That said, Corvettes are an exception for me, I can deal with a little cheesyness with trim and interior because of the good general idea behind Corvette design. Standard base model cars, however, like Tauruses, Crown Vics, Cavaliers, etc, are all utter crap, and hilariously ugly.

EDIT: It seems newer American cars are getting good (but not any better looking), but I don't have a lot of experience with those.

Comment

Also! Safety/economy shit.

Cars have to have all this baggage on them now, so to keep costs down (and lets face it, 42 air bags and all the emissions stuff is crazy $$) the quality suffers.

Who cares how it handles, runs, drives, fits together as long as it makes XXX emissions and gets an XXX crash test rating.
                      1974.5 Jensen Healey : 2003 330i/5

Comment

If you guys are going to turn this into a Union bash or love fest thread. I'll tow it off to P&R.

But if i listened to most people on here about American car this American car that, i wouldn't own one. But i keep going back to them! And see that those people really are opinionated. And can't see past their blindness on matters. I know this is a site dedicated to a foreign car and with that you'll get people who won't look past their love for foreign cars. And personally being around mostly domestic guys, i can hear the same argument coming from them about how shitty foreign cars are.

1992 BMW 325iC
                        1978 Chevrolet Monte Carlo
                        1965 Chevrolet Corvair Monza 140hp

Comment

Originally posted by JasonC View Post
                          If you guys are going to turn this into a Union bash or love fest thread. I'll tow it off to P&R.

But if i listened to most people on here about American car this American car that, i wouldn't own one. But i keep going back to them! And see that those people really are opinionated. And can't see past their blindness on matters. I know this is a site dedicated to a foreign car and with that you'll get people who won't look past their love for foreign cars.
                          I have no intention of talking about unions.

As far as American cars sucking, I want to further clarify my agreement to this statement as applicable to standard consumer "appliance" cars from the 80s and 90s, with a few exceptions.

American cars that don't suck are cars up to (and some through) the 80s, Corvettes, higher end muscle cars throughout time, and modern "new" cars.

I will always bash on 80s-90s american appliance cars, they are terrible, hands down. But one day I will own a Malibu G-body coupe. And maybe a Corvette.

Comment

Originally posted by JasonC View Post

But if i listened to most people on here about American car this American car that, i wouldn't own one. But i keep going back to them! And see that those people really are opinionated. And can't see past their blindness on matters. I know this is a site dedicated to a foreign car and with that you'll get people who won't look past their love for foreign cars. And personally being around mostly domestic guys, i can hear the same argument coming from them about how shitty foreign cars are.
                            Apologies....slightly off track.

Like some have said, the majority of Americans treat cars like appliances, or throw away items. I know this first hand, I have many friends that have no clue why or when to change oil, or general maintenance. They just drive and drive until it breaks, if its bad enough they get a different one.

That being said, I absolutely love my jeep, it is bullet proof, but I maintain it as well. Vette's are awesome, a very good buddy of mine buys a new one every year, super impressed. Some stuff, especially new stuff is just crap....Saturn....don't get me started.
                            sigpic

Rebellion Forge Custom Fabrication

1988 325is - TrackRat in progress

Instagram @rebellionforge

Comment

I dunno man. If this were 1998, I would say you're dead on. I think Chrysler has the worst portfolio of passenger cars, while GM and Ford aren't that bad at all. I would genuinely consider getting a Focus if I were looking in the 20K hatch segment.

What car isn't an appliance in the 20K range? Keep in mind an F30 is around 40K with some options.

Originally posted by whysimon
                              WTF is hello Kitty (I'm 28 with no kids and I don't have cable)

Comment

Working...
                              X