Computer issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Computer issue

I keep having a problem with my desktop and it's getting very annoying. It seems like almost every day, right in the middle of doing something the computer will just shut down, then when it comes back up it says tht windows recovered a seriose error and says the error was a window stop error cuased by a unknown device driver. Any ideas how to fix it?
    85 325e 2.7 ITB'd stroker

Originally posted by rs4pro3
    I keep having a problem with my desktop and it's getting very annoying. It seems like almost every day, right in the middle of doing something the computer will just shut down, then when it comes back up it says tht windows recovered a seriose error and says the error was a window stop error cuased by a unknown device driver. Any ideas how to fix it?
    Your only real option is to do a clean install of Windows. Windows error messages are so vague it's a joke though not as bad as Mac errors.

Comment

That is a vague error message. I would back-up all of your stuff in the event that this continues to the point at which you re-install Windows. If it weren't for the error message, I would be inclined to say that your power suppy could be shorting out on you, but that could also be caused by a certain number of static charges inside the case.

Comment

Have you added any new software/hardware lately?

Comment

not lately, I went threw the windows diagnosis and it recomended uninstalling anything recent. At first I thought it was related to using USB devices, as after plugging them in sometimes it would then shut down, but yesterday I pulled up autocad and it shut off.

Comment

well started the computer this morning and got a Hardware failure error, it said it was more then likley cuased by one of the following
            * Random Access Memory (RAM)
            * System board
            * Central Processing Unit (CPU)
            * Power supply

Yesterday, the printer wouldn't respond at all till I restarted the computer even though it showed the printer was online. I guese I'll start backing up everything right now just incase.

Comment

Start off with recording the error in detail. Usually there is a numeric number code that comes along with each error. That should help to start.

USUALLY, its something using the reserved memory address of something else that is mission critical. Often its a driver issue. Very rarely is it actually the fault of the controller.
              Im now E30less.
              sigpic

Comment

OMG BUY A MAC

Or, more realistically, start by running chkdsk. Do a full low level scan. Often times this is as simple as a bad sector or two on the HD. After that, try removing memory. Pull one of the chips and run the PC for a bit, see if you can recreate the error. If you can't recreate the issue with one of the chips out, you can usually point the finger at dying ram.

-Charlie
                Swing wild, brake later, don't apologize.
                '89 324d, '76 02, '98 318ti, '03 Z4, '07 MCS, '07 F800s - Bonafide BMW elitist prick.
                FYYFF

Comment

Originally posted by Charlie
                  OMG BUY A MAC
                  What so you can get even more obscure error messages? :)

Comment

Originally posted by arsevader
                    What choo talkin bout willis? They bee immune.
                    Im now E30less.
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by arsevader
                      DO NOT DEFAME THE GOOD NAME OF THE SAD MAC ICON.

-Charlie
                      Swing wild, brake later, don't apologize.
                      '89 324d, '76 02, '98 318ti, '03 Z4, '07 MCS, '07 F800s - Bonafide BMW elitist prick.
                      FYYFF

Comment

Comment

The terrorist mac icon with the bomb is the best.

SILBER COMBAT UNIT DELTA (M-Technic Marshal)
                          RTFM:http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=56950

Comment

Originally posted by Ray Smoodiver
                            The terrorist mac icon with the bomb is the best.

Comment

I ran the chkdsk, and on the second of 3 scans it said it was restoring a lost file.

Comment

Working...
                              X