10-20 Million $$ Fire I was at this year

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

10-20 Million $$ Fire I was at this year

I have been a firefighter for 14 years, I am a third generation volunteer and this is by far the worst fire I have been too.

The black smoke from the fire was visible at distances up to 60-75KM away (40-50 Miles) and the smell of burning plastic and trucks could be smelled at the west end of our county (45 KM downwind that day)

here is some you tube videos of the fire, as well as some shots from a plane after.

We were on scene from 1 am till 8PM, Had at the peak, 110 firefighters from 8 stations, then had a crew from a 9th station stay all through the next night putting out small rekindled fires.

The Greenhouse lost 12 delivery trucks
    Acres and Acres of snap dragons
    All its sales office and equipment
    all the loading docks
    the shipping department
    two generators that make a ship engine look like an engine from a chevy sprint.

only 3 firefighters were hurt from smoke inhalation
    all trucks needed to be cleaned
    both aerial trucks are still out of service for repairs

feel free to weigh in. The area of the place that burnt was several acres and over a million sq feet.

it was at Rosa Flora in Dunnville ontario canada and is north americas largest gerbera daisy grower. also they have a huge snap dragon production as well.

Last edited by Smelser; 04-15-2014, 06:12 AM.

sigpic1984 318i Total conversion to a DIRT race car.
    Check out our build on facebook @ www.facebook.com/brewstermotorsports

well, I cant figure out the you tube part of the thread, you tube search rosa flora fire 2014 for some of the shots.

Comment

I planted a bunch of snap dragons last year, sorry to see them lose so much of their growth. This is going to hurt them badly with gardeners getting ready for this year.

Glad everyone made it safely, looks like it was a huge mess.
      ~ Puch Cafe. ~ Do business? feedback ~ Check out my leather company ~

Instagram: @BWeissLeather

Current cars:
      ~ '87 325 M30B35 swap
      ~ '87 535
      ~ 01 540 Msport 6spd
      ~ '06 X5 4.8is

Comment

they sell the snaps and gerbs as cut flowers. They went out and bought out a green house in the next town the next week to start the snap dragon production again already. they didnt waste anytime. Other buisnisess in town lent them trucks to get out product that was shipping from the untouched greenhouses across the road.
        whats most interesting, in the pics, the large building at the bottom of the one pic, is a BIOMASS unit that burns wood chips for the facility. that whole building was filled with ready to burn fireload. and it was untouched cause of the wind

Comment

Working...
        X