What would you do in this stiuation?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What would you do in this stiuation?

I have a good a friend of mine who's a bit older than me and runs a catering business.

After I started working for him, I kinda noticed how I'd be put into interesting situations where I could take extra cash, or other personal incentives, but i declined. In particular situation at the first function i was a few minutes late and when it came time to sign out, his wife was going to sign me out as arriving on time and I corrected her and said I was about 15 minutes late. She blew it off like it didn't matter, but I stuck by the truth, even if it meant getting less money.

Earlier this summer I was working at a function where the wedding planner (of our catering company) forgot to get ice for about 150 ppl. Since I was one of the few ppl. who had a car and was available to get ice from a nearby gas station, I offered to go. By buddy (the owner) asked if I had any cash. I said i didnt' but had no problem putting it on my credit card. He insisted I take his card and pay for it. He even went so far as to give me his PIN number to it so I could make the purchase.
    Turns out I was blocked into the parking lot, so he and I went to get ice later when the wedding died down a bit. I still had the card, and when we got to the station, he never asked for it, but I gave it to him before we got into the store. I could tell he noticed, but didnt' say anything.

I haven't worked for him for a couple of months so i was kinda surprised yesterday to find a check in the mail for a pay period I didn't work.
    I texted him mentioning that I got a check i don't think belongs to me as it's for a pay period that I never worked. I also asked him if he'd like me to return it.

I haven't heard back from him since i sent the text. I know he read it, as he always has his phone on him.

What would you do? cash it? junk it? I dont' wanna seem like a dick for not taking his "gift" to me, but then again i dont' wanna short someone who was supposed to get the money.
    If it's got tits or tires, it's gonna cost ya!

Its not taking when its being given. He's trying to take can of someone reliable, you.
    i'lldoitforacaravan

Comment

Sit on the check for a week and wait for a reply.

Comment

AS far as the 15 min, I would have made it known that you were a little behind, but taken the 15min of pay and thanked them for their generosity. The card/PIN ice run thing, seems like a show of trust and take that as a complement that your friend and employer thinks of you as a trust worthy person.

The check for time not worked on the other hand you are acting accordingly, I would have done just what you have and what farb is suggesting, by sitting on it. If he really wants to pay you for time you didnt work thats fine it just needs to be structured differently in the from of a end of year bonus or "vacation" check. And logged into both of your books as such.
        Originally posted by Fusion
        If a car is the epitome of freedom, than an electric car is house arrest with your wife titty fucking your next door neighbor.
        The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money. -Alexis de Tocqueville

The Desire to Save Humanity is Always a False Front for the Urge to Rule it- H. L. Mencken

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants.
        William Pitt-

Comment

Call him and ask him about it, in the time it took you to write that novel you would have had your answer.

Comment

Agree with all ^^
            As an employer, if a bonus is given, it is 100% known as that, it would never be mistaken for hours or anything else.

Comment

Yea sit on it for a few days. Maybe try giving him a call or another text.

1989 325is l 1984 euro 320i l 1970 2002 Racecar
              1991 318i 4dr slick top

Euro spec 320i/Alpina B6 3.5 project(the never ending saga)
              Vintage race car revival (2002 content)
              Mtech 2 turbo restoration
              Brilliantrot slick top "build"

Comment

is it a handwritten check? if so add another Zero?

Comment

Originally posted by Farbin Kaiber View Post
                  Sit on the check for a week and wait for a reply.

Qft

e24 e9 e30
                  IG: peterkaczynski

Comment

Working...
                  X