Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone have experience with Yamaha 03-05 r6s?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone have experience with Yamaha 03-05 r6s?

Im trying to figure out some resources and maintenance info on this bike, all the bike forums seem to be dead. Anybody a rider on here?

Try ocmoto.com

I don't know a whole lot about these other than they're a blast to ride lol

Originally posted by ROLLingKING
    i have a bronzit and plan on making it look sweet.
    Originally posted by slammin.e28
    Moral of this story?

If you drive your e30 on stairs, you're gonna have a bad time.

Comment

Keep up with valve adjustments, chain adjustments, and oil changes and there shouldn't be much of an issue. Hands down, Japanese bikes are king of reliability when it comes to motorcycles.
      1989 325i - 2.7i, Holset H1C, 60lb injectors, whodwho MS-PNP.
      2012 Passat TDI - DD Duty
      2008 GMC Yukon XL Denali - Kiddie hauler/grocery getter

Comment

I sold those while they were new, like post above not much to them other than basic maintenance.
        I love that people ask stupid questions so I dont have.

Comment

I read that they need a new timing chain at 15k, must research to do still.

Comment

Originally posted by TheTacoMan View Post
            I read that they need a new timing chain at 15k, must research to do still.
            What? I owned a new '04 from 10 miles to 31,000 miles. It never even needed teh valve adjustment at 25k.

The don't have the 2nd gear problem of the 1st gen bikes, but I still wouldn't abuse it.

I used how the clutch felt as the gauge on when to change the oil vs mileage (remember the oil is shared by engine/trans/clutch). Sometimes as much as 3k, sometimes as little as 1500. Chains/sprockets will last 8-10k miles if kept clean and lubricated. Flush the brakes once a year.

Forks/shocks rebuilt every 10k or so (quality synthetic oil when doing this makes a very noticeable different in handling), you'll blow out fork seals frequently if you set down wheelies hard.

Sticky tires are only going last ~3000 miles, replace them in pairs even though front looks good, it's worn in with old back tire and won't match a new rear profile.

I did an Akrapovic slip-on, Yamaha racing velocity stacks, Yamaha racing filter, and Power commander with a dyno tune, put down ~109whp. I'd go -1, +2 on the sprockets for some extra oomph. I think we always used the EK racing X-ring chains.

www.r6-forumz.com is small but a lot of knowledge there. r6messagenet.com, there are a few others with good info.

Sport bikes are pretty bullet proof unless they've been owned by an icy hot stunta.
            Need parts now? Need them cheap? steve@blunttech.com
            Chief Sales Officer, Midwest Division—Blunt Tech Industries

www.gutenparts.com
            One stop shopping for NEW, USED and EURO PARTS!

Comment

Originally posted by z31maniac View Post
              Sport bikes are pretty bullet proof unless they've been owned by an icy hot stunta.
              What Z31 said. I owned a 2003 R6 (same as R6s of later years) I think they continued making the "sport / s" all the way up to 2008 R6s, alongside the new 2006 R6, thus why they were called "s" at that point, and the new gen was sometimes called the "r". They are phenomenal bikes honestly.

There is one thing that stands out on the 2003's. It's the coils, around 8k-15k miles if your bike sounds like a vtwin all of a sudden, it's because the coils are faulty and weren't replaced. As the originally equipped were recalled, this means the coil update is of no cost to you. I had an oil change, coolant flush, brake flush, and new tires put on while I had them switched out.

Project Thread | Instagram | Phoenix, Arizona Events Thread

Comment

Originally posted by z31maniac View Post
                What? I owned a new '04 from 10 miles to 31,000 miles. It never even needed teh valve adjustment at 25k.

The don't have the 2nd gear problem of the 1st gen bikes, but I still wouldn't abuse it.

I used how the clutch felt as the gauge on when to change the oil vs mileage (remember the oil is shared by engine/trans/clutch). Sometimes as much as 3k, sometimes as little as 1500. Chains/sprockets will last 8-10k miles if kept clean and lubricated. Flush the brakes once a year.

Good to hear they are not too much of maintenance queens.
                Never heard of the 2nd or first gear problem.
                I have a fair bit of experience in the dirt on a few different bikes ive owned and a couple quads. Signed up for a Mc class later this month for a license.
                Bottom line is what are these bikes worth with 10-15k miles? Ive seen them range from 3k- all the way to 6k. Im of spending 3800-4200 on a bike. Then all the gear.

Comment

When I buy used, I try to go for condition/maintenance over miles. Not sure what it's worth, I've been out of bikes for a few years after wrecking on track.

The 1st gen bikes had a problem with being abused and then when you get on the throttle they pop out of second gear back to neutral.

Even the modern Ducati's aren't too bad on maintenance these days.

Glad to hear your taking the MCS course, that's a great idea! There are also a few good books you should read as well. Another thing I use to go do every 30-60 days.........go find a deserted back road, industrial park and PRACTICE like crazy my threshold/panic braking from 60-70 down to 0. Dozens of runs each time I would go do this.

www.gutenparts.com

Comment

Im all ears on those books, and Im going to try to get as new as bike as possible within a budget but I dont want to lay down a perfect bike.

Comment

Proficient Motorcycling and MORE Proficient Motorcycling will make a great start, both by David Hough.

As long as you have a real desire to LEARN to ride and now just be a SQUID on a fast bike you should be just fine. Buy good gear....quality helmet, leather gloves, leather jacket (wear a real back protector underneath), SIDI or similar race boots, and draggin' jeans. Most of my buddies just wore full leathers when we went out on the street.

Sweat > blood

You'll need full leather or a jacket that zips to leather pants for track work, however.

www.gutenparts.com

Comment

Also Total Control and Twist of the Wrist and Street Strategies and Sport Riding Techniques.

Read these, practice, and riding on the street in town and out in the twisties will be relatively safe.

www.gutenparts.com

Comment

Passed with 100% in written and 100% in ridding.
                          Now onto selling one of dirt bikes.

Comment

I absolutely love riding my brothers 03 r6, just feels right to me. I really do not like riding newer bikes that have the steering damper and what not, really takes away from the character of the bike.

FREE BITCOINS!! http://qoinpro.com/71690d1639966bfbf223bf16538cec21
                            Originally posted by scabzzzz
                            I stand up, pull my dick out, and asked my gf to give me some noggin... Well, she starts laughing at me and I freaked out and ran off and locked myself in a bedroom.
                            1989 325i - Project/weekend driver
                            2002 325i - DD
                            2005 Suzuki SV650 - Toy

Comment

Originally posted by gtdragon980 View Post
                              I absolutely love riding my brothers 03 r6, just feels right to me. I really do not like riding newer bikes that have the steering damper and what not, really takes away from the character of the bike.
                              This is quite possibly the dumbest thing I've ever read.

Anyone who does more than wheelie on the highway or pose at the local hangout puts a steering damper on the bike if there isn't already one. I had an Ohlins on mine.

www.gutenparts.com

Comment

Working...
                              X