Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

[Financial Advice] - Buy an e30M or just keep on the road of debt free?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'd do it. If the effects of it minimal to the lifestyle you live then do it.

1989 325is l 1984 euro 320i l 1970 2002 Racecar
    1991 318i 4dr slick top

Euro spec 320i/Alpina B6 3.5 project(the never ending saga)
    Vintage race car revival (2002 content)
    Mtech 2 turbo restoration
    Brilliantrot slick top "build"

Comment

life is too short, just do it. sign NIKE
      Bought parts from me before? leave your feedback here

Comment

How about you call me and I'll give you $40k cash out on your mortgage to do with as you please?? ;)
        Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

Comment

I like dave ramsey but whats the point in having money if you dont have anything you can spend it on
          1989 BMW 325is Lachsilber metallic 5 speed
          2007 BMW 335i KARMESINROT 6 Speed manual
          2011 BMW X5 35I

Comment

Originally posted by mrsleeve View Post
            op. I agree with farbin, but I also hate debt, if it were me I would finish paying off the house, I dont think a e30m will in decent shape will appreciate to 60k in the 5 years it will take you complete your primary goal. I will be 34 in 5 days, we have not a penny of debt in a while now
            Thanks for your response, and congratulations on being debt free! I actually don't know anyone personally that can actually say that they are debt free.

I also don't think that an e30m will hit the 60k mark in 5 years.

Jon

Comment

Originally posted by markseven View Post
              What is your interest rate and term of the loan?

I feel your wisdom and discipline has earned you the leeway to buy THE RIGHT M3. If you are patient, buy the right car and care for it well, it will appreciate. The economy will dictate the size of the market (down economy = lower number of buyers), but it will be an investment.

If you wanted a new 7 Series, that would be a different story. Hehe.
              I appreciate the kind words, 3.875% for 30 years. The problem is that currently any income that is besides our monthly budget goes directly at the loan. Meaning there is no extra liquid in savings besides the 9 months emergency month, everything that is extra goes towards the loan.

Comment

Was not easy, and my credit report still bares some scars from lessons hard learned but it will all be ok in the end.
                Originally posted by Fusion
                If a car is the epitome of freedom, than an electric car is house arrest with your wife titty fucking your next door neighbor.
                The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money. -Alexis de Tocqueville

The Desire to Save Humanity is Always a False Front for the Urge to Rule it- H. L. Mencken

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants.
                William Pitt-

Comment

Originally posted by rturbo 930 View Post
                  If it's only a 1 year difference, I'd get the car. No point in saving money your entire life and putting off doing the things you enjoy... there's no guarantee you'll be around to enjoy it.
                  I understand your point, nothing in life is guaranteed. Anything as far as financial planning with lots of assumptions.
                  Having said that, the math still doesn't add up in my head. It still would be a 60k investment total.

Jon
                  Last edited by bimmerman89; 07-12-2014, 08:45 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Kevinl View Post
                    I like dave ramsey but whats the point in having money if you dont have anything you can spend it on
                    I guess i don't understand your comment. What im saying is that my current net worth is negative, and would be unwise to spend money on a toy before i would be debt free.

Jon

Comment

Being debt free in a time of historically low interest rates is silly.

Carry a comfortable debt load and invest the rest. You may sacrifice some short term piece of mind, but it'll make a huge difference when you retire. Debt free is better than debt crushed, but leverage is a tool that you should use.

Whether you get the E30 M3 or not is a separate question, but paying down debt only makes sense if you don't have better things to do. The only real reason why a paid down house makes sense for many people is that they will blow all their money if it isn't locked up in a relatively illiquid asset.
                      2006 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4WD LBZ/Allison
                      2002 BMW M3 Alpinweiß/Black
                      1999 323i GTS2 Alpinweiß
                      1995 M3 Dakargelb/Black
                      - S50B32/S6S420G/3.91
                      1990 325is Brilliantrot/Tan
                      1989 M3 Alpinweiß/Black

Hers: 1996 Porsche 911 Turbo Black/Black
                      Hers: 1988 325iX Coupe Diamantschwartz/Black 5spd

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by mrsleeve View Post
                        Was not easy, and my credit report still bares some scars from lessons hard learned but it will all be ok in the end.
                        As far as I'm concerned, credit/FICO score is meaningless when you become debt free and choose to live your life that way.

Jon

Comment

ah yes the american dream to live in debt up to your eyeballs and indenture your self to the bank for some stuff... yup thats the way to live
                          Originally posted by Fusion
                          If a car is the epitome of freedom, than an electric car is house arrest with your wife titty fucking your next door neighbor.
                          The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money. -Alexis de Tocqueville

The Desire to Save Humanity is Always a False Front for the Urge to Rule it- H. L. Mencken

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants.
                          William Pitt-

Comment

Originally posted by nrubenstein View Post
                            Being debt free in a time of historically low interest rates is silly.

Carry a comfortable debt load and invest the rest. You may sacrifice some short term piece of mind, but it'll make a huge difference when you retire. Debt free is better than debt crushed, but leverage is a tool that you should use.

Whether you get the E30 M3 or not is a separate question, but paying down debt only makes sense if you don't have better things to do. The only real reason why a paid down house makes sense for many people is that they will blow all their money if it isn't locked up in a relatively illiquid asset.
                            I respectfully disagree. I don't see how it would matter whether the rates were low or high, there is still a fee for borrowing the money for money that clearly i didn't have.

I want the freedom of knowing that i don't owe anything, and that anything i want and need can be purchased outright.

I guess what i'm saying that is i just don't understand why anyone would borrow to buy something that they clearly can't afford. The only reason i bought a house to begin with was due to the fact that interest plus utilities were still adding up less than us renting an 1 bedroom apartment.

Jon
                            Last edited by bimmerman89; 07-12-2014, 09:37 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by bimmerman89 View Post
                              I guess what i'm saying that is i just don't understand why anyone would borrow to buy something that they clearly can't afford. The only reason i bought a house to begin with was due to the fact that interest plus utilities were still adding up less than us renting an 1 bedroom apartment.

Jon
                              That said, you clearly can afford it as you have posited this scenario. I agree that a lot of people over extend themselves, but nrubenstein is correct. Financial security isn't the absence of debt, it's the proper leveraging of the debt you have. Will the e30 M3 continue it's incredible price increase over the next few years? If you think so, then it might be worth it. You have to balance interest rates vs appreciation/depreciation vs inflation/deflation.
                              Some of these are speculation, but regardless any investment is a risk.
                              88 325is - S52 powered

Originally posted by King Arthur
                              We'll not risk another frontal assault, that rabbit's dynamite!

Comment

I'd go for it. Life's too short, get your dream car while you still can for a decent price. E30 M3's have been skyrocketing in price over the last decade.

Comment

Working...
                                X