Computer/Laptop Specs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Computer/Laptop Specs

Hi there, tried searching but nothing came up.

Can you guys school me on Computer/Laptop Specs? I really don't know what and how certain specs affect performance.All I know is the bigger the better (16gb vs 4gb, i7 vs i3). People say "oh get the i7 quad core for a fast pc" while some say "get the 16gig ram" etc etc. Dual core vs Quad core...

When I use a computer, how can I say it has a good/bad processor (performance wise)? or it lacks RAM? or it needs its own dedicated graphics card? or its the internet connection that lags your pc.. What affects the fast start ups, or what makes them freeze when opening programs, etc.

Hope you guys can enlighten me. Pardon my ignorance on this, for you might see some more stupid questions that I would be posting if ever.

I've seen some articles online but they did not do much help.

Thanks,

James

are you being serious right now.

there is literally an official computer thread 2 posts above yours.

RAM is the current active memory. 16Gbs allows that many applications/operations to be run at the same time
    HDD is hard drive space that allows saving of information
    Designated GPU allows the CPU to focus more on raw power, as opposed to being split between processing and graphics.

These are the basics
    2014 Alpine White 335i MSport
    (Daily Driver)
    Full Mperformance Aero

2007 Black Sapphire Metallic E92 335i (6MT)
    KW V2 Coilovers
    VRSF Catless Downpipes

Comment

Lulz.

Comment

Originally posted by codyep3 View Post
        are you being serious right now.

there is literally an official computer thread 2 posts above yours.

RAM is the current active memory. 16Gbs allows that many applications/operations to be run at the same time
        HDD is hard drive space that allows saving of information
        Designated GPU allows the CPU to focus more on raw power, as opposed to being split between processing and graphics.

These are the basics
        Thanks for the basics. The link shows the specs and does not say what each does.

Comment

There is a TON of variables to consider and there is a TON of information pertaining to those variables.

Check out Linus Tech Tips on YouTube, there's a lot of good info there.

Here's a playlist for their videos that briefly explain numerous items pertaining to computers.

Originally posted by SpasticDwarf;n6449866
          Honestly I built it just to have a place to sit and listen to Hotline Bling on repeat.

Comment

thanks lambo, let me check that video out sir.

Comment

Working...
            X