Looking at a 73 tii.

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Dozyproductions
    replied
    Originally posted by george graves
    I can't believe it took that many posts for this to be said.

    Don't start messing with a tii. Plenty of other 2002's to modify - don't do that to a tii.
    an m10 over s14? I fully understand where you're coming from but is it worth to save the 'originality' of the car if it's no fun to drive? After all, that's what he's buying the car for. (I hope!) Besides it's the perfect motor for the car and, one could argue, what it should of come with it if it wasn't for... time. We aren't talking about a m20 in an e30 m3.

    Leave a comment:


  • ttrousdell
    replied
    Originally posted by blunttech
    Looks nicer than described Tom. I just had the exact same issue on a Tii I just sold ... Ran great for 5 miles then started running poorly. Drain the tank, Pump the line clear. Change the fuel filter, Pull the sending unit and clean the screen. Pull the screen on the Kfish and clean it out. If you pull the 4 caps on the top of the Kfish do not use a magnet to remove the pistons. If you do all that I imagine youll get the same results I did. It ran great after that
    As always Steve thanks for the advice. Fingers crossed that's all it will need.

    Moving updates over to the build thread.

    Leave a comment:


  • ttrousdell
    replied
    Originally posted by Stanley Rockafella
    Looks like Recaro to me

    congrats on the score. Hopefully you'll be doing a frame off resto, cause that rust seems to have a good hold of it so far
    Well see how bad it is when i really start tearing into it. It will most likely turn into a bare shell going to paint but that might be years from now. I had no intention of buying another BMW at the momont becuase i dont have the space or really time for the project. However when life throws a tii roundie close to home for 3.5k at you exceptions can be made.

    Originally posted by LateFan
    I agree with others on gummed up fuel system or filter. As you say, it could be coolant sensors and the mixture as well.

    Congrats - looks like a score.

    Is this Polaris? I've always loved this little couple and their tasteful tweaked 2002.

    [ATTACH]100756[/ATTACH]
    thats a gorgeous car they have. Yes that looks like the same color. Again sorry im new to 2002s and unfamiliar with factory colors.
    Im going to buy tune up parts and go to where I have it (30 min drive from home) and see how it runs after.
    Originally posted by 2mAn
    They look kinda like the Orthoped Recaros, but Im no Recaro expert
    Looks the same.

    Leave a comment:


  • blunttech
    replied
    Looks nicer than described Tom. I just had the exact same issue on a Tii I just sold ... Ran great for 5 miles then started running poorly. Drain the tank, Pump the line clear. Change the fuel filter, Pull the sending unit and clean the screen. Pull the screen on the Kfish and clean it out. If you pull the 4 caps on the top of the Kfish do not use a magnet to remove the pistons. If you do all that I imagine youll get the same results I did. It ran great after that

    Leave a comment:


  • 2mAn
    replied
    They look kinda like the Orthoped Recaros, but Im no Recaro expert

    Leave a comment:


  • LateFan
    replied
    I agree with others on gummed up fuel system or filter. As you say, it could be coolant sensors and the mixture as well.

    Congrats - looks like a score.

    Is this Polaris? I've always loved this little couple and their tasteful tweaked 2002.

    Click image for larger version

Name:	02 couple.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	33.0 KB
ID:	7180132
    Last edited by LateFan; 09-25-2015, 10:44 AM. Reason: kaint spell fyoole

    Leave a comment:


  • Stanley Rockafella
    replied
    Originally posted by ttrousdell
    I love how original most of it is. Anyone know what the seats are?
    Looks like Recaro to me

    congrats on the score. Hopefully you'll be doing a frame off resto, cause that rust seems to have a good hold of it so far

    Leave a comment:


  • ttrousdell
    replied
    Originally posted by LJ851
    Man, i believe you scored.

    The drivability issue could be as simple as a fuel filter.

    Still has the original nose panel !
    I hope its that simple but i have a feeling it will be something a little more complicated. It hasnt been registered since 04' and the guy said he just left it out only starting it every now and then.

    I love how original most of it is. Anyone know what the seats are?

    Leave a comment:


  • jdt10768
    replied
    yes, that was a good deal - clean it up, routine maintenance

    Leave a comment:


  • LJ851
    replied
    Man, i believe you scored.

    The drivability issue could be as simple as a fuel filter.

    Still has the original nose panel !

    Leave a comment:


  • ttrousdell
    replied
    My plan is to keep it original. Not to worry guys.

    Well I came back yesterday night and bought the car.











    Got it about 2 miles down the road and then my troubles started. Car went from running well to bucking/loss of power. Fuel issue. The PO left no gas in the car so I figured it needed gas. Parked it next to this old merc and went to walmart to get a gas can and to the service station. Came back about 20 min later put the gas in and we were off again. Made it another 1/4 mile and then the same issues started. Slow loss of power till finally it didn't have enough balls to get above 1k rpm. Dying at idle.

    Im thinking i should have taken it for a longer test drive last night instead of just a few rips in his neighborhood to make sure it goes through all gears.


    Decided to call the tow.




    Happy intake boot.


    Interior and trunk








    After we got it off the tow truck i went to drive it again. Started right up and idled great. Whipped it around the block a few times and then the same issues stared. Gradual loss of power till it can barely move. Too me it seems like its after it gets warmed up.

    My girlfriend who drove me to walmart and waited an hour for the tow. I think she loves the car more than me right now.



    Tucked away in my uncle's lot. I dont imagine getting to it anytime in the next 6 months but its mine now and will be restored.

    Leave a comment:


  • phreshkid
    replied
    Polaris is my second or third favorite color or late roundies. Your car looks good from this angle. I have a 73 Polaris base model and it's getting a 2.5L S14 next year. Already have most of the motor bits.

    But yeah, I echo all those saying don't swap it. Keep a tii a tii. They are so enjoyable in stock configuration. Even more so with Bilstein HD and IE Stage 1 or something similar.

    Leave a comment:


  • Nesset
    replied
    73 is probably the most desirable year of the Tii. 74 if you're into square tails. But for 3500$ it sounds like a decent deal. Get ready to be wearing some safety glasses while you're under the car. When I got my 02 I learned rust in the ole' eyeballs is no fun. They are extremely nice cars to drive when set up right. The KF injection system can be a bit of a pain I've heard. But the community around the 2002 is one of the best I've seen as far as BMW's. A lot of original owners on the 2002faq more than exited to share stories and a vast knowledge on their cars. Everyone I've ever seen on the forum is really down to earth and there to have a good time. Check it out for hours of 2002 content :D

    Edit: Most of all. Enjoy it.
    Last edited by Nesset; 09-24-2015, 01:54 PM.

    Leave a comment:


  • 2002jm
    replied
    nice buy

    Glad someone got this one and it will be restored...great project and nice looking interior!
    jm

    Leave a comment:


  • SkiFree
    replied
    2002? is that the model year?






    .... I go by AceAndrew on the FAQ. If you want to get in touch with a couple 2002 guys pretty close to you let me know.
    Last edited by SkiFree; 09-24-2015, 02:15 PM.

    Leave a comment:

Working...