No announcement yet.

Acceptable and Unacceptable Harbor Freight Tools

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I heeded the recommendation of the ball joint separator mentioned earlier and it worked very nicely for both CAs and Tie Rods. I didn't have a problem tightening the screw until it popped out, but that made it impossible to tell when it will happen and the loud pop startled me every time.... 

Comment

I started a thread like this on another forum. Theres 20 pages of reviews there incase anyone wants to look through it.

I ALWAYS look up reviews of any HF tool before I buy it. Some of their stuff is awesome, some of it is total shit.

1991 335is in progress

Comment

Be Careful:

First time I used it, it worked great. The second time, a 1in section of the lower clamp part broke off. Sounded like a shot gun blast. I was lucky the chunk didn't hit me anywhere.

Comment

Locking ratchet extensions are iffy. The socket locking gizmo shits the bed and renders the extension unable to jam a socket on the extension. 3/8 and 1/2 species both crap out this way. Also the HF Strut Spring Compressor should have a Disclaimer in Bold Lettering Stateing. "If you use this impliment of bodily maiming you should never have children. There are enough dumbass's walking the Earth at present."
          Last edited by Eddie Haskell; 02-28-2013, 05:13 AM.

Comment

Anyone have experience with the AC gauges?

HF A/C Manifold Gauge Set

Got good reviews, but anyone with personal experience?
            1974.5 Jensen Healey : 2003 330i/5

Comment

Originally posted by slammin.e28guy View Post
              Anyone have experience with the AC gauges?

HF A/C Manifold Gauge Set

Got good reviews, but anyone with personal experience?
              I bought that once and returned it later, I remember something about the barb that's supposed to pierce the r-134a can wasn't long/sharp enough to puncture the can.

But for that I'd go to a local pawn shop and see what they have, there's always 3-4 manifold sets here.

Comment

Originally posted by brianao34 View Post
                I bought that once and returned it later, I remember something about the barb that's supposed to pierce the r-134a can wasn't long/sharp enough to puncture the can.

But for that I'd go to a local pawn shop and see what they have, there's always 3-4 manifold sets here.
                Word, I'll have a look. Also checked Amazon and they have some cheaper with good reviews.

How about any of the vacuum pumps on HF? I'm looking to get into this shit for my fleet. Shit gets 'spensive with 5 cars running around.

Comment

Originally posted by slammin.e28guy View Post
                  Word, I'll have a look. Also checked Amazon and they have some cheaper with good reviews.

How about any of the vacuum pumps on HF? I'm looking to get into this shit for my fleet. Shit gets 'spensive with 5 cars running around.
                  I would just get this:
                  Amazing deals on this Air Vacuum Pump W/ R134A And R12 Connectors at Harbor Freight. Quality tools & low prices.

It's cheap, there are no moving parts, and it works great as long as you have a decent air compressor.

Comment

Word. Was eyeballing exactly that.

Comment

Originally posted by AnimalE30 View Post
                      Be Careful:

First time I used it, it worked great. The second time, a 1in section of the lower clamp part broke off. Sounded like a shot gun blast. I was lucky the chunk didn't hit me anywhere.
                      It's always worked for me to tighten it to the point where it starts to get sketchy and then bang on the joint with a ball peen hammer to get the taper to break loose. Much safer than tightening the tool an insane amount and hoping the joint breaks loose before the tool.

I've actually seen where people just use two hammers and smack two opposite sides of the tapered joint at the same time and it break loose.

Impact>>Steady Force

Comment

Be Careful:
                        I've used mine a million times and it works fine.
                        Originally posted by LJ851
                        I programmed my oven to turn off when my pizza was done, should i start a build thread?

Feedback

Comment

This is both GOOD and BAD. It works alright if you live in an area with low humidity and being that I live in Georgia, I can use it alot in the winter but hardly ever in the summer. It will take off paint to bare metal but the small pickup tube clogs up with the soda media when it gets a little bit of moisture. Also, the fill mouth is complete shit, its a little smaller than the opening on a water bottle and it seems like it takes all damn day to fill it up only to blow through it in 20 minutes. If your looking for a soda blaster, save a little extra and buy an Eastwood blaster. Sooooo much nicer.

http://halden-fabricius.tumblr.com/

Comment

Originally posted by NitroRustlerDriver View Post
                            This little guy is great. Super thin for a ratchet and multipurpose with both 3/8" and 1/4" drive.
                            I have been eyeing that at HF for a long time now. The long version of that wrench is like $30 though, but it has all the features I need: Length for torque, extremely low profile (which is super important sometimes), swiveling heads, and both 1/4 and 3/8 drives so I don't have to keep switching wrenches. heck, I would just keep a 10mm socket on the 1/4 side at all times.

Originally posted by NitroRustlerDriver View Post
                            BAD:
                            DO NOT buy this piece of crap. Absolute garbage.
                            uh-oh. I bought one of these and haven't used it yet. What exactly failed on yours?

Comment

Be Careful:

there is a reason I have a couple of variants of this but made by O.T.C. seems you may have found it
                              Originally posted by Fusion
                              If a car is the epitome of freedom, than an electric car is house arrest with your wife titty fucking your next door neighbor.
                              The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money. -Alexis de Tocqueville

The Desire to Save Humanity is Always a False Front for the Urge to Rule it- H. L. Mencken

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants.
                              William Pitt-

Comment

Originally posted by iamcreepingdeath View Post
                                uh-oh. I bought one of these and haven't used it yet. What exactly failed on yours?
                                It is just very flimsy and not well made. Any amount of weight on it makes it almost impossible to crank because it flexes and binds. Spend a little extra on the other one I posted. Well worth it.

Comment

Working...
                                X