Any Personal Bankers?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Any Personal Bankers?

For those of you that work in the industry, what's it like?
    I just received a personal banking job offer that pays $15/hr while having no experience and no degree (still in community college and young). Trying to mentally prepare myself for this and do as much independent research as I can.
    sigpic

1999 528it - Daily Driver “Dad Wagon”
    1991 325is - 2.8L Budget Stroker Garage Slut
    1991 318is - Sold
    1986 325 - Sold

Instagram - Lamoursum

What bank? I work every day with personal bankers and business bankers
    Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

Comment

I also work with PB's day in and day out.
      In North Orange County actually, so I'm probably near you.

What bank? Is it a credit union? Because they are the only ones who offer part time positions for bankers. I cannot imagine being a PB AND going to college.
      Most of your interactions are going to be servicing.. basically customer complaints, questions, and problem solving. A smaller portion will actually be sales.
      Do you have any experience in sales or customer service? You're going to have to learn how to talk effectively/communicate/delight customers, bank products, and lots of risk management. Don't worry too much about the learning curve. You're most likely going to be shadowing another personal banker for a while before you're on your own after all your training.

1991 325iS turbo

Comment

Most banks consider the position to be sales and service. The banks I worked at as a financial advisor all had personal bankers and their compensation was driven by what financial products their customers used.
        The position can be lucrative when you have experience. PB's at large banks can pull down in excess of $150,000/yr. But it is a sales position with the bank having goals for your production. But if it turns out you like sales, there are other paths to follow as you grow into the position, from management (yuck) to investment management (cool) to trust services.
        “There is nothing government can give you that it hasn’t taken from you in the first place”
        Sir Winston Churchill

Comment

I used to be a personal banker for Chase (Bank One at the time), it's basically just a sales position. Depending on the financial institution, you'll need to do the following.

Interrogate customers about their entire financial picture when they come in to open a savings acct for their 10 year old son.
          Make cold calls to existing customers and attempt to schedule an interrogation (ahem, meeting) to take a look at their finances and see what business we can steal (ahem, acquire).
          Offer credit cards to anyone and everyone, making a $20 deposit? Offer credit card. Buying a money order, offer credit card. Applying for a credit card, offer another one for their spouse.
          Get yelled at for all of the above not including all of the fees your bank charges that their "friends" credit union doesn't.
          Get yelled at some more.

So yeah, it's not a bad gig.

Comment

I have work experience in retail and restaurants. And it's at US Bank.
            sigpic

1999 528it - Daily Driver “Dad Wagon”
            1991 325is - 2.8L Budget Stroker Garage Slut
            1991 318is - Sold
            1986 325 - Sold

Instagram - Lamoursum

Comment

Working...
            X