How to get started making music?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to get started making music?

I often have a song stuck in my head, usually some kind electronic/trance/dnb tune. Eventually I start imagining a remix to it, and wish I could actually make it. Or, I come up with original melodies that I want to make, or even just an ambient/atmospheric tune that could be a movie sound track or something. Regardless of what it is, I wish I knew how to get it out of my head and actually produce it. I've never taken music lessons or anything. Does anybody have any advice on where somebody with zero experience making music could get started?
    My Feedback

Get a USB electronic keyboard and search youtube for lessons to learn the keys. You can get a nice keyboard for around a hundred bucks and some of them come with software. If you have a mac use Garageband because it's free. Reason is good for trance

For keyboards you'll just want a "midi controller" which has USB connections. Don't bother paying for one of those yamahas with the speakers and all that

it's a Kenny Powers quote on wheels

Comment

Download FL Studio, Pro Tools, Logic(if you're on Mac), Ableton etc and get an interface for studio reference monitors and inputs for recording. Start playing around. Get a USB midi controller once you get into it a bit. LPK25 is a good cheap one to start but you will probably want something better if you get serious.

Also, youtube tutorials.

I have zero training in music, can hardly read sheet music but I can flip a sample.

Comment

Working...
      X