Off topic Ford Explorer help....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So my girlfriend put me up to the task of fixing her rear windshield wiper for her 2000 ford explorer eddie bauer. I went through all the fuses and they look good. I don't really want to tear apart her car unless I know it's the motor or switch. So does anyone know of any common problems with the rear windshield wiper? Or if I got to the motor how I would check it? I'm in the dorms so I have very limited access to tools. I checked the wiring in the tailgate and the wires don't seem pinched or anything. I know this is R3v, but I at least had the decency to put something Ford in the off topic lounge.
    1991 325i Calypso Coupe

Like Grandfather, Like Father, Like Son
    BMW

These are the ones where the back body work under the glass always splits? Yankees googled. That is the one.

Upon further inspection, it is likely totally rusted out. And I recall a piece of the wiper assembly is actually attached through the glass.

It seems there is a safety switch among other moving parts which prevents the wiper from working if the glass is lifted.

Rotted out. Start digging in there and figure out what your problem is. Definitely a known issue. All Explorers have that split body work.
    ACS S3 Build / Dinan 5 E34

Comment

Ahh thanks for giving me a direction to start in! Being an E30 guy I don't know shit😑
      1991 325i Calypso Coupe

BMW

Comment

Me neither. BIL had one. Dealt with that same issue this year.
        ACS S3 Build / Dinan 5 E34

Comment

ditch the ford and get an e30
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by cgk_iii View Post
            ditch the ford and get an e30

I convinced her to get one in the future.

Alright so The little glass window sensor seems fine. The motor on the other hand I had to slap a couple times to get it cranking and it's got some grease covering it. I believe a replacement is in order for it to work without any fuckin around.

I saw Rosy getting a little jealous as I worked on the exploder.
            Last edited by Zreberlcoe; 11-06-2014, 04:34 PM.
            1991 325i Calypso Coupe

BMW

Comment

Well the motor needs at least 2 wires feeding into it via a plug of some sort. Probably three wires if it is a variable speed rear wiper. Off Low High .

So what you could do if you had a multimeter to further determine that the motor is the issue. Take the plug off the motor. Turn the key to ACC position. Then turn the rear wiper on. Use the Red lead from the multimeter and probe one of the contacts on the interior of the plug . Does not matter which one. Take the Black lead and place that on a good ground. Exposed paint , chassis , bolt that is not painted . Then set the scale on the multimeter to greater than 12 volts DC. Thats DC not AC. So if the meter can be set to 20 volts DC great. Look at the meter and determine if there is 12 volts or greater on the area that you probed with the RED lead. If not continue on to the remaining leads on the plug. Probe each one while keeping the black lead on GROUND. One of the leads you probe must have 12 volts being supplied. If not then your problem is not the motor. If so then clean the contacts on the plug and also on the motor where that plugs into and reattach.

Dont spend money needlessly shotgunning what you believe may be a bad motor just because its dirty or greasy and unpresantable.

Most places will not take back motors and electrical parts if they have been installed.

Comment

Originally posted by e30vert View Post
                Well the motor needs at least 2 wires feeding into it via a plug of some sort. Probably three wires if it is a variable speed rear wiper. Off Low High .

So what you could do if you had a multimeter to further determine that the motor is the issue. Take the plug off the motor. Turn the key to ACC position. Then turn the rear wiper on. Use the Red lead from the multimeter and probe one of the contacts on the interior of the plug . Does not matter which one. Take the Black lead and place that on a good ground. Exposed paint , chassis , bolt that is not painted . Then set the scale on the multimeter to greater than 12 volts DC. Thats DC not AC. So if the meter can be set to 20 volts DC great. Look at the meter and determine if there is 12 volts or greater on the area that you probed with the RED lead. If not continue on to the remaining leads on the plug. Probe each one while keeping the black lead on GROUND. One of the leads you probe must have 12 volts being supplied. If not then your problem is not the motor. If so then clean the contacts on the plug and also on the motor where that plugs into and reattach.

Dont spend money needlessly shotgunning what you believe may be a bad motor just because its dirty or greasy and unpresantable.

Most places will not take back motors and electrical parts if they have been installed.
                Luckily i happen to have a multimeter! I learned how to use it in physics class last year but I'm not too talented at it, but I'll certainly do that before going any farther!
                1991 325i Calypso Coupe

BMW

Comment

Working...
                X