Chevy Blazer 5 speed atrocious fuel economy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by anabolice30 View Post
    Cherokees are relatively expensive where I live, and absolutely all beat up. For 1200 I could get a rusted auto 2wd cherokee MAYBE
    where do you live? most 4WD/AWD cars here are expensive because of the ski community. i just shopped heavily and found a good deal on something with a solid engine that needed a bunch of random small things

1989 Coupe build thread: http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=312012
    IG: @mitchlikesbikes

Comment

Originally posted by anabolice30 View Post
      ^one I'm looking at has 199k miles and the dude is asking 1750. 5 speed 4x4, 1999. I just see people commentijg in them as if they go through ball bearings, teanmissuons, fuel pumps, water pumps, and heater cores as if they were oil changes.
      well for the money you cant really beat that with a stick a similar mileage 4runner is going to be at least pushing double that.

That said yup GM 90's fuel pump. Common failure, put a GM pump back in and your good for another 100k, use the auto zone/orilies or similar cheap out pump, your going to be putting a new one in it in the near future.

:Water pumps, really..... I think I have changed one on any of my families GM trucks we have had a lot of them over the years. Its cheap and takes about 35 mins to do.

:Trans, your looking at a 5spd no need to worry about the dreaded 4l60E TCC code popping up.

:Heater core, is a PIA job, but its not all that hard. I never had one fail in my trucks but I did put 1 in a couple of my buddies.

:Front hubs are stupid simple to change out, but I think their failure rate is exacerbated by this fact. The center axle nut has a preload of 148ft/lbs IIRC (maybe thats for FWD cars and the S10's are about 105) and its picky about that. Most people dont have a torque wrench that goes that high and if they do its not accurate, so most Joe shade tree guys use he PFT (pretty fuckin tight) + 1/4 turn method to tighten the axle nut which leads to a very premature hub bearing failure. Again this is also coming down to people buying the economy grade replacement parts, buy OEM or equivalent and you dont have as many issues I have a hub thats making racket on our 99 Tahoe (my back country bomber) and its got 128k on it, is 15 years old and is ORIGINAL to the truck, and has been a northern truck all its life, with salt, mag chloride, in the winters and lots back county and 2 track running the rest of the year since we have had it.... I will be doing both sides here in the next week or so, with OEM hubs, I dont want to have to do them ever again

Most of the things you mentioned are common failures from a GM unit from this time period, thats why you see it mentioned all the time, its because all of them will need this at some point, though if you keep up with your coolant flushes you can all but eliminate a heater core blow out..

If your friend has decently maintained this thing you should be ok for the most part other than things you would expect to fail at 200k miles or 100k mile intervals.
      Last edited by mrsleeve; 10-10-2014, 07:41 PM.
      Originally posted by Fusion
      If a car is the epitome of freedom, than an electric car is house arrest with your wife titty fucking your next door neighbor.
      The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money. -Alexis de Tocqueville

The Desire to Save Humanity is Always a False Front for the Urge to Rule it- H. L. Mencken

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants.
      William Pitt-

Comment

Originally posted by mitchlikesbikes View Post
        where do you live? most 4WD/AWD cars here are expensive because of the ski community. i just shopped heavily and found a good deal on something with a solid engine that needed a bunch of random small things
        Tennessee, I think people are using them for rock crawling or something.

Thanks Sleeve, that is actually pretty reassuring.

Comment

Get a TABLAZIKON... Mid 90's fullsize Chevy Blazer, GMC Yukon 2 door.

Comment

Originally posted by BLACKCHARM88 View Post
            Get a TABLAZIKON... Mid 90's fullsize Chevy Blazer, GMC Yukon 2 door.
            Serious question, do you have autism? All I see you post is image macros, and dumb stuff like that.

Comment

No, I just don't give 2000 fucks most of the time.

Comment

Working...
              X