Home+Work+School=Juggling Act from Hell

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Home+Work+School=Juggling Act from Hell

Are any of you attending College or techincal school while working full-time and fulfilling the office of Husband and Father? How do you work things out to where you have time to study?

You learn to not sleep. I don't have kids, but to appease the woman we go to bed together, which means we get a little us time, then she goes to sleep while I stay up reading. I also do some studying at work if I have time, but that doesn't happen as much as it used to. Either way I only have one month left and I am very happy about it. Good luck.
    88 325is - S52 powered

Originally posted by King Arthur
    We'll not risk another frontal assault, that rabbit's dynamite!

Comment

Full time Mechanical Engineering in my senior year and working 36-44 hours a week. I only get to study when there is some downtime at work and I only sleep 4~6 hours a night. Doing horrible in school but passing classes, and I feel like shit most of the time.

Comment

I'll be done with school in the spring. It's not easy at all, I've been doing it the last 3 years (1.5 years of that married). My wife understand the importance of what I'm doing, and we set days where we spend quality time together. Every Sunday it's just us, no school, no work just us and whatever we want to do. I'm not sure how demanding your job is but for me, I'm salary, I give it 100% for the 40 hours I'm paid then I leave, don't take work with me and don't think about it when I'm not there. There has to be some separation or it just get's to over whelming. Most important, list your priorities, and keep them that way. Mine:

God
        Wife
        Work
        School
        Hobbies

It hasn't always been easy, but we've made it through and the light is at the end of the tunnel now.
        sigpic

Rebellion Forge Custom Fabrication

1988 325is - TrackRat in progress

Instagram @rebellionforge

Comment

I'm 28, and in my senior year of a BS in IT. I got an AS in automotive technology in my early twenties, then worked at dealerships for 6 years. I got tired of working so hard for so little money, and decided to go back to school. I worked on my AS in IT while working as a lead technician at a dealership, but decided I needed to be able to focus more on school and less on work if I was actually going to learn anything and have the money and time spent earning a BS be worth it. I left automotive work behind to take a seasonal job, with more hours than I can handle in the summer and holiday season, but very few hours in the winter and spring. To supplement my income I have a work-study position on campus at the College I attend, where I assist with tech support with students and faculty, and monitor the student computer lab. Most of the time, however, I get paid to sit at my desk and study. Budgeting is can be a struggle, but I work 50+ hours a week in summer, and 25-40 during the winter, depending on the week.

I have co-hab'd with my GF for 3 years, and she is in the same boat, and she is finishing her second bachelors this year. Fortunately, she already has a good job in her field that allows her to largely set her own hours.

As other's have said, it is important to set time aside for family obligations. From time to time I have to tell myself that a project is good enough, put it aside, and accept that I might get an B or C on it, so I can go take care of other obligations.

It is absolutely a struggle, and there is no easy solution, but I just keep reminding myself that the sacrifices now will pay off in the future, and not focus so much on getting an assignment done, but on making sure I am learning what I will need to know for my future career.

Unfortunately, this all means that work on my car gets done at a glacial pace. It has been 5 months since it came off the road for a basic respray. Id rather be working on that, but right now I have to finish an annotated bibliography for a research paper about virtualization technology. I've been reading papers about Hyper-V vs VMware until I turned blue in the face. It's like reading about Xbox vs Playstation, but with more acronyms, and fewer racist threats... that is to say it is less entertaining.
          Last edited by Andy.B; 11-15-2013, 07:18 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Jalves619 View Post
            I feel like shit most of the time.
            This pretty much sums it up.

Comment

Don't watch any TV.... you will have much more free time

http://www.westwerksauto.com

Comment

thank you

Originally posted by IronFreak View Post
                I'll be done with school in the spring. It's not easy at all, I've been doing it the last 3 years (1.5 years of that married). My wife understand the importance of what I'm doing, and we set days where we spend quality time together. Every Sunday it's just us, no school, no work just us and whatever we want to do. I'm not sure how demanding your job is but for me, I'm salary, I give it 100% for the 40 hours I'm paid then I leave, don't take work with me and don't think about it when I'm not there. There has to be some separation or it just get's to over whelming. Most important, list your priorities, and keep them that way. Mine:

God
                Wife
                Work
                School
                Hobbies

It hasn't always been easy, but we've made it through and the light is at the end of the tunnel now.
                I like that you mentioned God. On that other forum for that other German car manufacture, I get thrashed when ever I mention anything to do with Faith.

Comment

Originally posted by Jalves619 View Post
                  Full time Mechanical Engineering in my senior year and working 36-44 hours a week. I only get to study when there is some downtime at work and I only sleep 4~6 hours a night. Doing horrible in school but passing classes, and I feel like shit most of the time.

Hahah, the life of every engineering student, eventually get to a point where you say fck it, just gotta pass and get the hell out! Maintain that 3.0 for internships and jobs though!

Comment

Originally posted by e30evolution View Post
                    Don't watch any TV.... you will have much more free time
                    +1

I havent had a TV in years. Sure Im outta touch with the entertainment industry, but does that even matter??? not to me it doesn't!
                    If it's got tits or tires, it's gonna cost ya!

Comment

27 year old 2nd/3rd year Mechanical engineering student here, home-owner since 23, and work full time for a race prep/arrive and drive shop. I have to travel for two race weekends a month (usually wed/thur-mon) and do a lot of my school work remotely. Luckily I have an awesome gf who is in the same boat and we help each other a lot. Clinging to my 3.0, working on ME w/ graphics concentration
                      - '88 m54 coupe

<3

Comment

You can't have everything.

-Good performance in school
                        -Demanding job
                        -Good social life
                        -Good amount of sleep

Pick two to focus on, three if you really don't like the fourth.

Graduated with a BS in ME in '11 with full merit ride to grad school, worked internships/coops all four years during semesters and summers, had a good enough social life, and nurtured a growing racing habit when I could. You can survive amazingly well on 4hrs/night if you put your mind to it.
                        2017 Chevrolet SS, 6MT
                        95 M3/2/5 (S54 and Mk60 DSC, CARB legal, Build Thread)
                        98 M3/4/5 (stock)

Comment

I am no longer in college but I was full time, worked full time, married with a baby.

It was tough but not impossible. You just have to manage your time well and it is actually pretty easy
                          Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

Comment

Originally posted by Bimmerman325i View Post
                            -Good performance in school
                            -Demanding job
                            -Good amount of sleep
                            :up: EE student working anywhere from 20-30 hours a week. I make time for skateboarding, fixing other peoples shit and really couldnt care less about a social life. I find that working while going to school forces me to prioritize and use my time wisely.

Comment

Working...
                            X