Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Marklin license plate frame

Anyone know where I can get one?

A little backstory: my grandfather served in the air force way back when, and one time he brought home with him a little train set from Germany. Marklin isn't well known in the US but in Europe the name is synonymous with model trains. They're known for their super accurate models and unsurpassed build quality; they're not just a train set you put around the tree at Christmas. Anyway it's been a sort of family tradition, with his and my dad's train collections growing over the years. But ever since I moved out to the east coast I left all that stuff at home and more or less forgot about model trains.

Anyone from CT who's into BMWs has been to Pete's shop in Manchester. He's listed on the website as the tech guy for the CT chapter of BMWCCA. He's an old dude and his shop is full of crap but there is some cool stuff hidden beneath all that. Anyway, right next door is a nice (read: HUGE) hobby shop, and the entire second floor is trains. And they actually carry Marklin. This is when I put two and two together:

My grandpa's train set is from Germany. And my car is from Germany. I get it now. The solder in my gauge cluster has the EXACT same smell as my dad's train set. It's just one of those things.

So anyway, I'm over my San Jose Sharks license plate frame, and I was wondering if anyone know where I could get a Marklin plate frame. Because my car is, at its most fundamental level, a little German toy.

Also, on the way home I was thinking it would be nice to keep this car for a long, long time. :)

it's a Kenny Powers quote on wheels

Great idea, it's cool that it's something meaningful. Unless you've actually seen one, if that company didn't make frames you may just have to find someone to make one. There's plently of places where you can have a custom frame made
    '84 Alpine 325e (Gone)
    '91 Alpine 318i (Gone) Click Here
    '92 Alpine 325i Cabrio (Gone) Click Here
    '91 Alpine 318is

Comment

Originally posted by shameson View Post
      Great idea, it's cool that it's something meaningful. Unless you've actually seen one, if that company didn't make frames you may just have to find someone to make one. There's plently of places where you can have a custom frame made
      Thanks for the reply. I will have to look for one of those online companies. I've seen them before but wasn't sure if I could get the right font or upload a picture of the brand name. I guess US license plate accessories aren't high on the list of a German toy company, but you never know

Comment

I make custom plate frames. Aluminum, powder coated, laser engraved. I make them for the forums. Send me a PM if you're interested, we can work something out!

Comment

Thanks! I'll get something together and send you a few ideas!

Comment

Working...
          X