No announcement yet.

Hey you electronics DIY people Radioshack sounds DEAD

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I went to radio shack a few times when I was building a mega squirt. The employees were useless. They did have the LED's I needed though.

Comment

Wait for store closing sale.

Go in, buy everything in the component drawers.

Open store

????

Profit.
      1974.5 Jensen Healey : 2003 330i/5

Comment

No surprises there. Their original core business of electronic components died out many years ago, and they weren't going to make up for that by selling cell phones and cables that you can get online for quite literally 95% less.

case in point: when Luke and I were installing the new stereo in my e46, we needed an RCA extension cable about 2' long. I pop in to RS and look for one, but no dice. They had a 6' male-to-male RCA cable, which I then had to buy a female-female adapter for so that I could use it as an extension. But you can't buy just the female-female adapter, it comes in a package with a male-male adapter too! So $19 later I have an over-complicated and extra-long RCA extension cable.

That same cable is $0.63 from monoprice. SIXTY THREE FUCKING CENTS: http://www.monoprice.com/Product?c_i...seq=1&format=2

Of course they're fucking going out of business.

Comment

I just used them a few times for building my tube amp. I feel bad because the employees that I dealt with have been there for a long time and knew their shit. Like someone else said, great when you were in a pinch.
          Build Threads:
          Pamela/Bella/Betty/325ix/5-Lug Seta/S60R/Miata ITB/Miata Turbo/Miata VVT/951/325xi-6

Comment

Originally posted by slammin.e28 View Post
            Go in, buy everything in the component drawers.
            Screw that. I want the drawers themselves. Those things are sweet (Well not with the way they have them divided up)

I don't know what they could have done to survive. Part of the problem is that we don't fix things anymore, we just throw our DVD player out and go buy a blueray. It use to be that when your TV stopped working, you'd go buy a new vacuum tube.

I guess they could have tried to become a competitor to Best Buy, but they are just a show room for online merchants.

Originally posted by frankenbeemer View Post
            I wonder if George Graves will miss Radio Shack?
            I keep almost everything I need on hand.

That's a standard sized tool chest for scale.

I will miss that awkward confrontation every time I step into a Radio Shack. "Can I help you?" - I just say, "oh, I think I can find it - thanks!" But what I really want to say is:

Originally posted by Matt-B
            hey does anyone know anyone who gets upset and makes electronics?

Comment

DX.com

Never overpay for stuff like that again. Shit ships straight from China in 5 days, it's pretty awesome if you know exactly what you're looking for.
              Drive it hard. Maintain it well.

Convertible Technical & Discussion
              A Topless Memorandum

Comment

Originally posted by mr2peak View Post
                DX.com

Never overpay for stuff like that again. Shit ships straight from China in 5 days, it's pretty awesome if you know exactly what you're looking for.
                gotta wonder about some of that stuff tho

If it's got tits or tires, it's gonna cost ya!

Comment

Originally posted by mr2peak View Post
                  DX.com

Never overpay for stuff like that again.
                  I think you want monoprice.com for cables and adapters (a whole lot more now....subs, speakers, headphones.

For electronic components, adafruit, mouser, digikey, sparkfun, ebay....

DX is Chinese crap built to the low price possible. And some of it is counterfeit, poorly made knock offs. There are very few things I buy from DX. And forget about getting anything around the Chinese new year.
                  Originally posted by Matt-B
                  hey does anyone know anyone who gets upset and makes electronics?

Comment

Originally posted by Stanley Rockafella View Post
                    gotta wonder about some of that stuff tho

http://www.dx.com/p/suoer-son-8251a-...6#.VLsueWfTmpo

Seems legit.

Comment

Originally posted by george graves View Post
                      I think you want monoprice.com for cables and adapters (a whole lot more now....subs, speakers, headphones.

For electronic components, adafruit, mouser, digikey, sparkfun, ebay....

DX is Chinese crap built to the low price possible. And some of it is counterfeit, poorly made knock offs. There are very few things I buy from DX. And forget about getting anything around the Chinese new year.

Parts express is good too!

Comment

Most RadioShacks are terrible, but the one near work is a godsend. Owned and staffed by a guy who is knowledgeable, stocks the right stuff, and cares. Stuffed into the bottom floor of a dimly lit house. None of this high-rent strip mall stuff for him. Old school, good school.

Comment

i used pacparts.com for a little piece for my mom's alpine cd canger, decent price, only place i could find the part at

--Mike
                          (OO=[][]=OO) For Life

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Burns View Post
                            messed up...

today Target in Canada is shutting it's doors, over 17000 will lose jobs.

The Sony Store is also shutting down....and now RadioShack?

damn
                            You mean I'm going to have to buy my same cheap shit from another giant? Say it ain't so.

Comment

I went into radioshack to look for a phone case. The two employees in there were having a blast flying this remote helicopter around. It made me happy because if I were an employee I would love that, but to a normal customer who doesn't know what they want I bet they would be like "Do I really have to deal with these 2 guys who don't care?" They were making their store look like a playground or something, not professional. Lack of management?
                              Last edited by e30onBBSs; 01-20-2015, 08:22 PM. Reason: clarification
                              BMW tech
                              Umass Amherst
                              05 wrx sti

Comment

I'm hoping my local RS closes so I can pick up a helicopter for cheap to fly around my apartment.

Now a 318ti

Comment

Working...
                                X