Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Value of '77 320i 4-speed with 55k original miles?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looking at a single-owner '77 320i with 55k miles and the asking price, $6500, seems high to me, particularly for a 4-speed. (It's in immaculate condition, though.) I would offer $5-5.5 but I'm wondering if I'll be unsatisfied with a 4-speed. It would be for city driving and country roads, maybe even track in the future.

Thoughts from the experts?

Originally posted by Rooncicle View Post
    Looking at a single-owner '77 320i with 55k miles and the asking price, $6500, seems high to me, particularly for a 4-speed. (It's in immaculate condition, though.) I would offer $5-5.5 but I'm wondering if I'll be unsatisfied with a 4-speed. It would be for city driving and country roads, maybe even track in the future.

What color is it?

You will not enjoy the 4 speed, unless you do all city driving and not a lick of highway driving. Or unless you have a 3.46 differential. The 3.64 and a 4 speed is a bit buzzy at speed. I'd say pass. For $5500, I'd go for the least desirable BMW 2002, which is a 1976 variant. Yes you have to smog it, but it will maintain it's value much better than the first year e21 3 series. Trust me on this. I've owned three e21 cars and eight bmw 2002s.
    world renown Harry Potter expert
    sigpic

Comment

100% agree^

Just buy a 2002. I like e21's, but they will never be as popular or desired as 2002's.
      '84 Alpine 325e (Gone)
      '91 Alpine 318i (Gone) Click Here
      '92 Alpine 325i Cabrio (Gone) Click Here
      '91 Alpine 318is

Comment

I would buy an e21 because it's worth less than a 2002. That said, I wouldn't pay more than a grand or so for it and it'd probably need some work/customization

it's a Kenny Powers quote on wheels

Comment

Originally posted by Das Delfin View Post
          I would buy an e21 because it's worth less than a 2002. That said, I wouldn't pay more than a grand or so for it and it'd probably need some work/customization
          +1

I'd pay about 2000-3000 tops
          If it's got tits or tires, it's gonna cost ya!

Comment

Originally posted by phreshkid View Post
            What color is it?

You will not enjoy the 4 speed, unless you do all city driving and not a lick of highway driving. Or unless you have a 3.46 differential. The 3.64 and a 4 speed is a bit buzzy at speed. I'd say pass. For $5500, I'd go for the least desirable BMW 2002, which is a 1976 variant. Yes you have to smog it, but it will maintain it's value much better than the first year e21 3 series. Trust me on this. I've owned three e21 cars and eight bmw 2002s.
            It's black with tan interior.

Definitely trust you - that's a ton of BMWs! So would you say a cheap '83 e21 is easier to maintain and/or reliable than the '76 2002? Im interested in buying something that's ready to be driven without needing a ton of work upfront, but can be built out over the course of time. With that in mind, which is the better bet in your opinion?

Really love the classic look of the 2002s but a roadworthy, non-rust-bucket is hard to come by for under 7k in my area.

Comment

77 is first year of US spec, but that's not really all that special. It has the terrible early front suspension, but it also has the vented front brakes. I would say $1-3k depending on condition. For the price he is asking it better be a grey market car

Definitely trust you - that's a ton of BMWs! So would you say a cheap '83 e21 is easier to maintain and/or reliable than the '76 2002? Im interested in buying something that's ready to be driven without needing a ton of work upfront, but can be built out over the course of time. With that in mind, which is the better bet in your opinion?

Really love the classic look of the 2002s but a roadworthy, non-rust-bucket is hard to come by for under 7k in my area.

Don't get an 83 either unless it's a 323i, 320/6, or 320is. 80-82 are your preferred choices for US spec cars
              BMW Car Club of America # 427612

Comment

I've had one 82 320iS and two 83 320iS cars. Each was interesting in their own ways. I have yet to see a decent 320i/S without a hint of rust around the rear tail lights. E21 cars are notorious for rust in the trunk. Don't know why, but they are.

I'd stay away from the 77 320i because of the induction system alone. Though it's mechanical, it's a system not easily understood and is infinitely worse than tii kugelfisher injection, and l-jetronic injection of the early e30 318i. Nothing about the induction system is common sense. I hate it and would prefer to light the car on fire than attempt to fix it.

If you buy it, please don't pay more than $3k for it. It's not worth more than that.

Originally posted by Hermes View Post
                77 is first year of US spec, but that's not really all that special. It has the terrible early front suspension, but it also has the vented front brakes. I would say $1-3k depending on condition. For the price he is asking it better be a grey market car

Don't get an 83 either unless it's a 323i, 320/6, or 320is. 80-82 are your preferred choices for US spec cars
                Agreed. If it's an 03 or 04/83 build date, you get the less-desired G240 transmission. Most e21 and 02 guys are after the G245 trans. Don't shoot yourself in the foot with a 4 speed, or a late 5 speed. My two cents.
                sigpic

Comment

I've had one 82 320iS and two 83 320iS cars. Each was interesting in their own ways. I have yet to see a decent 320i/S without a hint of rust around the rear tail lights. E21 cars are notorious for rust in the trunk. Don't know why, but they are.

I'd stay away from the 77 320i because of the induction system alone. Though it's mechanical, it's a system not easily understood and is infinitely worse than tii kugelfisher injection, and l-jetronic injection of the early e30 318i. Nothing about the induction system is common sense. I hate it and would prefer to light the car on fire than attempt to fix it.

If you buy it, please don't pay more than $3k for it. It's not worth more than that.

Agreed. If it's an 03 or 04/83 build date, you get the less-desired G240 transmission. Most e21 and 02 guys are after the G245 trans. Don't shoot yourself in the foot with a 4 speed, or a late 5 speed. My two cents.
                  Good to know! So between the 02 and an 82 e21, which will be easier to maintain/find parts for, and more reliable when taken care of?

Comment

Reality: Today, an immaculate shell is more valuable than all the right mechanicals.

If what you want is an E21, then a low mile immaculate shell is a nice thing to have and you can tweak it to your liking.

That said, I would agree that unless you are specifically after an E21, it's probably not the first choice.
                    2006 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4WD LBZ/Allison
                    2002 BMW M3 Alpinweiß/Black
                    1999 323i GTS2 Alpinweiß
                    1995 M3 Dakargelb/Black
                    - S50B32/S6S420G/3.91
                    1990 325is Brilliantrot/Tan
                    1989 M3 Alpinweiß/Black

Hers: 1996 Porsche 911 Turbo Black/Black
                    Hers: 1988 325iX Coupe Diamantschwartz/Black 5spd

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by shameson View Post
                      100% agree^

Just buy a 2002. I like e21's, but they will never be as popular or desired as 2002's.
                      Do you still have the 318i? Would a '84 318i with 160k at $4000 be worthwhile? Could potentially be talked down to $3500

Comment

Go look at this, try to pay less

BMW Car Club of America # 427612

Comment

What color is it?

How easy is it to find parts for the 2002? I've found a 76 that looks to be in good condition aside from some minor repairs and is a good price. Checking it out next week, so I have time to research.

Comment

Price is $4900, by the way, but I may be able to go $4000. He says there are 95k on the odo, but I'm not sure if that's after the tranny & engine rebuilt or if that's the original mileage. Some rust poking through the door jam, but I can't tell if it's surface.

Pros
                            New: starter, tires-2013, ignition, heater control valve, engine mounts, drive belt, brakes, heater core, clutch master cylinder

Cons
                            Parking brake needs adjustment
                            Doors have locking issues
                            Speedo and some other gauges do not work
                            Front grill bent in slightly

Comment

Your greatest resource will be the FAQ (BMW2002FAQ.com).

There are a number of us on this forum that frequent the FAQ as we also own both e30s and 2002s. The amount of knowledge on the FAQ is unparallelled and should be used for your advantage. It's not hard to find what you're looking for, you need only ask.

And if you have way too much time on your hands and want to do some reading, check out one of my 02's that I've been keeping something of a blog on: http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=311258
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X