Bought a diesel hauler

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Vtec?lol
    replied
    behind the parking brake

    Leave a comment:


  • graveshaker
    replied
    Originally posted by Jaxx_
    chip tuners cannot give you a tune that is on the ragged edge for your application. They have to dial it back because of the variances between motors as they age, and when they were built. If you tune the limit of one car's engine, it may not be exactly the same for another car of the same model. At the so called "really custom tune" level, even the amount of carbon build up can effect horsepower potential. You can only do this tuning by putting your exact car on a dyno.

    The regular "custom tune" portion is a tune that they can estimate a safe margin but only down to the modifications of the motor--such as an intake, cam, or downpipe. In reality, this is not a custom tune at all. It's just the same concept as the "canned tune."

    A "canned tune" is one that is made with a large safety margin(although not as large as factory) to give better performance, but will also work with almost all cars out there. Even if grandma or a lead-foot 16 year old decides to chip their motor, they can use the same canned tune.


    I like the truck--it's sick. The side mounted(floating if you will) seat design is pretty cool.
    Never noticed the floating seat. I had to look at the pick again, it do look pretty sweet. I'm going to go with the "custom tune" using the 16 position chip. I hope a have enough information on my setup to get the most from the custom tune. I just have to figure out which of the 21 tunes I'll add to my 16 positions. One tune I like is the decel tune which acts like an exhaust brake to slow the truck down.

    Leave a comment:


  • Jaxx_
    replied
    Originally posted by graveshaker
    Ok now I'm more confused, joking. That's exactly what I got from the canned tunes, custom tune comparison. After visiting DP Tunes sight I'll have to input my PCM serial number in order to play around with tune options and cost. I really didn't want to pull the PCM just to get an idea of the cost to tune. But I understand the purpose of this. What's the best way to access the PCM, wheel well or behind the parking brake?
    chip tuners cannot give you a tune that is on the ragged edge for your application. They have to dial it back because of the variances between motors as they age, and when they were built. If you tune the limit of one car's engine, it may not be exactly the same for another car of the same model. At the so called "really custom tune" level, even the amount of carbon build up can effect horsepower potential. You can only do this tuning by putting your exact car on a dyno.

    The regular "custom tune" portion is a tune that they can estimate a safe margin but only down to the modifications of the motor--such as an intake, cam, or downpipe. In reality, this is not a custom tune at all. It's just the same concept as the "canned tune."

    A "canned tune" is one that is made with a large safety margin(although not as large as factory) to give better performance, but will also work with almost all cars out there. Even if grandma or a lead-foot 16 year old decides to chip their motor, they can use the same canned tune.


    I like the truck--it's sick. The side mounted(floating if you will) seat design is pretty cool.

    Leave a comment:


  • graveshaker
    replied
    Originally posted by Vtec?lol
    The NAPA filter actually flows with very little to no resistance and keeps the air as clean as the oem. Everyone swears it's better than the K&N and oem.

    The TS chips are confusing but whatever you get will basically be custom canned tunes.
    You'll want a chip to wake up those tasty mods you have. I'm pretty sure if the PO had all that stuff done then you'll probably have a 17* HPOP and upgraded injectors.

    Once you get the chip, turn it all the way to extreme. You'll thank me later.


    ""Canned Tune: Mass produced tunes loaded onto general market hardware - Banks, Bully, Edge, SuperChip. These are bad and you will be mocked if you own them. They hold no place in the market.

    Custom Tune: PHP, DP, others... Where they have the ability to put more trial and error resources into, and change variables in, their canned tunes. Customer then chooses the specific canned tunes they want. These are good and you are automatically in "the club" if you own them. These are the only products people should buy.

    Really Custom Tune: Live tuning. This is what the people in "the club" think they have, but in reality, they just have a slightly more customized canned tune. Custom tuning starts with a base tune and then tweaks it specifically for your vehicle, on site."" -Powerstroke.org
    Ok now I'm more confused, joking. That's exactly what I got from the canned tunes, custom tune comparison. After visiting DP Tunes sight I'll have to input my PCM serial number in order to play around with tune options and cost. I really didn't want to pull the PCM just to get an idea of the cost to tune. But I understand the purpose of this. What's the best way to access the PCM, wheel well or behind the parking brake?

    Leave a comment:


  • Vtec?lol
    replied
    The NAPA filter actually flows with very little to no resistance and keeps the air as clean as the oem. Everyone swears it's better than the K&N and oem.

    The TS chips are confusing but whatever you get will basically be custom canned tunes.
    You'll want a chip to wake up those tasty mods you have. I'm pretty sure if the PO had all that stuff done then you'll probably have a 17* HPOP and upgraded injectors.

    Once you get the chip, turn it all the way to extreme. You'll thank me later.


    ""Canned Tune: Mass produced tunes loaded onto general market hardware - Banks, Bully, Edge, SuperChip. These are bad and you will be mocked if you own them. They hold no place in the market.

    Custom Tune: PHP, DP, others... Where they have the ability to put more trial and error resources into, and change variables in, their canned tunes. Customer then chooses the specific canned tunes they want. These are good and you are automatically in "the club" if you own them. These are the only products people should buy.

    Really Custom Tune: Live tuning. This is what the people in "the club" think they have, but in reality, they just have a slightly more customized canned tune. Custom tuning starts with a base tune and then tweaks it specifically for your vehicle, on site."" -Powerstroke.org

    Leave a comment:


  • graveshaker
    replied
    Originally posted by Vtec?lol
    I've got the same body style but a one ton longbed. Gotta love the beefier Dana60 front axle.

    Do yourself a favor and go to NAPA and ask for a 6637 airfilter. This will replace the original and flow A TON better and sound really nice whilst doing it.

    Second must do mod is to go the stealer ship and get a new cam sensor. Yours will die soon unless it's blue.

    Next must do is convert it to electric fuel delivery. Or get a 6-position chip.

    I did all of this to mine the fist week I had it and for cheap. Totally different truck.

    My high mileage rig:

    The TS 6-position chips is the most confusing to me. I'm not sure if should go with canned tunes or custom tunes. I've read DS tunes tech articles and it still seem their tunes are canned too?

    I just spent $28 replacing the K&N filter with an OEM one. Do the napa filter mod have any benefit besides noise?

    Leave a comment:


  • Vtec?lol
    replied
    I've got the same body style but a one ton longbed. Gotta love the beefier Dana60 front axle.

    Do yourself a favor and go to NAPA and ask for a 6637 airfilter. This will replace the original and flow A TON better and sound really nice whilst doing it.

    Second must do mod is to go the stealer ship and get a new cam sensor. Yours will die soon unless it's blue.

    Next must do is convert it to electric fuel delivery. Or get a 6-position chip.

    I did all of this to mine the fist week I had it and for cheap. Totally different truck.

    My high mileage rig:

    Leave a comment:


  • F34R
    replied

    Leave a comment:


  • jakeb
    replied
    Nice score...I have the same thing as a tow rig. 97 f250, crew cab, short box. You will love it.

    Leave a comment:


  • bmwstudent
    replied
    Well done, correct upgrades, nice truck!

    Leave a comment:


  • rcsoundn1
    replied
    Def nice looking. This can be a great way to snag a clean truck. GL with it

    Leave a comment:


  • M-technik-3
    replied
    Nice condition most of that age are rotted in the cabin area excessively. IDI engines are durable and sought after. Too bad the alcoa's are gone.

    Leave a comment:


  • dirtbag30
    replied
    dang thats clean, wont find something like that up here.

    Leave a comment:


  • AwakenNoMore
    replied
    That's a sweet deal. It looks like a fun hauler for sure.

    Leave a comment:


  • graveshaker
    replied
    Originally posted by Steveb68
    Crew cab short beds in that body style are highly sought after. Should hold value well.
    I agree. The seller was very vague on his craigs ad. He descibed the rig in a couple sentences and didn't elaborate on the Banks system. 1997 never came intercooled and he failed to mention that this 97' has a Banks intercooler. He financed it months earlier later realizing he wanted out of a car note. He took a lose and I paid the balance owed.

    Leave a comment:

Working...