Nissan Hardbody advice....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nissan Hardbody advice....

Since r3v is the holy Mecca of pretty much everything car/truck related, I figured some of yous guys would know a thing or two about Hardbodys.

1996 D21 2.4l 4x4 single cab.

ABS light is on.

Main question, how do you pull codes? I got a code reader from work but it would only do the CEL.

These things are only rear-wheel ABS. Can't be much to it, yet anything I Google comes up with OBD1 trucks and cars, and people just pulling the bulb. Well, I can't do that for state inspection reasons (bulb check at start up), and it's not my truck.

Anyone?
    1974.5 Jensen Healey : 2003 330i/5

Are you sure it's a 96? I ask because I thought all cars/trucks 96 and up were OBD2.
    sigpic
    Rebuilding since 07/06/2016

Poorboyz Parts For Sale - Updated 01/20/17 - Will be updated soon - Have many parts to post

Poorboyz Feedback Thread

Comment

afaik obd systems diagnose emissions control only. no help on abs. mine, a '87 4x4 has neither abs or obd but it seems like any abs system would need the same actors as e30- control module, relay and sensors, eh?

Comment

I have a Nissan Pathfinder/Hardbody Haynes manual here from the time I used to rock a jacked up Pathy...lemme dig it up and see what I can find
        Originally posted by flyboyx
        i have watched my dog lick himself off a few times

Comment

Don't you have enough piles laying around?
          2011 1M Alpine white/black
          1996 Civic white/black
          1988 M3 lachs/black

Comment

Originally posted by 2761377 View Post
            afaik obd systems diagnose emissions control only. no help on abs.
            This is true. OBD2 is simply a federally mandated universal code system for auto manufacturers relating to the drivetrain.

I spent $250 for an OBD2 reader that will only read domestics. Not sure what to do for imports.

On that note, I've fallen in love with pre OBD diagnostics. Jump 2 wires on my trooper and it blinks the codes out to me. Fuck yea.
            No E30 Club
            Originally posted by MrBurgundy
            Anyways, mustangs are gay and mini vans are faster than your car, you just have to deal with that.

Comment

Originally posted by Poorboyz View Post
              Are you sure it's a 96? I ask because I thought all cars/trucks 96 and up were OBD2.
              Yup, it's a '96. OBD2. Read the CEL no problem.

Originally posted by Mr. Burns View Post
              I have a Nissan Pathfinder/Hardbody Haynes manual here from the time I used to rock a jacked up Pathy...lemme dig it up and see what I can find
              I have one of those somewhere, but it's been like 6 years since I had my Hardbody.

Originally posted by Exodus_2pt0 View Post

On that note, I've fallen in love with pre OBD diagnostics. Jump 2 wires on my trooper and it blinks the codes out to me. Fuck yea.
              This is where I'm failing. What two wires? I can't find than info anywhere. I think I found the connector, right beside the OBD2 one, but IDK what to cross to get the blink codes or to clear them.

Since I had no other way of diaging this thing, I crawled under it and checked the wiring. Rear wheel only ABS, should be simple, eh? Well, the wiring at the diff speed sensor is broken. So, hopefully that's my problem, but then clearing the code becomes and issue.

Comment

ABS is usually a self clearing system. It does a self test every time you start the vehicle. No fault, no light.

If you found a broken wire, that is 100% your problem.
                No E30 Club
                Anyways, mustangs are gay and mini vans are faster than your car, you just have to deal with that.

Comment

ABS is usually a self clearing system. It does a self test every time you start the vehicle. No fault, no light.

If you found a broken wire, that is 100% your problem.
                  Hope so. This thing is so crusty underneath.

Comment

Another good trick I have learned with ABS is to take note when the light comes on.

If the light comes on when you start the car, before you move anywhere, then it is most likely a open somewhere. Wiring, pump, internal open at the sensor, ect.

If it doesn't come on until you start driving down the road, you should look at the speed sensors/reluctor rings. At that point it just isn't seeing a wave pattern, but the resistance checks out.
                    No E30 Club

Comment

Another good trick I have learned with ABS is to take note when the light comes on.

If the light comes on when you start the car, before you move anywhere, then it is most likely a open somewhere. Wiring, pump, internal open at the sensor, ect.

If it doesn't come on until you start driving down the road, you should look at the speed sensors/reluctor rings. At that point it just isn't seeing a wave pattern, but the resistance checks out.
                      Nice, never thought of that. This one does come on after you start it.....for the past 10 years I hear.

Next thing, and I admit, I haven't taken it apart yet, but the odometer stopped probably 10 years ago. Gears? I really don't know about Japanese cars.

Comment

Here you are lamb,

Comment

I have hi-res pics if you need, pm me and I can email them to you

Ryan

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Burns View Post
                            I have hi-res pics if you need, pm me and I can email them to you

Ryan
                            You are the best!

I can't find my book, but I bet it'll turn up when I'm done. Massive help man! Thanks a ton!

Comment

Working...
                            X