Calling R3v artist/diy'ers etc

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Calling R3v artist/diy'ers etc

Hey R3v, its mid september and I've been told about a rather impressive sounding halloween party that should be happening in the future. With that date fast approaching, I've decide that I wanna make myself a newer, much more professional mau5head. I am a HUGE fan of Deadmau5 and making a mau5head is not something I'm "new" to.

Now, here's where I need help. I am more than capable of making the shape and fit of the whole rig, but I want to be more ambitious with the color scheme. The last one was just cloth stretched/spray glued to the set up. What I WANT is to replicate this:

Now, how do you guys reckon' this effect was created?! Whats been stumping me is how to get it to be reflective. I have a bit more time/money to throw at this project, but I do also want to be realistic about what needs to be done.
    <---Goodnight, sweet prince

Eat well, stay fit, die anyway.

Originally posted by Brandon12V
    unlikely. too many e46 guys craving Big Fucking Cock

it looks like its chromed man.
    IG: @Baye30

FRONT VALENCE IS ZENDER!!! STOP FILLING MY PM BOX PPL!!!

Comment

Huge supplier of Automotive Paint, Auto Body Supplies, Airbrush Equipment, Car Detailing Supplies, Pinstripe Paint, Spray Guns & Safety Respirators at Wholesale Prices. Our items are factory direct and we carry a wide variety of Top Quality Brands.

Get the best deals on Mesh Silver Car and Truck Grilles when you shop the largest online selection at eBay.com. Free shipping on many items | Browse your favorite brands | affordable prices.

no it wont be exact, but itll be damn close if done right

Originally posted by LowR3V'in
      It's in the name e30tech not e30offtopic

Comment

damn that thing is awesome, i hope you have luck in replicating it, its definitely possible.

Comment

Originally posted by emerson. View Post
          http://www.tcpglobal.com/SprayPaintD...FaXm7Aod1EAApQ

Get the best deals on Mesh Silver Car and Truck Grilles when you shop the largest online selection at eBay.com. Free shipping on many items | Browse your favorite brands | affordable prices.

no it wont be exact, but itll be damn close if done right
          Thanks! The mesh grill was my next problem that I wasn't quite sure where to source that material from. The paint however, I'm unsure of. I experimented before with 'metallic' paint and discovered that you only really get the metallic finish if you spray something that is also metallic.

The only way I could think of really getting that reflective finish is to do layer upon layer and to sand and polish it and do a clear coat as well. Does that sound right? Painting is not where I'm the most knowledgeable.

Comment

Grill looks like the same pattern I've seen on those standing propane patio heaters. Just throwing that out there.
            1991 325i - "Scambles" The Daily Driven lightly modded.
            1988 Mazda RX-7 TII "Mako" The Free Dorito
            bacon by Jared Laabs, on Flickr

Comment

Stretching chrome film

^The also sell a spray chrome similar to the video above^

Leave Me Transaction Feedback

Comment

Maybe making the head and ears, out of a light weight plastic mold will help you with the polished/chrome finish, once it's painted.
                @IRON-E30 aka Edwin:D

Comment

Turbo jake has it, but i suggest tin foil.
                  "I wanna see da boat movie"
                  "I got a tree on my house"

Comment

start with an old motorcycle helmet. use fiberglass to make the outside shape of the sphere and ears. wrap a large cheap ball(like you can find in toy stores or perhaps use a resistance work out ball(they are really big) with 1/8" fiberglass matting/resin. use a mold release on the outside of the ball. then just puncture the ball when the fiberglass sets and pull it out of the hole. maybe a good mold for the ears would be a large round cake pan. make the proper cut outs of your sphere, use resin to glue the ears on, and fiberglass it to the motorcycle helmet around the bottom edge. as far as chrome finish....google "electroplating". this is the process that makes chrome parts for plastic model kits. you can make your own set up in your garage very cheaply. it would be a lot of work though. maybe not worth the trouble.

the space heater screen idea is a good one but that screen on the big photo above has a compound spherical curve to it instead of just a simple radius. you could start with that and instill the complex bend with an english wheel.
                    Last edited by flyboyx; 09-16-2013, 06:38 PM.
                    sigpic
                    Gigitty Gigitty!!!!

88 cabrio becoming alpina b6 3.5s transplanted s62
                    92 Mtech 2 cabrio alpinweiss 770 code
                    88 325ix coupe manual lachsilber/cardinal
                    88 325ix coupe manual diamondschwartz/natur
                    87 e30 m3 for parts lachsilber/cardinal(serial number 7)
                    12 135i M sport cabrio grey/black

Comment

Why not use "chrome" vinyl wrap?
                      91 318is M50 swapped
                      05 Honda Pilot

24V swap thread
                      http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=302524

Comment

Go here and have fun choosing some wire mesh.

McMaster-Carr is the complete source for your plant with over 595,000 products. 98% of products ordered ship from stock and deliver same or next day.

I would use fiberglass and bodywork/paint it chrome-ish or...

shape it out of aluminum, steep learning curve though.

Also, getting wire mesh into a compound curve shape is not hard at all.
                        Lorin

Originally posted by slammin.e28
                        The M30 is God's engine.

Comment

i say mold>fiberglass>auto black gloss>tons of clear

NEW ERA AUTO GLASS - SFV SOCAL - 818 974-3673
                          DREWLIENTE

1$ PShops PM me

Comment

For the shape of the sphere I was going to go with another 13" hamster ball and fill in the small air holes with something like fiberglass or the likes and sand off the rough edges. This way, I eliminate myself from trying to create a perfect sphere. Last time I made the ears out of two layers of thick cardboard which worked out well when I used the felt cloth that I used to cover the head.

I am REALLY drawn into the idea of using that stretch chrome, but I'm a little worried about trying to stretch a sheet of something over a sphere. But looking at that website, if they can seamlessly cover a lamborghini, how hard could it be to cover a simple sphere...I mean right?

Edit:
                            how hard is it to get/work with fiberglass? I feel like maybe I'm just scaring myself away from it possibly?

Comment

Fiberglass around a structure is easy - fiberglass in a free standing form is tricky. If you have anything you can lay/form it on to get the shape, it's straight forward.
                              1987 Delphin 325e Sedan - Natalie
                              1990 325i 24v
                              1997 Chevrolet K1500 Crew Cab 4x4 - The Centurion

Comment

Working...
                              X