Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Work in the IT field? Chime in your experience.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Work in the IT field? Chime in your experience.

A few months ago, I posted about leaving this state and starting a new job, but couldn't determine where. After some serious consideration, I'm ready to make a career change into the IT field where I find it more tolerable. I have been working on computers for as long as I can remember and I actually know more than the IT guy at our dealership. Working in parts has made me want to get out of the auto industry. Before I start to finally get my foot in the door, I would like to hear everyone else's experiences. Let me know what you do, what you've had to do, your requirements to get hired, if you are paid well, your advancement opportunities, etc.
    1989 325i - 2.7i, Holset H1C, 60lb injectors, whodwho MS-PNP.
    2012 Passat TDI - DD Duty
    2008 GMC Yukon XL Denali - Kiddie hauler/grocery getter

Well, I'm just like you and I am trying to get into the IT field. No advice to offer on how it is but I can say without a doubt, the IT's in the government know jack shit and get paid out the ass. Every time I contact them for an issue that needs their admin privileges, they don't know what to do and I have to end up helping them. I'm going back to college to get a degree in either Computer and Information Science or Computer Networks and Security. It seems you cannot get your foot in the door at all nowadays with just skill and technical background. Might be different in your area though!

FREE BITCOINS!! http://qoinpro.com/71690d1639966bfbf223bf16538cec21
    Originally posted by scabzzzz
    I stand up, pull my dick out, and asked my gf to give me some noggin... Well, she starts laughing at me and I freaked out and ran off and locked myself in a bedroom.
    1989 325i - Project/weekend driver
    2002 325i - DD
    2005 Suzuki SV650 - Toy

Comment

People are stupid....nuff said

Comment

EDI field is very interesting. I started as network admin and got interested in EDI specially in shipping industry. But if u don't like programming/coding then don't go there.
        Networking/cyber security perhaps..
        [All the Bronzit haters]

Comment

It takes a special person to be IT. I fell into the field. I'm more of a on site technician for my company. I work on phone lines, data drops, trouble shoot all the electronics on site for us ( printers, pcs, servers,etc). I'm the not so lazy one in the department so I'm running conduit and pulling cables. I get to unbox tons of cool Cisco equipment and pretty dope security cameras. I'm basically the ambulance for the company if something breaks for one of our 70+ sites I need to be there first thing in the morning to fix it. I do get to travel all over Cali Arizona and Las Vegas so that's a major plus. The office life is not for me I feel it's for lazy people might as we'll be a security guard lol. To each it's own I guess. My coworkers live inside the box if you ask them to do something outside of their specialty they have a melt down. I'm very friendly and outgoing so I always go above and beyond to keep our companies employees happy (especially the ladies). I was building office furniture for some lady yesterday haha. But in seriousness it all depends on what side of IT your looking to get into. I'm in it for the paycheck and probably would not consider IT in a future career change. Good luck brotha.

Comment

Security is where its at, I have a friend that works in DC (layed off right now) but if you've been keeping up Adobe got hacked last week and Network Solutions this week. Im in school now for security and risk analysis at Penn State.

As far as jobs go I live in Ohio and there is a local place hiring a SAP security Architect and salary is at 95k!!!

Comment

Sys Admin here with just about 5 years experience but mostly on the IS side focusing on Windows/Linux/Unix. My industry is financial services and it has been good to me all these years and will probably stay in the industry/field for the time being.

Comment

Don't get into IT.
                1986 Plymouth Horizon. Base.

Comment

Originally posted by InuFaye View Post
                  Don't get into IT.
                  Why? I'm legitimately asking.

Comment

Originally posted by redsubdivisions View Post
                    Why? I'm legitimately asking.
                    It does pay decently so lets get that out of the way.

1. You get blamed for everything related to a computer. Oh this excel spreadsheet won't work because I fucked up the formatting? Its IT's fault. Shit like that will drive you crazy.

2. You will be expected to babysit everyone with all their technology.

3. You will have to be an asshole to almost everyone to stay sane and avoid burnout within a year.

4. You will have to work with people who have the money and have no idea how IT works and think that you can just keep on using old hardware all the time.

5. People will expect you to work on their personal shit for free just because you work together.

6. You will have to constantly learn new shit all the time.
                    7. You are on call 24/7.
                    8. You have to job hop every 2-3 years just to get a raise.
                    9. You are always inheriting someone else's mess.

Ive been doing the sysadmin thing for about 7 years now and its tiring as fuck.
                    1986 Plymouth Horizon. Base.

Comment

Originally posted by EREKSHUN View Post
                      It takes a special person to be IT. I fell into the field. I'm more of a on site technician for my company. I work on phone lines, data drops, trouble shoot all the electronics on site for us ( printers, pcs, servers,etc). I'm the not so lazy one in the department so I'm running conduit and pulling cables. I get to unbox tons of cool Cisco equipment and pretty dope security cameras. I'm basically the ambulance for the company if something breaks for one of our 70+ sites I need to be there first thing in the morning to fix it. I do get to travel all over Cali Arizona and Las Vegas so that's a major plus. The office life is not for me I feel it's for lazy people might as we'll be a security guard lol. To each it's own I guess. My coworkers live inside the box if you ask them to do something outside of their specialty they have a melt down. I'm very friendly and outgoing so I always go above and beyond to keep our companies employees happy (especially the ladies). I was building office furniture for some lady yesterday haha. But in seriousness it all depends on what side of IT your looking to get into. I'm in it for the paycheck and probably would not consider IT in a future career change. Good luck brotha.
                      This is exactly the answer I was hoping to hear but you must be an exception. Lol I hate being in an office all day, let alone a building where I just sling parts all day. Whenever it comes to computers and just technology in general, it comes so natural to me it's not even funny. I am always the go to guy with friends and family. I like being able to solve problems and that's partially one of the reasons why I like working on my cars in the spare time because I am actually using my brain.

Comment

California is where you wanna go for IT specifically the Bay Area --> Mountain View/Silicon Valley.

I work in IT and have just about 5 years experience, I started in the NOCC where I did a lot of administrative task and tier one user troubleshooting I recently just has a promotion and now work on application & environment configuration/troubleshooting. For the most part I think it depends on the company you end up with. Some can be hectic and intense while others may just be a laid back relaxed but controlled environment. I work in the office environment only because my team specializes on internal applications and not so much physical materials. I'm not lazy either, if another team needs help with what they need I'm more than willing to share what I know and help out. I say find what specific type of IT work you wanna get into and search where it is abundant. Last I heard the IT field was around 10 openings per qualified applicant at the very least here in Cali.
                        SO MUCH MORE TO DO!!
                        IG: ohthejosh

LEGIT CHECK ME BRUH
                        BUYER FEEDBACK THREAD

Comment

You must work in helpdesk, try moving into network/security/programming.

Originally posted by InuFaye View Post
                          It does pay decently so lets get that out of the way.

1. You get blamed for everything related to a computer. Oh this excel spreadsheet won't work because I fucked up the formatting? Its IT's fault. Shit like that will drive you crazy.

2. You will be expected to babysit everyone with all their technology.

3. You will have to be an asshole to almost everyone to stay sane and avoid burnout within a year.

4. You will have to work with people who have the money and have no idea how IT works and think that you can just keep on using old hardware all the time.

5. People will expect you to work on their personal shit for free just because you work together.

6. You will have to constantly learn new shit all the time.
                          7. You are on call 24/7.
                          8. You have to job hop every 2-3 years just to get a raise.
                          9. You are always inheriting someone else's mess.

Ive been doing the sysadmin thing for about 7 years now and its tiring as fuck.

Comment

Originally posted by capn View Post
                            You must work in helpdesk, try moving into network/security/programming.
                            lol! i was thinking the same thing.

i've been in IT for 10 years, love it. stay away from help desk positions and most consulting firms. some are IT labor slaughter houses... but some are legit and take care of their people. one thing about consulting firms, you learn a ton! you get to work with hundreds of different companies, all with different technologies. i personally would never work for another one. working in IT really boils down to who you work for.

what interests you in IT? computer repair, servers, networks, web, etc...

read this too - http://jcornelius.com/2013/08/ux-salaries-compared/
                            91 m3

Comment

^ Dude did you turn your E30 M3 into a table? What's up with the beverages on the hood... and that passenger door...!

Comment

Working...
                              X