#parents' car stories

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Exodus_2pt0
    replied
    ^ lol I've replaced my fair share of Nissan CVT transmissions still under warranty.

    Leave a comment:


  • jalopi
    replied
    I'm no trans guy, but I did work in a shop that had a trans 'section'. By and far volvos were the worst of the non-'murican cars as far as being in the shop for trans work goes. At least that's what I saw anyway. Guess it's a good tie for the CVT nissans

    Leave a comment:


  • freeride53
    replied
    I wasn't questioning Aisin, was I?

    Leave a comment:


  • Stanley Rockafella
    replied
    Originally posted by freeride53
    Quick summary: Ford/Volvo (Fjord?) comissioned Aisin to build them a geartronic (auto/man) transmission for thier S/V/XC70 models. They conciously cut-corners on costs and equipped their cars with cheap trannys with the "that'll do" attitude.
    o rly?



    p.s. Aisin(warner) has built some of the most reliable auto transmissions ever built as found in several Volvo's (both auto and manual)from the 70's and 80's as well as Toyota (Lexus), and MB's.

    Leave a comment:


  • jalopi
    replied
    Originally posted by freeride53
    Fjord?
    This is what imma start calling all the early 90's to mid 2000's volvos now

    Leave a comment:


  • freeride53
    replied
    Originally posted by Stanley Rockafella
    that's not what freeride said
    It is not! Ford owned Volvo from the late 90s through several years ago.
    It is now owned by Geely, a Chinese automotive giant. From what I've heard, they're actually doing better now. Also, their cars just started to look decent to me again.

    Originally posted by Jb325is
    My parents bought a V70 Turbo wagon in 1998 and it was the best car our family ever owned.
    Wouldn't doubt it! The X70, or 1st gen S70/V70/C70 was a much more reliable car. It's underpinnings were essentially that of the 850, which was pre-Ford. Also, the tech was much simpler on em - no fancy/underengineered geartronic trannies.

    [quote=SubDad;4218894]Quote:
    But OP, your first post includes a "money shot from high school shenanigans."

    It shows your parent's car at the bottom of a gravel slope. How fast did it get there, and how did it get back up?
    quote]

    You surely would think so! But not really. If I ever went hard on the car, it'd be revving it up on the freeways. Dat turbo lag.

    This photo was just me parking at a hiking trail head like a d-bag.
    Just thought that it was funny that I was able to get it to 3-wheel.
    Circa junior year of high school.

    Originally posted by NitroRustlerDriver
    Most of the problems in this thread sound like they came about due to little or no preventative maintenance.
    .
    Sadly, my dad is super on-it when it comes to maintaining his cars. Which makes it even more pathetic on Volvo's end for building a poorly engineered car. This model has had thousands of owners complain about the transmission.

    Quick summary: Ford/Volvo (Fjord?) comissioned Aisin to build them a geartronic (auto/man) transmission for thier S/V/XC70 models. They conciously cut-corners on costs and equipped their cars with cheap trannys with the "that'll do" attitude.

    Leave a comment:


  • Stanley Rockafella
    replied
    Originally posted by Kevinl
    they dont
    that's not what freeride said

    Leave a comment:


  • jalopi
    replied
    My dad's camel and, of course, is compelled by nature to drive FWD toyota vehicles. Only stupid car stories in my house are mine and I allllwaaayyys have to hear about why I shouldn't have bought a "Bring-Money-Withyou"

    Leave a comment:


  • Kevinl
    replied
    Originally posted by Stanley Rockafella
    wow

    never knew Ford still owns Volvo
    they dont

    Leave a comment:


  • Stanley Rockafella
    replied
    Originally posted by freeride53
    The problematic cars all come from era in which volvo was under fords ownership.
    wow

    never knew Ford still owns Volvo

    Leave a comment:


  • AndrewBird
    replied
    Most of the problems in this thread sound like they came about due to little or no preventative maintenance. My parents (my dad anyway, he takes care of the cars) is the exact opposite and does 2000K mile oil changes and transmission services at 10K. But hey, both their cars still run like new and are 10+ years old, so...

    My dad drives a 2005 Ram 1500 and my mom drives a 2002 Focus just for reference.

    Leave a comment:


  • lukeADE335i
    replied
    No crazyness here... Both My parents have e30s! Mum a 320i 4 door, Dad a 327i 2 door - both bought after they drove my e30 :)


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

    Leave a comment:


  • Kevinl
    replied
    Originally posted by Hooffenstein HD
    The issue is automatic transmissions. The worst thing to ever happen to the automotive industry, or best if you own an auto repair shop.
    Ding Ding Ding

    AND

    BMW touts these flappy paddle gearboxes but nobody buys one used because they will take a shit and cost you dearly I'd rather be a couple tenth's slower and shift a reliable transmission my self

    Leave a comment:


  • Hooffenstein HD
    replied
    The issue is automatic transmissions. The worst thing to ever happen to the automotive industry, or best if you own an auto repair shop.

    Leave a comment:


  • Jb325is
    replied
    My parents bought a V70 Turbo wagon in 1998 and it was the best car our family ever owned. The transmission was finally starting to slip at 295k miles when they sold it last year, my dad wanted to 6 speed swap it but my mom wanted an Acura. I don't think it had any mechanical issues the whole time they had it. I used to drive it around a lot in high school (i.e thrashing it mercilessly doing e-brake turns and burnouts) without a hiccup

    My dad always had cool/modded cars when I was young. I remember an mk1 GTi, Henna e21 320is, 1st gen Prelude... Then they all got boring after that.

    Leave a comment:

Working...