So I went to inspect a daily driver today...

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Stanley Rockafella
    replied
    Van BC

    Leave a comment:


  • QUKBMER
    replied
    Where do you live at? I had my wife run a KSR through the system at manheim auto auction (she is a title clerk there)and nothing is in there system as far as california is concerned.

    Leave a comment:


  • SmokeE30
    replied
    Idk guy sounds sketchy but I wouldn't take your check either, cash in hand is how i roll. Maybe a deposit via PayPal to hold it untill you can get cash the next day but that's about it, can't trust people these days simple as that

    Leave a comment:


  • freeride53
    replied
    Originally posted by E30_Pare
    wut the fudge.

    i imagine this guy to look crazy with a crown, in a wife beater, & shower robe.

    exactly.

    Leave a comment:


  • defaultName
    replied
    Originally posted by Stanley Rockafella
    i haven't deleted schit
    He means the Craigslist ad was deleted.

    Leave a comment:


  • Stanley Rockafella
    replied
    Originally posted by Exodus_2pt0
    Post deleted by author. Probably best to walk away.
    i haven't deleted schit

    but yes, thanks guys, I did walk away, and feel much better for doing so.

    Leave a comment:


  • e30vert
    replied
    Walk Away! Just the fact that you are posting up asking for others opinions speaks volumes about what your gut is telling you. You have unconsciously read the signs and internalized them so now act on them.

    If there was not concern then the tread would be titled - "Hey Bro's I got an awesome new Volvo as a Daily Driver. I did not read that as a thread title.

    Leave a comment:


  • Exodus_2pt0
    replied
    Post deleted by author. Probably best to walk away.

    Leave a comment:


  • Kevinl
    replied
    What's a cheque?

    Leave a comment:


  • Stanley Rockafella
    replied
    Originally posted by JinormusJ
    ^^^^^
    I don't understand...
    Did you not end up getting the wheels.....?
    nope

    Leave a comment:


  • blunttech
    replied
    Originally posted by Stanley Rockafella
    The dude lived downtown in a tiny apartment complex. He said he had a huge holding area outside the city he shared with another guy where he stored all his cars and motorcycles.

    now that I think back, when I saw the registration on the car, it had the previous owners information on it (name, address etc.). Maybe this car wasn't his to begin with?



    Funny, just about a week ago I recall a similar situation when I was supposed to purchase some wheels and tires for my 97 Escort. There was a guy I worked with at an auto parts store who had an early 90's Civic sedan that had a nicer set of 15 inch alloys. They had nearly new rubber and would have looked awesome on my car.

    I spoke to him about purchasing his wheels and tires, and surprisingly he agreed. We agreed on a silly price of $200 for all 4. I knew I was getting a great deal, as I would have easily paid over $500 on kijiji or CL from someone else.

    Prior to this, I recall him coming to work saying that he was a terrible theif and to never trust anything he did or said. He was my supervisor, and all of the management at the store (including his managers) never trusted him, they all treated him like crap and were always keeping tabs on him. He'd also have funny mannerisms that this guy earlier today shared. The way he couldn't sit still, the way he smoked like a chimney, the way he was always tellin stories, the overall fidigity way about him...just didn't seem right

    To make a long story short, he got my $200 and I got a valuable lesson to never trust anyone who I find myself with more questions than answers. And that if the deal is too good to be true, it probably is!

    Stanley.... i dont think you did learn a lesson or you wouldnt be on here asking about this Volvo. ALWAYS trust your gut feeling. ALWAYS

    Leave a comment:


  • LivingLegend06
    replied
    try this out to run the VIN:


    No issues reported there but it doesnt seem to give as much information as it does on cars within the states.

    The situation definitely sounds sketchy but if you looked over the car and everything checks out I say go for it. Make sure you get a bill of sale with the guys real name, especially if someone different is on the title.

    Leave a comment:


  • JinormusJ
    replied
    ^^^^^
    I don't understand...
    Did you not end up getting the wheels.....?

    Leave a comment:


  • Stanley Rockafella
    replied
    Originally posted by mr.vang
    Link to ad
    The dude lived downtown in a tiny apartment complex. He said he had a huge holding area outside the city he shared with another guy where he stored all his cars and motorcycles.

    now that I think back, when I saw the registration on the car, it had the previous owners information on it (name, address etc.). Maybe this car wasn't his to begin with?



    Funny, just about a week ago I recall a similar situation when I was supposed to purchase some wheels and tires for my 97 Escort. There was a guy I worked with at an auto parts store who had an early 90's Civic sedan that had a nicer set of 15 inch alloys. They had nearly new rubber and would have looked awesome on my car.

    I spoke to him about purchasing his wheels and tires, and surprisingly he agreed. We agreed on a silly price of $200 for all 4. I knew I was getting a great deal, as I would have easily paid over $500 on kijiji or CL from someone else.

    Prior to this, I recall him coming to work saying that he was a terrible theif and to never trust anything he did or said. He was my supervisor, and all of the management at the store (including his managers) never trusted him, they all treated him like crap and were always keeping tabs on him. He'd also have funny mannerisms that this guy earlier today shared. The way he couldn't sit still, the way he smoked like a chimney, the way he was always tellin stories, the overall fidigity way about him...just didn't seem right

    To make a long story short, he got my $200 and I got a valuable lesson to never trust anyone who I find myself with more questions than answers. And that if the deal is too good to be true, it probably is!

    Leave a comment:


  • TurboJake
    replied
    Originally posted by Stanley Rockafella
    My problem comes from what the owner was claiming. He said in the ad that the a/c was ice cold. When i got there to see the car, the a/c wasn't cold at all. He then said it was because the system just needed a charge and that he had a hose to charge it (I do too).

    I really want to like this car, but the seller owned many cars and just seemed too sketchy for me. He seemed like he was on crack cocaine or something, and could not sit still for 2 minutes. I got the vin and was about to give him a deposit with a cheque, but he refused saying that he does not accept cheques. He then said he only deals in cash.

    Just to make some small talk, I asked him what he was teaching at the university, he said he had a permanent cure for diabetes. Earlier in our meeting, he mentioned he he was a baseball player in the states.

    I dunno, I really like this car and dont' want to miss out on a nice car (I mean even both sets of keys with remotes looked great, the second set looked like it had never been used yet). On the other hand, I dont' want to get cheated out of $1700

    He basically said everything that would make me want to trust him, but I really dont' have time to inspect this car as someone else will easily purchase this car in the meantime. I've bought and sold a few cars in my time, but this one seems a bit too good to be true. At least I got the vin of the car to run a carfax on it...

    any advice?
    Go with your gut feeling. I'd walk away fast. If you're hell bent, take cash, and tell them this cash is theirs as soon as he takes it to a shop you trust to inspect it. Pay for the inspection too. (EVEN IF YOU DON'T BUY IT).

    What I put in bold and italicized scream a lot to me though.

    Leave a comment:

Working...