No announcement yet.

Calling the Mini guys, pre-purchase analysis

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Never heard a good thing about buying a pre-owned car w/o a warranty from a dealer..

Comment

Bmw wanted mini's to be authentic with British reliability terrible little cars
      1989 BMW 325is Lachsilber metallic 5 speed
      2007 BMW 335i KARMESINROT 6 Speed manual
      2011 BMW X5 35I

Comment

Originally posted by Zreberlcoe View Post
        Ahh I see. Can you do a ppi on a dealership car? I also should add the dealership will be replacing tires/windshield, and doing a detail upon purchasing.
        Just terrible practice, says a lot about the dealer to me. Why would you show a car that needs all this, and not just do the work? A dealer I used to work for did the same thing because the used car manager did not want to spend the money until the car was sold, but would put cars on the lot you could not test drive for safety reasons.

Comment

Along with the maintenance items already mentioned, have him pop off the plastic door sill plates and check for rust. Moisture likes to collect under those.
          Current: 2011 M3
          Retired: 1986 325e, 1991 318i, 1991 325ic, 1992 325ic, 1998 528i, 2002 325xiT, 2003 530i, 2005 325xiT, 2008 335i

Comment

Enjoy your water pump replacements.
            1989 BMW 325is | 2019 Ford Ranger FX4
            willschnitz

Comment

This sounds scary.
              1991 325i Calypso Coupe

Like Grandfather, Like Father, Like Son
              BMW

Comment

They're not altogether bad cars, but they do need a lot of love...and money. I'd stay the hell away from that beater at the dealer though.
                sigpic

2014 GTI | 2002 Land Cruiser | 1991 Volvo 745t

Comment

Originally posted by ajhostetter View Post
                  They're not altogether bad cars, but they do need a lot of love...and money. I'd stay the hell away from that beater at the dealer though.

Why is it a beater?
                  1991 325i Calypso Coupe

BMW

Comment

I'm judging by simple appearances, but that looks pretty rough for a 64K mile car. Anyway, as funfgan said, unless it has all the service history and everything is documented, it's a car to pass one. I know enough from an old job at a dealership in PA that when they toss a dirty car on the lot for a low-ish price, it's an attempt to punt a piece of shit.
                    sigpic

2014 GTI | 2002 Land Cruiser | 1991 Volvo 745t

Comment

Ajhostetter, thank you for the insight! I have noticed that you can click on the carfax link on the side of the page.

Here's the link: http://www.carfax.com/VehicleHistory...RE33566TL19828

It's not too descriptive but I'm going to have a list of things he needs to ask and for him to check out.

Anyone know what this means on the carfax "Drivability/performance checked"? It's on the 4th owner at 10/01/2013
                      1991 325i Calypso Coupe

BMW

Comment

Unless the dealer has all of the maintenance records I would pass on it. From what I've seen (My parents have an 06 S model) these things are hit or miss. Theirs has only had minor issues like a bad rear hatch wiper motor, worn brakes around 60k miles, new tires at 50k, pretty average stuff. However, I've spoken to people that have had miserable experiences with suspension pieces and the cooling system on these.

Without maintenance records you can't really judge and you'd be going in blind, which could cost you a whole bunch, simply a gamble. Plus 4 owners in 7 years is a bit much, seems to lean toward a car that has some issues.

Comment

i fucking hate getting out of minis, their doors are a mile long
                          sigpic

Comment

"musts" maintenance:
                            power steering pump/line/fan
                            control arm bushings
                            pulley tensioner
                            thermostat and thermostat gasket
                            superchargers go bad on earlier models but 05-06 are better
                            also the gearing on the 05-06 are better
                            window motors get sticky but with a fonzy bump they start back up
                            mushroomed strut towers
                            auxiliary fan relay
                            radiator
                            coil packs corrode quickly

good mods:
                            15-17% supercharger pulley reduction
                            coilovers: kw, bilstein pss9's, h&r. megan's are ok
                            camber plates are a must if canyon carver
                            rear control arms for more adjustability over the limited eccentric based OEM
                            JCW intake (stay away from cold air intakes, there are a few write ups with tests and they provide no advantages or changes)
                            GP intercooler if you can get a hold of one
                            rear sway bar

bads:
                            they have rattley interiors
                            windshields crack easily
                            seats get stuck
                            aftermarket exhausts tend to drone

fun to drive and very forgiving when you're too aggressive, easy to save.
                            sounds like a lot of bs but kind of like an e46 in regards to maintenance and costs
                            sigpic

Comment

So come Friday my brother will give the dealership a call when he has the time to ask for a ppi. I've let him know that if they refuse then he will keep looking. And if the car checks out ten take it! The guy doing the ppi is a friend of our dads who builds mini race cars and what not so it won't be some random shop.
                              1991 325i Calypso Coupe

BMW

Comment

Ah!! I forgot to get back to you guys! So my brother ended up getting the car without doing the ppi! But he was told by an over qualified mini mechanic what exactly to look for and it turned out to be a gem! The day after purchase he brought the car to said mechanic and they went over it on the life and for even more conformation he said it was a solid find! So apparently the car came out to not be the POS we thought it was!
                                1991 325i Calypso Coupe

BMW

Comment

Working...
                                X